No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wife and I are headed down there on Wednesday.

I’m bringing a tripod for her, but idk how many days she’ll hang in there.

We’re staying in Port Isabel and driving a black bed linered FJ cruise if anyone wants to say hi!

Comment

Headed down on the 12th, for the last rifle hunt. Any updates / information will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Can anyone confirm cell service for AT&T down there? Looks like work is going to follow me unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
          Can anyone confirm cell service for AT&T down there? Looks like work is going to follow me unfortunately.

AT&T worked where I was. Not sure deep in the thick though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

AT&T worked for me just about everywhere out there. I went way back in 3 and 5 and it was fine there.

Comment

If you haven’t packed a battery power bank yet I would do so along with your charger. Your cell will run low quick searching for service out there.. plus, for those all day sits and surfing the web/playing games on your cell.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
                If you haven’t packed a battery power bank yet I would do so along with your charger. Your cell will run low quick searching for service out there.. plus, for those all day sits and surfing the web/playing games on your cell.
                Excellent tip. I will add it to the list. Thanks for the affirmation guys!

Comment

Originally posted by RibcageX View Post
                  Headed down on the 12th, for the last rifle hunt. Any updates / information will be greatly appreciated.
                  I will also be there for the last rifle hunt. I was there already in November for the first archery hunt with some close encounters but no luck myself. one member in our group took a cow up in unit 4. It will be interesting to see what’s left for the rifle hunt especially since units 1,4, and 6 will be off limits.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntorFish View Post
                    I will also be there for the last rifle hunt. I was there already in November for the first archery hunt with some close encounters but no luck myself. one member in our group took a cow up in unit 4. It will be interesting to see what’s left for the rifle hunt especially since units 1,4, and 6 will be off limits.

5 seemed to be where the most were spotted on our rifle hunt in December. It’s also where the biologist was telling everyone to go though. Things can change quickly though especially with the pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by HogStalker View Post
                      My question is. If you’re camping and hunting 3 are you really driving all the way around and in and biking there or illegally entering from the North?

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                      great question! Man I personally love unit 3 most bit every time I’ve been back there, I’ve seen more guys entering and leaving that way than taking the long trek like I did every single time! 3.3 miles on a bike from the first gate in unit 8 to the bridge entering 3. Then another mile walk to some waterholes. Wish they would allow entrance that way bc I would focus on 3 every time but I’m sure more people would too.
                      To answer your question, I was camping at the county park north of the refuge and did drive around, bike in, then hike around, every time. Can't speak for anyone else. Didn't see anyone break the rules, but was a rifle hunt and only 35 permits/hunters.

There were some local guys that milked/cheated the system by using an ATV because of a supposed ankle surgery. They killed three nilgai the first night, and the guy with the ankle surgery went in on his own to recover the third while his buddy stayed at the truck with the other two nilgai and their gear. Hard for me to believe he had a bad ankle when he retrieved a full grown nilgai by himself.

Comment

Originally posted by HankTheTank View Post
                        To answer your question, I was camping at the county park north of the refuge and did drive around, bike in, then hike around, every time. Can't speak for anyone else. Didn't see anyone break the rules, but was a rifle hunt and only 35 permits/hunters.

There were some local guys that milked/cheated the system by using an ATV because of a supposed ankle surgery. They killed three nilgai the first night, and the guy with the ankle surgery went in on his own to recover the third while his buddy stayed at the truck with the other two nilgai and their gear. Hard for me to believe he had a bad ankle when he retrieved a full grown nilgai by himself.

Wow! Yeah that’s going above and beyond. Some people, I tell ya.

Comment

Originally posted by HankTheTank View Post

Here was the ankle three weeks prior to that hunt. I had to quit the morning of day 2 because I was stupid and pushed it too much.
                          You failed to mention that "going in on my own and retrieving a full grown nilgai by himself" was the equivalent of driving said four wheeler to where the cow was laying on a game cart on the road and was simply hooked up to the four wheeler and driven out.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
                            Here was the ankle three weeks prior to that hunt. I had to quit the morning of day 2 because I was stupid and pushed it too much.
                            You failed to mention that "going in on my own and retrieving a full grown nilgai by himself" was the equivalent of driving said four wheeler to where the cow was laying on a game cart on the road and was simply hooked up to the four wheeler and driven out.
                            Whelp, sorry bud. I remember you went back in (on the ATV) but, with an empty cart you had to load yourself. Sorry if I'm mistaken about that detail.

From my perspective, ya'll had an ATV to run around unit 5 and maximize success based on you having a bad ankle and at the cost of potentially ruining other hunters opportunities in the area. Your buddy shared ya'lls method of success with me which involved walking through thick brush throughout that day (difficult, even without an injury). With the available information and observations, it appeared to me you worked the system.

Right or wrong, it's not unreasonable that I reached that conclusion if you step back and look at the situation from my perspective.

Anyway, back to topic and good luck on the rest of the hunts everyone. Look forward to seeing more success and a full board.

Comment

Has anyone explored unit 4? Debating if I should haul the kayak down.

Comment

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Originally posted by kmhudd View Post
                                Has anyone explored unit 4? Debating if I should haul the kayak down.

Looks like 6 animals were taken out of 4. If it’s open for your hunt and you are able to pack out your animal on said Kayak. It might prove fruitful.

Comment

Working...
                                X