No announcement yet.

Matagorda Island WMA General Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This weather is a blessing. It will cut down on the skeeters.

I was there a few years ago with similar weather. It was darn near skeetee free.

Good news about the burn, it should help the hunting. That grass is so tall most of the deer slip buy unknown.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      Man that’s going to be a crappy boat ride in there. lol. Good luck. It’s a hunt I’ve always wanted to do, but I’m too much of a sissy to camp.
      No joke on the boat ride. But the ol el pescador should be able to handle it pretty good. I’m just excited to hunt something completely new again.
      Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
      This weather is a blessing. It will cut down on the skeeters.

I was there a few years ago with similar weather. It was darn near skeetee free.

Good news about the burn, it should help the hunting. That grass is so tall most of the deer slip buy unknown.

I sure hope you’re right. Definitely gonna have the glass on my face the entire time

Comment

If you know the area, there's ways around the worst of the rough water running the east side of the bay.

I wish I had seen this sooner. Here's a recap from my previous hunt a few years back. It was a poor hunt overall for the group but a great experience.

Matagorda Island Report

Comment

If you know the area, there's ways around the worst of the rough water running the east side of the bay.

I wish I had seen this sooner. Here's a recap from my previous hunt a few years back. It was a poor hunt overall for the group but a great experience.

Matagorda Island Report

I know a few routes so should be ok.
          Good write up. I will be pleased with any animal honestly. Don’t plan to be too picky

Comment

Check out 5D Steakhouse if you want a good home cooked meal in POC. It's a fairly new restaurant.

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
              Check out 5D Steakhouse if you want a good home cooked meal in POC. It's a fairly new restaurant.
              5D is pretty good. Have eaten there many times in Karnes City and Carrizo springs. Never in POC though.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                I know a few routes so should be ok.
                Good write up. I will be pleased with any animal honestly. Don’t plan to be too picky
                Don't be too loose though, there's decent bucks to be had out there. Plenty of doe also depending on your stands, don't be afraid to move spots if you don't see anything and glass glass glass.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  Don't be too loose though, there's decent bucks to be had out there. Plenty of doe also depending on your stands, don't be afraid to move spots if you don't see anything and glass glass glass.

I won’t be too loose but not extra picky either. I’m in #32 on the dunes for this afternoon. Gonna be a long poke to the dunes is one steps out over there. Deer are on their feet for sure. Saw 5-6 does in the ride out here. Hopefully movement continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I won’t be too loose but not extra picky either. I’m in #32 on the dunes for this afternoon. Gonna be a long poke to the dunes is one steps out over there. Deer are on their feet for sure. Saw 5-6 does in the ride out here. Hopefully movement continues.

Gonna send you a PM. Got some intel for ya.

Comment

I was on the dunes side which was cool glassing deer with the GOM in the background.

All of the bucks I saw were crossing the dunes with barely enough time to set up for the 400 yard plus shot.

I bet the ride out to your stand was fun in the bed of the truck this evening. But hey, at least the sketters won't bother you.

Best of luck, it's a fun and very unique hunt.

Comment

I was on the dunes side which was cool glassing deer with the GOM in the background.

All of the bucks I saw were crossing the dunes with barely enough time to set up for the 400 yard plus shot.

I bet the ride out to your stand was fun in the bed of the truck this evening. But hey, at least the sketters won't bother you.

Best of luck, it's a fun and very unique hunt.

It was definitely a new experience hunting sand dunes for deer. I enjoyed it but it was very slow for me. Only two deer seen all afternoon. Couple decent bucks were killed though.
                        Yea that truck ride is run. They haul arse and hit every **** hole. But yes not one mosquito. Switching stands in the morning and gonna along lead no matter what.

Comment

How did the hunt finish out for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                            How did the hunt finish out for you?
                            Dang it forgot to come back for a final review.
                            I came home empty handed but that’s fine by me. Fired two shots total at does that were long long ways off. Hunted Monday and Tuesday only and then came in before the North wind picked up. I was solo so leaving early was a no browner for me instead of fighting the elements for a deer. Hunted #32 Monday afternoon. Saw a spike and doe at 372. Let one fly at the doe but never found her. Plus I had another set of eyes on me while trying to walk thru some reeds ad mud on a big water hole where I shot at her. Decided to back out bc it was getting em dark fast and I didn’t want to become gator bait. Tuesday morning I switched stands to Light House North. Got it before daylight and setting in for a long uneventful sit until about 830 when a small doe appeared about 200 yards south/SE of me. Same time had a long horned spike at about 250 on the dunes to my NE. Didn’t wanna short either so I just held off until we were picked up by staff. I was surprised by the body size of those deer. Heaviest deer killed a decent 17” wide 10 pointer. He weighed in 92.3 dressed. Overall it was fun hunt because it was somewhere new and didn’t know what to expect. I’ll be applying for it like I do every year. Hope to be back soon and try my luck at a long range animal.

Comment

Working...
                            X