Trinity River NWR Hirsch Unit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
    I just muzzy hunted Hirsch for three days and saw a grand total of three squirrels. No deer tracks, no pig tracks, no pig rooting damage. My trail camera didn't snap a single photo over two nights. I walked all over the place from the river on the east side, all along the north property edge, overlooking the swamp in the middle, the gas pipeline right of way, etc etc. Mud holes with zero tracks in them says all you need to know. It is absolutely strange because there are acorns all over the place. I gave up on Hirsch. Luckily, I drew a tag for Brierwood too, and I've had good luck in there so yesterday afternoon I moved my stand from Hirsch to Brierwood, and will hunt it for the remainder of the muzzy hunt period.

How did brierwood go for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have to agree on the Hirsch. Complete waste of time. Won't be putting in again. Save my money and points for something with at least a chance of seeing a deer.

Comment

thanks for the feedback

Comment

I hate they moved this hunt over to the Draw Hunts. A lot of guys paid good money for hunts that used to cost $10 a chance with no other fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
            I drew the rifle hunt at The Trinity River NWR Hirsch Unit.

Anyone on here hunted at this location? I searched and the results mostly mention McGuire Unit, Brierwood Unit or Boars Den Unit... Only thing I found on Hirsch is like 8-10 years ago.

I'm sure it's like the others and probably covered up in hogs. Which is fine by me! I'll pop hogs all day long.

Just wanting to see if anyone has hunted it in recent years since it came online in the Drawn Hunt system. Something more recent would be nice...

Thanks for any info if anyone has any!
            I've hunted this place BEFORE TPWD got it to manage units (WAY cheaper then). This unit has hogs, hogs, hogs...and stays wet in some of the better areas for deer. Good duck hunting when timber flooded. As for as locals: DON'T leave anything exposed in your truck/car. One year-before I stop putting in for them, before TPWD got hold of units. I had put up a trail cameras in tree overlooking my truck. When I got back(may have scared him off), I noticed that someone tried breaking in truck. Check camera card, yep! Raggedy guy/girl was there. So I was driving out and they were walking down road towards main road. Now mind you there is NOTHING back there but trees, water. I asked if they seen anyone else, girl wouldn't even look my way. I had already call local sheriff (had proof of attempting to breaking in) yes some damage to door lock. Took them while to come out...this time on bikes(mind you they were walking at 1st). Sheriff and I were already looking at pictures. He ask them I'd they seen someone else back there.... the guy was nervous talking as his GF was trying to keep biking out. 2nd sheriff car came and stopped her. That's when sheriff showed them pictures. Then the girl went squealing he made me do it 'I didn't want anything to do with it'..
            So be careful about units in that area and don't leave anything in site

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by greyghost7 View Post
              I've hunted this place BEFORE TPWD got it to manage units (WAY cheaper then). This unit has hogs, hogs, hogs...and stays wet in some of the better areas for deer. Good duck hunting when timber flooded. As for as locals: DON'T leave anything exposed in your truck/car. One year-before I stop putting in for them, before TPWD got hold of units. I had put up a trail cameras in tree overlooking my truck. When I got back(may have scared him off), I noticed that someone tried breaking in truck. Check camera card, yep! Raggedy guy/girl was there. So I was driving out and they were walking down road towards main road. Now mind you there is NOTHING back there but trees, water. I asked if they seen anyone else, girl wouldn't even look my way. I had already call local sheriff (had proof of attempting to breaking in) yes some damage to door lock. Took them while to come out...this time on bikes(mind you they were walking at 1st). Sheriff and I were already looking at pictures. He ask them I'd they seen someone else back there.... the guy was nervous talking as his GF was trying to keep biking out. 2nd sheriff car came and stopped her. That's when sheriff showed them pictures. Then the girl went squealing he made me do it 'I didn't want anything to do with it'..
              So be careful about units in that area and don't leave anything in site

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Those were my fears when I hunted there last year. I didn't have any issues but I did certainly see some questionable people in the area.
              Also, the amount of stray dogs is heartbreaking. It definitely seems like a litter dump area. While I was hunting, I think I saw roughly 15+ dogs, mostly running around in packs. They seemed like essentially feral dogs.

I don't think I'd ever even waste the $3 app fee and **** sure don't wanna waste my preference points on this place again. Complete waste of time and energy.

Comment

Working...
              X