Perdernales Falls draw hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perdernales Falls draw hunt

My son drew the youth gun deer either sex dec 20-22. did a search in the public lands forum and not much there, anyone have any experience there?

Pretty area and usually target rich. Is it the annex or park? Both are nice. Bring fishing rod to fish under Falls for flatheads if you can get down there at night

Comment

Success rate is usually pretty high. Also lots of piggies to shoot.

Comment

Alfalfa if they allow it this year works best.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          Pretty area and usually target rich. Is it the annex or park? Both are nice. Bring fishing rod to fish under Falls for flatheads if you can get down there at night

Hey glen
          It’s the state park
          Kid loves to fish so I’ll be sure we bring the gear.
          Success rate last year was only 9% which is pretty surprising, I figure it should be loaded with deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntertex View Post
            Alfalfa if they allow it this year works best.

States only corn unfortunately

Comment

We tent camp there usually once a year or so and would throw tortillas to deer and watch them eat em at night lol. I’d say kid has a great chance of harvesting. It’s a beautiful place. We’ve always seen deer driving around and while hiking the trails

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                States only corn unfortunately

They have let us use alfalfa in the past. You just have to ask when you get there.

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My son drew it a few years ago and they had brush blinds set up under a tree so bring a comfy stool or chair. He shot a 14” 8 the first morning but when we went back in the afternoon a sure enough wall hanger was 100 yards out eating our hand corn. He was sick that he didn’t wait but that’s hunting when you only have a couple of days to get your deer.

Comment

Did this hunt with my oldest several years ago. It was assigned blinds which are cut up cedar. We took the ranger up on the offer to hunt the back of the park across the river. 4 wheel drive is a must to cross the river and there is some brush but nothing too bad. That's where the best bucks are typically taken if you are after that and have the truck to get you in. In the main park section is probably more numbers of deer but bigger buck chances will be in the back. I'd recommend using the brush blind as we tried a popup in the brush and the deer were really spooky of it and they don't allow you to cut any limbs to brush them in.

Good luck

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey Glen there should a string of post from my two hunts there. One was last year at the Annex. The other was a spike /antlerless hunt in the park. We hunted across the river then the second day they allow one of us to set up a tent blind in on of the camping areas. We killed 5 does and the Aoudad in my avatar. Another good area is what they call the duck pond area had a bunch of animals. We saw some good bucks across the river.
                        Good Luck

Comment

Hunted it several years back and best luck for killing does was in the campground area. Shot 5 pigs in one sitting, because they encouraged shooting them. Also went back and camped there this past summer and they had done quite a bit of controlled burns, so there was quite a bit of open area just past the front office area. It's assigned blinds face away from the road, and I had a really good size spike come from behind me crossing the road on the last morning. He got to within about ten yards before I looked behind me and saw him at the same time he saw me. LOL

Comment

Have hunted it twice on antlerless hunts. They assign blinds and they do a good job of putting them in spots where there is deer activity. Last hunt 3 years ago, three of us took 6 deer and 1 pig. Heard pigs every day in my stand but never saw one. Most (if not all) of the stands are from the campground area back to the falls, if you are familiar with the park. Stands are located along the road to the swimming area (just past the campground road), the road to the group camp area and back near the water treatment plant and bird blind. And usually every hunt they put one hunter in the back of the campground

A lot of deer there so surprised about the low success rate last year. Usually if you throw corn out, the deer will find it. Actually saw a couple real nice bucks (for the hill country) on our antlerless hunt so they are there. I was out there last spring and was surprised by the amount of hog sign. When we hunted 3 years ago, park staff said the pigs just really started showing up and they wanted every one you saw shot.

Good luck to your son.

Comment

They are so thick there you can just bring a bag of bricks and throw them at em.

Comment

Working...
                              X