Drawn for Javelina Davis Mountains SP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
    Worked at the ranch next door to the non park side. Prude ranch. As a ranch hand and then as a camp counselor. It was a good summer. I love that country.

I went horseback riding w the family on the Prude last summer when we were out there and the camps were closed due to covid. We saw an incredible amount of aoudads up on the mountain during the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
      I went horseback riding w the family on the Prude last summer when we were out there and the camps were closed due to covid. We saw an incredible amount of aoudads up on the mountain during the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I bet that's still some clear dark sky at night. When we weren't stretching fence or moving horses, we could ride in our off time. The summer campers spent a lot of time in horseback, and not trail rides. Group rides. Each camper was expected to control their own horse and taught to walk, trot and gallop. Dunno if they still do it that way. Got to ride in the Fort Davis 4th parade and since my horse was a big palamino I rode at the front. Just a small town parade but it was fun.

First time I saw a guy nearly get disemboweled when a barb wire fence snapped. Don't stretch those things with a pickup truck! We rode everyday. Now my knees just hurt thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by gabeo View Post
        Me and the wife were also drawn Oct 2 we drove down today to check it out lots of green for this time of year I brought back maps if you would like for me to send you a copy

How was it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just an update on our hunt. Hunted hard Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday morning wind was 30 plus on Tuesday never saw a javalina walk the whole bottom around the mountain hunted over water which is everywhere they have had a very wet summer which we were told is not the norm. Never even spooked anything will walking did see 2 groups of aoudad on Monday evening and was able to watch them for about an hour several really nice rams saw several doe. Very beautiful country just a tough place to hunt with a bow we did have a blast on a positive note. There were 2 groups that hunted before us and did not have an luck either

Comment

Originally posted by mchunter67 View Post
            Just an update on our hunt. Hunted hard Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday morning wind was 30 plus on Tuesday never saw a javalina walk the whole bottom around the mountain hunted over water which is everywhere they have had a very wet summer which we were told is not the norm. Never even spooked anything will walking did see 2 groups of aoudad on Monday evening and was able to watch them for about an hour several really nice rams saw several doe. Very beautiful country just a tough place to hunt with a bow we did have a blast on a positive note. There were 2 groups that hunted before us and did not have an luck either
            Was aoudad on the kill list/allowed to be hunted?

Comment

No my understanding they were several years ago i asked about it at orientation and they did not have an answer as to why they were removed

Comment

the Aoudad were removed from the hunting list anyplace that might have bighorn sheep.

Comment

Working...
                X