Official 2020 - 2021 Lakes Whitney and Aquilla hunting and fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    Had mine out Saturday for a test run. Performed as expected since putting new pods on and finally getting all the motor parts installed between every thing else I've had going on. I'm gonna be able to get in really skinny areas now. [ATTACH]1026351[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1026352[/ATTACH]

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Ohhhhhh man, MB!!!! This gave me chill bumps!! Team Fishhead is ready!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had mine out Saturday for a test run. Performed as expected since putting new pods on and finally getting all the motor parts installed between every thing else I've had going on. I'm gonna be able to get in really skinny areas now. [ATTACH]1026351[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1026352[/ATTACH]

That's a nice rig!

If you see this one out say hi! Hoping to go Sunday and launch for some scouting deer and ducks. Doubtful my boy wakes up for youth ducks. He don't like to get up early yet.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Hang tight Nanny. I gotta put something in the freezer besides the chicken or ground turkey I've been eating for the last year and a half. I'm about chickened out of chicken (so to speak) . It's the pits not having any red meat to eat . I quit buying beef and pork out of the grocery stores again. Gone back to wild game only except chicken and turkey. Had to give up certain red meated fishes and any kind of shell fish too. As well as certain veggies. WE will be get-n out real soon. Found one school of sandies in an old spot in 22-24 FOW. But couldn't gettem to bite. Only fished about 30 minutes. Spent the rest of the time running the boat. And checking a couple of places for ducks and such.

Thanks Flex. I'll try to keep an eye out for ya.
        Last edited by Texas Grown; 11-02-2020, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Any issue using the old school ramp off 2127? Good ramp? Issues with vandalism?

Thinking I'll launch there and work my way up to that northwest corner.

Comment

Nice meeting you out there. Good job on the mods you did, look pretty darn good.

Comment

Flex, Old School ramp is fine, parking is fine. I haven't had any issues with vandals, but the area is secluded and its possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                Flex, Old School ramp is fine, parking is fine. I haven't had any issues with vandals, but the area is secluded and its possible.
                Thanks. Will post up how it goes this weekend.

Comment

Hang tight Nanny. I gotta put something in the freezer besides the chicken or ground turkey I've been eating for the last year and a half. I'm about chickened out of chicken (so to speak) . It's the pits not having any red meat to eat . I quit buying beef and pork out of the grocery stores again. Gone back to wild game only except chicken and turkey. Had to give up certain red meated fishes and any kind of shell fish too. As well as certain veggies. WE will be get-n out real soon. Found one school of sandies in an old spot in 22-24 FOW. But couldn't gettem to bite. Only fished about 30 minutes. Spent the rest of the time running the boat. And checking a couple of places for ducks and such.

Thanks Flex. I'll try to keep an eye out for ya.
                  Glad to see the pods are working. Do you have a jack on your motor or thought about one? The next mod should be a tunnel! I thought about them but since I'm running a longtail they tell me not to add pods. I do think I will put steps back there though. And a handrail. I'm gettin up there in age now...maybe a wheelchair ramp. Is there handicap parking spots for duck hunting? Maybe that is something we should push through the state legislature? THIS DUCK HOLE IS RESERVED FOR HANDICAPPED DUCK HUNTERS ONLY. I bet I'd get more invites.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                    Glad to see the pods are working. Do you have a jack on your motor or thought about one? The next mod should be a tunnel! I thought about them but since I'm running a longtail they tell me not to add pods. I do think I will put steps back there though. And a handrail. I'm gettin up there in age now...maybe a wheelchair ramp. Is there handicap parking spots for duck hunting? Maybe that is something we should push through the state legislature? THIS DUCK HOLE IS RESERVED FOR HANDICAPPED DUCK HUNTERS ONLY. I bet I'd get more invites.

No jack-plate. Just a long shaft motor with T&T on a "built up" short-shaft transom. She grabs the water pretty good when shallow. And when it's deep. It's an odd set that don't work well most of the time on other boats. But I'ma "get-n away with it" . Cavitation, and motor cavitation plate depth, was something I considered when building out this rig.

If I go the tunnel route, it would be with a different Jon hull, prob 19-22 ft in a similar set up. I like running deep water too. This little boat is about all I can have right now due to limited space at my place. I can barley get it in and out of the back yard for storage. And I have to park one of two vehicles in the street when the boat is in my one car driveway. Hence, just another reason I need to move out of town. So, I'll just have to "get away with it" for now.

And I'ma all 4 handicapped duckhunt-n spots . Better yet, seniors should have reserved rights for certain spots. Like any spot were ever a senior wants to set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ispdnxs View Post
                      Nice meeting you out there. Good job on the mods you did, look pretty darn good.

