No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just shot a cow. Went to look for arrow. Didn’t find it. Used my 40 yd pin on her but she was closer than the bush I ranged so the shots likely high. Giving it 30 mins before I go looking.

Did hear a whack at the shot, but I’m about deaf in one ear so idk how much validity I put to that. I wouldn’t say it sounded like bone.

I’m shakin like a leaf typing this!!!

Comment

Y'all are doing well this week. If the winds lays down a little, tomorrow should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
        Appreciate it!

Question guys, there are really volunteers that will help retrieve a Nilgai?

After 2.5 miles of pack out on that buck, I should call it good and head in, but there is a ton of fresh Nilgai sign in that area evident from the rain and I’m itching to get back in there! It’s cold enough I could hang this meat till dark. But if I kill a Nilgai in there I’m up a creek without help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        First off, way to go on a great buck! Do mine eyes detect a frontal shot?

Second:
        You can go for a double... or you can wonder what might have been. It's up to you dude!

Comment

How do y’all post pics I’ve been trying and no luck was going to post board from yesterday evening and my cow

Comment

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Appreciate it!

Question guys, there are really volunteers that will help retrieve a Nilgai?

After 2.5 miles of pack out on that buck, I should call it good and head in, but there is a ton of fresh Nilgai sign in that area evident from the rain and I’m itching to get back in there! It’s cold enough I could hang this meat till dark. But if I kill a Nilgai in there I’m up a creek without help.

I sent you a PM. I know a couple guys who will help. Now go get it done!

Last edited by jrhickman13; 01-10-2022, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Tracking now. Ain’t looking good. No arrow, no blood

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                Tracking now. Ain’t looking good. No arrow, no blood
                Man hope you find her mine was same way no blood no arrow but watched closely the way they took off and followed that route.

Comment

Keep at it Kirby. If you were in trees...look head high at trees to see if arrow is buried in the tree. it has happened to me before.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by RDR View Post
                    How do y’all post pics I’ve been trying and no luck was going to post board from yesterday evening and my cow
                    Most folks use tapatalk on their phones. I haven't installed it yet on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by RDR View Post
                      Man hope you find her mine was same way no blood no arrow but watched closely the way they took off and followed that route.

I’ve followed the route for 400 yds on about the heaviest tracks I’ve found.

Does the group usually stick together even if ones hit? On the same travel route I mean. I only saw one cow after the shot but she was about 200 yds down when I saw her. Didn’t see the other one, but it could be that I didn’t get to where I could see in time.

Comment

It's good to see y'all are still kicking but, down there.
                        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 01-10-2022, 07:11 PM.

Comment

10-4 on that!! You too David!

That is the most beautiful Christmas tree I’ve ever seen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                            I’ve followed the route for 400 yds on about the heaviest tracks I’ve found.

Does the group usually stick together even if ones hit? On the same travel route I mean. I only saw one cow after the shot but she was about 200 yds down when I saw her. Didn’t see the other one, but it could be that I didn’t get to where I could see in time.
                            Mine followed the heard she was in but would sway in and out of the group with her head down lower. She didn’t run in straight path like the rest of the heard. But she stayed next to them.

Comment

10-4 on that!! You too David!

That is a bad arse picture!!! Congrats man on a nice buck

Comment

Laguna Atascosa 2021

This ones gonna bug me for a long time. Got setup this evening around 1pm and had all sorts of sign. Wound up seeing a spike, then I look to my left and those 2 cows were feeding from left to my right. They stopped behind some brush and kept looking back behind them at some sort of boat noise. I had an opening where I ranged a mesquite at 40 and the lead cow was closer than the tree. I didn’t wanna have to draw with 2 sets of eyes, so I feel like I rushed the shot. I probably should’ve waited until she was fully broadside but she was slightly quartering away with her head turned 45 degrees away from where she was facing. That slight quartering is probably why I didn’t get a pass through.

I wound up having to call it. I marked the spot where I lost sight of the cows. 185yds.

From there I just started walking the heaviest trails I could find and it turned into a spiderweb of trails. Wish I had set on this earlier in the week.

Anyways, I got about 400 yds in from the marked spot according to OnX and got completely turned around were it not for my gps. There’s so much sign in here that I couldn’t follow fresh tracks to differentiate between it.

Didn’t help that I was 4 miles back in there either. Total butt whopping getting out, even without an animal down.
                                Last edited by Kirby86; 01-10-2022, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X