Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty light day at Laguna.

I passed this guy on the road. He packed that doe out on foot.

I also know a 4pt was shot and not recovered and another tiny doe was shot this evening. Guy staying at my hotel said he had a bull this evening come to 25 yards. He took a frontal shot and only got about 6 inches of penetration. Saw the broken arrow. Tough break, but that’s a tough shot to accomplish with a bow on these animals.

I saw a cow and calf at about 400 yards this morning. I sat until noon and then swapped up locations, had a little lunch, and hunted the evening. Fairly uneventful. Goodluck to all of y’all out here this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
      Mathews Halon 32
      72lbs Draw Weight
      31" Arrow
      561 Grains
      285 fps
      Magnus Stinger

Pure destruction.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
      Had a similar situation last year.
      Attached Files

Comment

Well my trip is not going well. Scouting day i haul my tripod seat out to my spot in 8. Set it down and decided to scout the area abit before I went back and got the legs for it. By the time I got back to the spot my seat had vanished. So if someone happend to see it and picked it up to keep the abandoned trash of the refuge I'd gladly like to get it back.
        And today I saw nothing like

Comment

Well my trip is not going well. Scouting day i haul my tripod seat out to my spot in 8. Set it down and decided to scout the area abit before I went back and got the legs for it. By the time I got back to the spot my seat had vanished. So if someone happend to see it and picked it up to keep the abandoned trash of the refuge I'd gladly like to get it back.
          And today I saw nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by mgperez View Post
            Had a similar situation last year.
            And what did that broadhead come into contact with?
            Mine hit a rib on entrance.

Comment

Scouting day blew a tire 4 miles in on ebike spent the next several hours walking it out. Had just got to my area when that happened and had just seen big bull. Today I stayed little closer to gate but still had a little action

Comment

Long day of hunting. We didn’t make it in from Houston until 2:15 am. Didn’t realize the Adolph Thomae Park wouldn’t let us in after 10 so we slept for an hour in the truck, then set out on the morning hunt. Saw a cow and calf nilgai, a hog and saw a WT buck this evening. Nothing in shooting range. Met some good folks but I already know this hunt is challenging. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Comment

Yeah man they are tough critters! That broadhead pictured is a 125 Grain Solid with a 340 11.3 GPI FMJ behind it. It was tight behind the shoulder but did the same hitting a rib. I had the same luck the year before on another cow, same spot, same distance (60 yds) I hit that one at the base of her neck she was on the move and I lead her too far. 5 weeks later a rifle hunter killed her and I found the pic on TBH.

I killed a good bull with a Solid 125 paired with a Beeman 340 9.3 GPI years ago had great placement and a clean pass through at 38 yds. I’ve also used them on elk and had great success. The one that folded was refurbished I think the tip was not as sharp as it should have been. My fault on using that particular broadhead should have kept better track of them in my quiver. I’m shooting slick trick 125 now with an FMJ. Them single bevels should be the ticket though!

Hopefully this will be my year down there at LANWR been rough luck the passed few years but we give them hell every year and always an awesome hunt, one of my highlights!

Tried PM’n TBH doesn’t allow that for nubbs. 🙄

Comment

Couple pictures here.
                    Attached Files

Comment

If I remember correctly you hit rib/ leg bone going it correct?
                      What did leg bone look like ??

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter1994 View Post
                        If I remember correctly you hit rib/ leg bone going it correct?
                        What did leg bone look like ??

1st shot. 18 yards.
                        Shoulder Bone, not blade.
                        Complete stoppage.
                        ZERO penetration.

FYI- Don't attempt this shot, no matter how over confident you are in your heavy arrow/broadhead/bow set up.

The bull was completely unphased.

Last edited by Mr. Public; 11-21-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

2nd Shot. 35-40 yards
                          Rib bone bone busted but not broken. Still in tact.

Did not make it to offside shoulder.

Comment

1st shot. 18 yards.
                            Shoulder Bone, not blade.
                            Complete stoppage.
                            ZERO penetration.

FYI- Don't attempt this shot, no matter how over confident you are in your heavy arrow/broadhead/bow set up.

The bull was completely unphased.

That bone ain’t no joke!

Comment

Originally posted by Green feathers View Post
                              And today I saw nothing.

Not good we have stuff laying around for years . Last thing we need out here is a dang thief !!

Comment

Good morning gang...new to the forum and popping my Laguna cherry on the 12/4 hunt. Have been dotting my "i's" and crossting my "t's" and noticed in the hunt orientation vid the refuge put out....I could have sworn the fed officer said that unit 6 was only open for the 1st two hunts as it wasn't mentioned in the list for remaining. Did I hear that wrong and if it is closed...why would they close it for the remaining two?

Big congrats to all who came out heavy so far and best of luck to those on the grind right now!! C'MON December!

Comment

Working...
                                X