No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bike is crucial! On the scout day I did 21 miles with about 4 or 5 miles being on foot, maybe a little over kill. On average I would say I did about 4 or 5 miles on the bike and 2 or 3 miles on foot. I’m sure guys were more successful than me and covered less distance but I found I came across more game if I strategically moved around during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s the board as of 2:30

Also, I guess God is telling me to rest. This happened on my way to my new set this afternoon.

Goodluck to all y’all. I’ll be back at them in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post

Also, I guess God is telling me to rest. This happened on my way to my new set this afternoon.

Hate to see that, you know we need to hear the story on that one

Comment

I’ve logged a lot of miles on my bike over the last 4 days. Today I made a big move. I had just finished scouting the only two units I hadn’t been in and moved my set. I was heading in for the afternoon. Apparently over the course of all those miles, the screws holding my quiver mount worked loose. The quiver fell off my bow (which is mounted on an improvised ATV rack on the front of my bike). Before I could even hit the brakes, there was a horribly loud pop. Locked up the brakes and behind me lay my quiver on one side and the ends of all 4 of my arrows on the other. By the time I got back to my hotel for more arrows and back to my set, it would have been 5:30. I did not want to ruin this new spot. It’s on the hottest Nilgai sign I’ve seen in 4 days. So hopefully tomorrow is the day.

Comment

Looks like a pretty slow hunt based on that board, or maybe some hunters didn’t show up.

He could also be telling you to switch to Full Metal Jackets, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by gdouty View Post
              Looks like a pretty slow hunt based on that board, or maybe some hunters didn’t show up.

He could also be telling you to switch to Full Metal Jackets, lol.

LOL. Even if I had FMJ’s... I wouldn’t have trusted them to fly true after running them over.

Comment

After getting skunked the first two days we took a day off to Celebrate my daughter's first bday with the family. I saw a bunch of Nilgai but I don't think the zoo would appreciate me shooting one. At least we finally saw some nilgai. Now we are well rested and ready to try again tomorrow!
                Attached Files

Comment

Seems to be consistent with all the folks I've talked to...least in unit 1. It is dry dry dry and no one seeing much of anything. I have seen bull, cow ,calves and whitetail, but not in bow range.

My buddy was at a pond with a big gator in it. He was visited today by a mountain lion and. Bobcat. The bobcat stayed around a while. With 6 being closed...Lotta overflow into unit 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                    Seems to be consistent with all the folks I've talked to...least in unit 1. It is dry dry dry and no one seeing much of anything. I have seen bull, cow ,calves and whitetail, but not in bow range.

My buddy was at a pond with a big gator in it. He was visited today by a mountain lion and. Bobcat. The bobcat stayed around a while. With 6 being closed...Lotta overflow into unit 1.
                    They are there, been in 1 and 2 seen decent number of nilgai and deer in both.

Comment

Good luck to all this morning!

Comment

Well I was able to get an arrow into a cow at last light last night. Gave it an hour and started looking. Between 5 of us we couldn’t find any blood and no arrow. Searched where I heard her run to try and pick up a trail but nothing. It’s sucks but that’s how bow hunting goes sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
                          Well I was able to get an arrow into a cow at last light last night. Gave it an hour and started looking. Between 5 of us we couldn’t find any blood and no arrow. Searched where I heard her run to try and pick up a trail but nothing. It’s sucks but that’s how bow hunting goes sometimes.

Man, that stinks. Hard to get a pass through on them which makes the blood trail rough. Lot of times it lodges in the off side.

Comment

I planned on an all day sit today, but I had a work emergency. I’m in the truck making phone calls for a client. Hoping to wrap this up within an hour and get back out.

Comment

Man, that stinks. Hard to get a pass through on them which makes the blood trail rough. Lot of times it lodges in the off side.

Yep. She was quartering towards me looking at me so I tried to put it midway up her throat with the hope of cutting the jugular and her airway. Just couldn’t make it happen.

Comment

I've had one run 1000 yards with a cut jugular. About 150 of those yards were after she bled out.

Comment

Working...
                                X