Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crazzy View Post
    jshouse,

My kids and I will be there the weekend of the 22nd.
    I see in your pics you had your Ranger, I have a lifted golf cart I can take and wanted to know if you think it would be worth taking just to help get around on.
    Also any info on which blinds/compartments you were in when seeing the good WT and the Sambar.
    I like the pic from the beach, I fish that area quite often and I see wildlife on the ranch all the time. I'm hoping to be able to hunt near the bay as I know there are a few good Sambar over there.

I really appreciate all the info you have shared already.

Congrats on your hunt!
    We are about to hit the road back home but I'll get back with you tonight or tomorrow 👍

Thanks guys, coming from North Texas and getting to sit down here on the coast and watch these huge animals running around and ducks and birds flying everywhere was really cool.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
      We are about to hit the road back home but I'll get back with you tonight or tomorrow 👍

Thanks guys, coming from North Texas and getting to sit down here on the coast and watch these huge animals running around and ducks and birds flying everywhere was really cool.
      No problem, I really enjoyed this thread and really appreciate your willingness to share the info.
      Be careful traveling.

Comment

A short clip I got yesterday of the big Sambar we spotted walking along the beach. We think this is the one that came by the stand twice just a bit later in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
          A short clip I got yesterday of the big Sambar we spotted walking along the beach. We think this is the one that came by the stand twice just a bit later in the evening.

https://youtu.be/K0713yVu3dQ
          That's a good one!!!!!

Comment

i wanted to update this with a few things for anyone searching for info...the staff all said the flavor of the sambar is usually pretty good, but that the meat can be pretty chewy, especially from the big stags. they recommend grinding it all up into sausage or SAMburger, as they call it.

we tried the tenderloins from both stags last night, and the flavor was excellent. i am not a huge fan of whitetail to begin with, and have never had axis or elk, but this was very good, and much more comparable to beef IMO than wild game. but, it was chewy.

sliced really thin it wasnt too bad, but wasnt no ribeye. i gave one of the big ones to a buddy down the street and told him to slice it thin and he loved it, said it was as good as any steak hes ever had.

i would be interested to see how it came out if it was smoked or brasied.

i went through 3 knives skinning the spike, because i didnt have a stone, but their hide is THICK and skinning was quite a bit tougher than a WT. my buddy had to sharpen his blade at least 10 times while skinning the big one, and i was helping him.

be ready for the mosquitoes, they look like wasps and wore me out till i finally went and bought some spray.

Comment

Awesome jshouse

My boys will be down there the 22nd. Shooting sticks and bug spray... what about rubber boots, worthwhile? Anything else we should think about?

Thank you for posting and congrats on the success!!

Comment

Definitely rubber boots, 2 pair of you have them. When dragging Logan's out both our boots were full of water.

On the shooting sticks, you have to at least have them for sure, I wish Brock could have shot at the whitetail while seated. We had chairs, It just happened so fast he didn't have time to get situated. The Sambar will stand still eating long enough to get a good shot. Plus they are a huge target.

Logan walking up on his spike...

Comment

Good stuff, thanks again.
                  My other son actually hunted there with Tyhp years ago but I think they had fewer (and higher / drier) compartments then, so we did fine without boots. we’ll bring some this time.

Comment

Congrats, sounded like a great hunt!

Comment

Great to see

TxDad Outdoors-YouTube

Comment

Getting ready to head south after baseball practice tomorrow night! Hoping for a chill weekend at the coast with lots of dead ungulates and fish coming home with us!

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post
                          Getting ready to head south after baseball practice tomorrow night! Hoping for a chill weekend at the coast with lots of dead ungulates and fish coming home with us!
                          good luck sir, hoping for the same for you guys

from what we saw, you guys should do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post

Good luck, hope y’all have a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tuned in! Ready to see some LDPs. Good luck!

Comment

Living the dream!

Comment

Working...
                                X