No announcement yet.

2020-2021 Chaparral WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had buck at 15 yards this morning, but zero chance of making out the rack size. Those dark horns really handicap you. I was breathing so friggin hard, I’m surprised he couldn’t hear me.
    Last edited by Budman68; 12-11-2020, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
      Your luck can change real quick. Shot a 11 yesterday evening. Lots of big deer out here.

Pictures or it didn’t happen [emoji1783]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
        Your luck can change real quick. Shot a 11 yesterday evening. Lots of big deer out here.
        congrats on the buck.

Was it a mainframe 10 with a kicker? Kinda tall? I saw one like that my last hunt.

Comment

Pullin for you fellas!

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
            congrats on the buck.

Was it a mainframe 10 with a kicker? Kinda tall? I saw one like that my last hunt.
            Probably so. I believe you mentioned it was a real dark deer? Long brows with a kicker off one brow. Scored 155”. Picture would not load.

Comment

The last stand, bout an hour of good light left. Strong north west wind.

Comment

It was nice meeting everyone. Although I didn’t bag a deer, it was great to see the grins on the faces of the lucky ones.

Takeaways from the hunt. Just because you put in close to 30 hours of seat time, it doesn’t guarantee a monster south Texas buck. Out there they go where they want to go and every day is a different direction. In my section it was rare to see the same buck twice.

Everything pokes, sticks, bites, or sucks on you. I’m from Louisiana and I thought we had sticker bushes and bugs. I bleed daily and pretty sure I lost a half pint of blood.

Chap has some of the coolest birds. Those green jays are beautiful and there was some bird that sounded just like R2D2.

Sitting there gave me some critical recharge time. This year has been stressful and I’m glad I had time to focus my thoughts on the highlights; not the redundant doom and gloom.

Good luck to everyone on their future hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Budman68 View Post
                  It was nice meeting everyone. Although I didn’t bag a deer, it was great to see the grins on the faces of the lucky ones.

Takeaways from the hunt. Just because you put in close to 30 hours of seat time, it doesn’t guarantee a monster south Texas buck. Out there they go where they want to go and every day is a different direction. In my section it was rare to see the same buck twice.

Everything pokes, sticks, bites, or sucks on you. I’m from Louisiana and I thought we had sticker bushes and bugs. I bleed daily and pretty sure I lost a half pint of blood.

Chap has some of the coolest birds. Those green jays are beautiful and there was some bird that sounded just like R2D2.

Sitting there gave me some critical recharge time. This year has been stressful and I’m glad I had time to focus my thoughts on the highlights; not the redundant doom and gloom.

Good luck to everyone on their future hunts.
                  You def nailed your hunt. The TOTAL point is to get out, see nature, and just freekin' flatline and center yourself. And agreed, the birds in Texas are sooo badazz !! It's those moments, when I realize, why birdwatching is SO BIG in Texas. Remembering a few couple years ago, article I clicked on talking about the biggest outdoor pursuit that brings in the most money to the State of Texas. It was blanking BIRDWATCHING. Couldn't get over that bought in more money to Texas than hunting.....stunning....

...But yeah....I wish you had put the poke on a giant....

..edit..maybe not the TOTAL point, but you get my gist...
                  Last edited by gonzotexan; 12-11-2020, 09:35 PM.

Comment

I struck out, first time I have been completely skunked and entire trip. This place can be great and can really humble you. Congrats to all the lucky hunters. A few were tbhers. Was a good week regardless of the deer action.

Comment

Well, just when you're thinking you're a pretty decent hunter, you get drawn at the Chap and totally humbled and brought back to earth. Seen a few deer, and passed a legal buck early that don't regret. 0-2 now, with both hunts being in N Jay. The bucks were there, but moving only at night. Hunting that piece of red dirt is the most exciting and challenging hunting I've done. Being my second hunt, I learned a little more about this trip.

I was overly eager to get all my sets up the first day. In doing so, I ended up settling on sign that wasn't nearly as prevalent as some of the other areas I found. I thought I was doing good setting up on a single scrape and rub, but one of the latter sets I made there was 4 scrapes and 3 rubs. I moved my sets, but it was a little late in the game. Another take away for me is cellular cameras. If I'm drawn again, I'm investing in two cellular cameras.

If anyone is heading down for the gun hunt, and draws the SE section of N Jay, give me a shout and I'll que you in to my findings of the place.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                        Well, just when you're thinking you're a pretty decent hunter, you get drawn at the Chap and totally humbled and brought back to earth. Seen a few deer, and passed a legal buck early that don't regret. 0-2 now, with both hunts being in N Jay. The bucks were there, but moving only at night. Hunting that piece of red dirt is the most exciting and challenging hunting I've done. Being my second hunt, I learned a little more about this trip.

I was overly eager to get all my sets up the first day. In doing so, I ended up settling on sign that wasn't nearly as prevalent as some of the other areas I found. I thought I was doing good setting up on a single scrape and rub, but one of the latter sets I made there was 4 scrapes and 3 rubs. I moved my sets, but it was a little late in the game. Another take away for me is cellular cameras. If I'm drawn again, I'm investing in two cellular cameras.

If anyone is heading down for the gun hunt, and draws the SE section of N Jay, give me a shout and I'll que you in to my findings of the place.

I don’t think anyone is gonna want our help Colton, 11 deer seen total by 3 hunters 21 total sits. North jay would be low on my list of pastures this yr.

Comment

JeffK buck... I think this is a different 11 that I saw. Very Nice Jeff.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys for taking us along. Makes the work day go so much faster especially when pics are involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                              JeffK buck... I think this is a different 11 that I saw. Very Nice Jeff.
                              Man is he pretty....congrats...

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                                I don’t think anyone is gonna want our help Colton, 11 deer seen total by 3 hunters 21 total sits. North jay would be low on my list of pastures this yr.
                                Hey, we could tell them exactly what not to do! [emoji1787]

I honestly think that last spot I set up near the youth blind had a ton of potential. Just got on it too late.

Comment

Working...
                                X