No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As per George Garcia, We may only beach on south side. Accessible by water only. Will be a tough hunt and lots of work to retrieve an animal

Comment

I’ll be camping at Adolph thomae and will be bringing my kayak if anyone wants to work as a team. I shot a cow here before but haven’t been to unit 4, so it will be a new area for me. I assume we can paddle from the park to unit 4 and still be legal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky333 View Post
        I’ll be camping at Adolph thomae and will be bringing my kayak if anyone wants to work as a team. I shot a cow here before but haven’t been to unit 4, so it will be a new area for me. I assume we can paddle from the park to unit 4 and still be legal?

Correct. If we harvest something in unit 4 and want to take the hide, you must call TAHD and they will come to the park to pick up the hide. Since it would be against the rules/laws to travel outside the refuge without the hide being sprayed.

Unit 4 is a game changer and only makes the hunt even tougher! I love it!

Comment

Wow. Unit 4 is very similar to much of the Bahia Grande unit. VERY little cover except in the slightly taller stuff on McGilvery Island. Keep low until they get close enough to shoot, or all you'll see is their behinds running away at high speed and great distance. And especially watch out for snakes. GO GET 'EM! Looking forward to some reports this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky333 View Post

Page 4 of the rules state under prohibited activities:

-Use of, or hunting from, any type of watercraft or floating device...

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
              Page 4 of the rules state under prohibited activities:

-Use of, or hunting from, any type of watercraft or floating device...

Boat or kayak is the only way to access Unit 4 and is allowed that unit only. You must beach boat/kayak and not hunt from it.

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
                Boat or kayak is the only way to access Unit 4 and is allowed that unit only. You must beach boat/kayak and not hunt from it.

FYI, the barge traffic in the arroyo is pretty heavy. I am sure kayakers will pull their kayaks completely out of the water. If you take a boat, don't just put your power pole down. Take an anchor out, secure it to the front of the boat, and get it in the dirt. When a barge comes down, it will suck the water out around both shorelines. If your boat isn't secure, it's going to get sucked out with it. Would make for a bad ending to a hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post
                  FYI, the barge traffic in the arroyo is pretty heavy. I am sure kayakers will pull their kayaks completely out of the water. If you take a boat, don't just put your power pole down. Take an anchor out, secure it to the front of the boat, and get it in the dirt. When a barge comes down, it will suck the water out around both shorelines. If your boat isn't secure, it's going to get sucked out with it. Would make for a bad ending to a hunt.

I’ve seen that happen many times lol

Comment

So what makes unit 4 so attractive? Lack of roads? There's hardly any cover out there from what I can see on maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                      So what makes unit 4 so attractive? Lack of roads? There's hardly any cover out there from what I can see on maps.

I hear there are bare chested women over there.

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
                        I hear there are bare chested women over there.

Better not let my wife hear that!

Comment

There’s nothing worthwhile in unit 4. Just rattlesnakes and alligators. Stay away from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Whalerboy67 View Post
                            There’s nothing worthwhile in unit 4. Just rattlesnakes and alligators. Stay away from it.
                            Oh come on, you just want it all to yourself

The lack of cover is what the nilgai love most about it -- they see you long before you see them.

Comment

Looks like we got about 4.5” of rain out there last night…

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack1975 View Post
                                Looks like we got about 4.5” of rain out there last night…
                                Dang... that's a lot of water. Anyone ever just wear waders down there?

Comment

Working...
                                X