caddo nat. grasslands wma TURKEY??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

caddo nat. grasslands wma TURKEY??

anyone ever hunt turkeys here??? i am in hopkins county and looks like fannin county is not to far away. thought i was going to get a drawn hunt at cooper wma but that fell through. anyway hopefully this will be another option. I hate scramblin around looking for a place, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah I got a stand-by permit there about 6 or 7 years ago. They assigned me the compartment along the west side of Davey Crockett Lake. I didn't see or hear any birds in 2 days of hunting. I had applied a couple hours earlier that morning at Pat Mayse but they weren't doing any stand-by permits but the guy said I might get one at Caddo WMA so I rushed over there and got one(permit). It sucks because I see birds almost EVERY time I'm deer hunting at Pat Mayse! The eastern birds they stocked love that WMA. It's hard to draw a permit or get a stand-by at Pat Mayse though. I believe the birds at Caddo are Rios. I wasn't aware there was a draw hunt at Cooper? I've never seen any birds around the lake.

Comment

Links

The Caddo has Easterns. Try north of 409 and SW of Monkstown along Bois D'Arc Creek.

Comment

what about the ladonia unit? has anyone ever seen any turkeys over there?

Comment

Turkeys at Caddo

North units at Caddo were under a prescribed burn this past Friday, not sure about Saturday and Sunday, drove 68 miles to find warning signs posted at sign in points, all stating the burn was to start on 4-03-09, it would have been nice to have somekind of notice on TPWD website indicating the scheduled burn, nonetheless I was able to hunt further south and video some turkey (hen) did not see any gobblers.
          IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
          I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

They have had 16 eastern gobblers checked in so far this season. Hunters killed birds the day after the prescribed burn in the blackened area.

Comment

That hen probably had a nest nearby or was fixin to make one.

Comment

thanks for the info guys.

Comment

What the are like now up there? never hunted and I'm planning a trip for birds. can anyone point me to area that may help newbie chances of seeing/tagging bird-not looking for your honey hole just some help. I plan on using my bow to take bird.

Comment

i'll let ya know, i heading up there on monday. hoping to at least see some birds.

Comment

ok i went to the wrong spot, went south east of monkstown. didn't see anything. going back next week to south west of monkstown as advised. wish me luck. i need it!!

Comment

Yes, but...

Good amount of huntable toms, but just like any WMA, ya gotta scout scout scout, then get there first. Also, last few years, birds have been roosting on neighboring private properties. So hunting borders is key. But be respectful to other hunters, shouldn't have to be mentioned but WMA's are starting to be filled in inconsiderate people.

Comment

Working...
                        X