2020-2021 Chaparral WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ScooterG View Post
    We’re headed down this afternoon. We’ll be staying at the Hampton Inn in Cotulla. Blue F150. How many of you going will be camping? I’m ready to get started! Thanks to everyone for their input from last week. Anyone got any more? We’ll be in unit 16. Google earth shows some dark green in the east portion. Is that cedar?
    There isn’t any cedar in this property, the only kind of brush out there has thorns.

Comment

What’s in the background of huntindad’s pics?

Comment

which one?
        top is Chap HQ
        bottom is my house after getting stuff outta my truck

Comment

Lol, the bottom one. I thought that looked like camp.

Comment

Got assigned to South Jay for the GDE hunt next week, Unit 15 on the 2021 GDE map. South side of the main East-West road going through the middle of the property. Looking forward to it more now.

Anyone have knowledge of this area?

Unit 20, from this image:
            Last edited by bdubb; 12-07-2020, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Pics from Last weeks hunt are now up on Facebook. Biggest deer killed was a 160”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good job on the buck.
                I've been top the chap a few times on javelina hunts. After 17 years I drew the GDE this year for the 14-18th.
                My boys drew youth GDE for the 28-31 and youth javelina in january. I bought a lottery ticket but my luck was all spent.
                Got assigned far NE corner of Ano Nuevo and I've never been to this pasture if anybody has any info I’d appreciate it and can share some info on mustang E blocker and N jay.
                Thanks
                Last edited by jmoore; 12-07-2020, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Ano Nuevo is thick, real thick. I'd corn several senderos and put cameras out to see where the deer are. As well as look for crossings and scrapes/rubs. If there are water"tanks" above ground concrete(keeps out javis) look for trails going to. but it will be thick.

or...ask to see what else is available

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                    Ano Nuevo is thick, real thick. I'd corn several senderos and put cameras out to see where the deer are. As well as look for crossings and scrapes/rubs. If there are water"tanks" above ground concrete(keeps out javis) look for trails going to. but it will be thick.

or...ask to see what else is available
                    2nd that. I rifle hunted Ano Nuevo in 2015. Least desirable pasture in my opinion. Its thick. Thick that some portions are only inhabitable by quail and javalina.

SE side there should be some sort of old pen, like an old cattle pen.

SW it opened up more, I saw the most bucks in the sparse vegetation. Passed some legal bucks, but never pulled a trigger on trophy.
                    There was some sort of old clearings, not sure how dense they'd be now.
                    I know this sounds unorthodox, but setting up along the high fence boundary may be the ticket. I saw a bruiser cruising a highfence on the way to Chap last week.

Corn fresh sign, drop some cameras.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                      2nd that. I rifle hunted Ano Nuevo in 2015. Least desirable pasture in my opinion. Its thick. Thick that some portions are only inhabitable by quail and javalina.

SE side there should be some sort of old pen, like an old cattle pen.

SW it opened up more, I saw the most bucks in the sparse vegetation. Passed some legal bucks, but never pulled a trigger on trophy.
                      There was some sort of old clearings, not sure how dense they'd be now.
                      I know this sounds unorthodox, but setting up along the high fence boundary may be the ticket. I saw a bruiser cruising a highfence on the way to Chap last week.

Corn fresh sign, drop some cameras.

I have heard this more than once. especially a north wind. scent from does.

Comment

Thanks guys. That’s what I’ve heard about it, we will see how it goes. Just pumped to have the tag.

Comment

yup

Originally posted by jmoore View Post
                          Thanks guys. That’s what I’ve heard about it, we will see how it goes. Just pumped to have the tag.
                          Well, you never, EVER know....some of the old, wise giants WANT to get to the thick stuff. By now they know something is going on, after all the youth hunts (4) and the management hunt (1) and now the first bow hunt. All the extra vehicle traffic, and "thunder booms" let them know it's 'THAT' time of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzotexan View Post
                            Well, you never, EVER know....some of the old, wise giants WANT to get to the thick stuff. By now they know something is going on, after all the youth hunts (4) and the management hunt (1) and now the first bow hunt. All the extra vehicle traffic, and "thunder booms" let them know it's 'THAT' time of the year.
                            Yes sir that’s what I’m hoping for.

Comment

I've been once, years ago and hunted 23, Rosindo pasture. My ex wife shot a hog and javi and was covered in deer the whole hunt. Nothing big. I had several run ins with big bucks in a ground blind but my best hunts were from a short tripod near the Rosindo pond. I had several big deer come in, drew, but was never able to shoot. It was very dry that year but I was reluctant to hunt the water source because I didn't want to be covered up with hogs. I made the switch too late and didn't connect but it was a very fun hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzotexan View Post
                                Eh, sounds good in theory but the smell of wet p*ssy makes them forget all of the stuff you said, because its THAT time of year. IMO[emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                                X