Bahia Grande

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
    Scout Day report. According to the rangers there are only EIGHTEEN bow hunters this weekend!
    The place is CRAZY. Went in just after sunrise. There was no place that DIDN'T have nilgai -- bulls, cows, cows with calves (or whatever the young one are called). I saw more nilgai in 90 minutes than in 10 solid days in the main Refuge. Also, they were wary but not skittish -- the didn't run away from me, either when stopped to glass them from the truck, or on foot. I'm not saying they came over to eat from my hand, but my past experience with these beasts is "they see me, they run away, fast" and that was definitely not true today. Three times I got within about 150 yards of big bulls and I just stood still each time while they slowly walked away.
    That's an awesome report! Can't wait to hear more about the hunt this weekend. Y'all are pioneering this unit and has to be exciting. Good luck and keep us updated! I'll be out there the first weekend of muzzleloader/slug shotguns in 2 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by AHunter View Post
      That's an awesome report! Can't wait to hear more about the hunt this weekend. Y'all are pioneering this unit and has to be exciting. Good luck and keep us updated! I'll be out there the first weekend of muzzleloader/slug shotguns in 2 weeks
      Oh how I wish I could shoot my muzzleloader this weekend.

Comment

any chance of making pit blinds close to trails

Comment

Originally posted by ppeeks59 View Post
          Scout Day report. According to the rangers there are only EIGHTEEN bow hunters this weekend!
          The place is CRAZY. Went in just after sunrise. There was no place that DIDN'T have nilgai -- bulls, cows, cows with calves (or whatever the young one are called). I saw more nilgai in 90 minutes than in 10 solid days in the main Refuge. Also, they were wary but not skittish -- the didn't run away from me, either when stopped to glass them from the truck, or on foot. I'm not saying they came over to eat from my hand, but my past experience with these beasts is "they see me, they run away, fast" and that was definitely not true today. Three times I got within about 150 yards of big bulls and I just stood still each time while they slowly walked away.
          As for terrain, on the Hwy 48 side BEFORE you get to the first bridge, there is some decent brush that might allow use of a tripod stand or well-brushed in ground blind. AFTER you cross the first bridge, it is almost barren, like the barren area of Unit 3 in the main reserve. There is almost no cover. There are just a few small patches of mixed yucca and other low brush that will allow hunting from the ground, but good luck to us trying to close the gap to shooting distance. There are a couple of other small brushy areas but I'm not sure that they are thick or tall enough to conceal you if you are on a half-height tripod stand. I'm hunting on the ground tomorrow, doing what I can to hide myself.
          Good luck to all!

Thanks for this report. I’m on next weekends now hunt so I’m looking forward to your follow up. Best of luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was in a good spot but another hunter tried to spot and stalk to where I was at and spooked them outa here. It was not his fault. He didn't know I was there until he was about 75 yards away. I watch him getting closer to me from about 300 yards out[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787].

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Anybody get a kill yet

Comment

I just saw a bunch of cows running East on the West end off of highway 100 as I'm driving home.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Ranger said no kills brought in today, as of about 45 minutes ago. It got cold and nasty when a front pushed through at about 1pm and that definitely slowed the movement where I was. I saw maybe 20 nilgai this morning. A group of two cows, a young bull, and a big mature bull came close to me. I passed on 50 yard shot at one of the cows to take the shot a few seconds later at the big bull. He got to about 60 yards and I shot underneath him aaaaarrrggghhhh. I don't have a 60 yard pin so just guessed by the gap between my 40 and 50, it wasn't enough. Went to look for that arrow after a while and no more animals in view. I didn't find it but I did find this, so I stopped looking for the arrow.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like ppeeks59.

Back at it in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
                    I just saw a bunch of cows running East on the West end off of highway 100 as I'm driving home.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
                    There's definitely a lot of life at the west end. But it is **** near impossible to bow hunt there because of the almost complete absence of cover. Several of us who scouted there yesterday have already written off any attempt. Now, the muzzleloaders and slug-gunners might have a better chance since they don't need to get as close as us archery types do.

Comment

If anyone finds a cow with an arrow in her shoulder, message me, I’d like to get my arrow back. Wind pushed my arrow a little to far forward.

Comment

Archery here in Bajia Grande is extremely challenging. Those of you coming next week, I suggest you practice up to 60 or 70 yards. If not you might as well just leave your bow at home and just come and watch. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]. You will get your close shots but don't hold your breath for one.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                          Archery here in Bajia Grande is extremely challenging. Those of you coming next week, I suggest you practice up to 60 or 70 yards. If not you might as well just leave your bow at home and just come and watch. [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]. You will get your close shots but don't hold your breath for one.

Thanks for the encouragement [emoji23]. Time to get busy throwing Hail Marys

Comment

Originally posted by mbures1919 View Post
                            If anyone finds a cow with an arrow in her shoulder, message me, I’d like to get my arrow back. Wind pushed my arrow a little to far forward.

Are you guys using ground blinds or just natural cover?

Comment

We have ground blinds, but I wouldn’t recommend them. When I shot mine, I was sitting on the ground behind some salt grass. I would recommend a short chair, like a turkey hunting chair. Or a stadium seat. Get behind some natural vegetation.

Comment

Tan ghillie suit. Wish I had one for this hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X