Thank ya sir. Maybe we'll run across each other again soon.

Comment

No jack-plate. Just a long shaft motor with T&T on a "built up" short-shaft transom. She grabs the water pretty good when shallow. And when it's deep. It's an odd set that don't work well most of the time on other boats. But I'ma "get-n away with it" . Cavitation, and motor cavitation plate depth, was something I considered when building out this rig.

If I go the tunnel route, it would be with a different Jon hull, prob 19-22 ft in a similar set up. I like running deep water too. This little boat is about all I can have right now due to limited space at my place. I can barley get it in and out of the back yard for storage. And I have to park one of two vehicles in the street when the boat is in my one car driveway. Hence, just another reason I need to move out of town. So, I'll just have to "get away with it" for now.

And I'ma all 4 handicapped duckhunt-n spots . Better yet, seniors should have reserved rights for certain spots. Like any spot were ever a senior wants to set up.

I like senior spots better cause they'd probably say my handicap is mental and I'm not supposed to carry guns. I'll see if the COE will go for that. Then we'll get all the young guns to hunt with us and do all the work.

I'm scouting another lake this Saturday (after the youth morning gets started) up north of Whitney/Aquilla. I'll report what I see. I've also got some in Oklahoma and East Texas I'll scout after the opener. Per your instructions, I've already got my spot picked out right in front of the dam on Whitney. I just need to get longer weights for the decoys.

I am seeing pintail and gadwall on the ponds I watch on road to work.

Comment

What do you guys feel like is the most socially acceptable time frame to be out exploring during deer season?

Comment

Originally posted by BeansInChili View Post
                            What do you guys feel like is the most socially acceptable time frame to be out exploring during deer season?

Mid day around lunch if you have to . Lotta folks leave for lunch. Then go back out between 3 and 4PM for the evening hunt. That is for the average hunter on these places.

Course, if there are no cars where you are parking, or cars parked in other parking areas on the same unit, then do as you please. But beware that someone might sneak in while you are out there too.

Comment

late post and not public land related. about 2 years ago we had enough of Hill county. we purchased a small piece of property in Glen Rose. We bought it in mid November and I hunted it off and on after setting up a camera and seeing good deer on it. I eventually took a doe the last afternoon of that season. I had some good young bucks on camera the following season. I started feeding record rack feed in late December of last year. Fast forward to this year. I had two nice bucks who started hitting the feeders hard in mid January. I kept up with their growth through out this year as i had to fill the small feeders every third day because of how muck they loved it. My daughter and I have been hunting one stand off and on this season when I decided to put up an old tower blind for her on the back of the property. I would pour a scoop of corn daily on the road way to see what sign I would have. The deer and hogs would vacuum it up every afternoon. On October 30th I decieded I would hunt the tower stand. Little did I know it would be to small for me to draw my bow. So I brushed in the legs with cedar limbs and set on the ground. That afternoon I had one of our young six points come in for a few minutes. i was excited that the bucks were moving. At about ^:50 i heard something coming down the trail on my neighbors place and looked up to see a big bodied deer heading my way. I got ready and drew my bow anticipating he would cross the fence and come down the trail to the corn i had put out. I held my bow for what felt like 10 mins. Out popped the buck at what I thought was 40 yards. I saw he had a good rack I settled my pin and watched the luminock fly. Smack! it looked a little forward and low. He bucked and kicked like a bucking horse. He ran down my road and made it to my neighbors fence to the east and jumped. I heard a loud crash and immediately knew he was dead but was worried he made it across the fence. I gathered my things and headed back to the shop. I texted my friends and wife I had shot a good buck and that he made it across the fence. I went to my neighbors and knocked on the door no one answered. I left a note on the door and headed back to the shop. i paced back and forth for 40 mins until my wife made it home from work. we headed down to where i had shot the buck found what was left of my arrow. We followed track and small specs of blood up to the fence and saw some dime sized spots on the other side of the fence. She said she would run next door and see if they had made it home. I stood at the fence with an un easy feeling anticipating the neighbor would be cool and grant us access to cross the fence. I heard my phone text alert and saw we had permission to cross and try and retrieve the Buck. she met me back at the fence and we continued blood trailing the deer 10 feet in we found what looked like someone had taken a paint bucket and started through red paint on everything. 20 yards latter and in some thick brush we found the buck we had named Homestead! We were shocked at the body size of the deer and realized we had some work ahead of us on dragging him back to our side. It is awesome to work hard at goals and them finally fall into place. I have always wanted a place that I could harvest my own animals off my own property. I have had a pretty good year unlike most. Still living the dream! If anyone needs a bloodhound my Ol' Lady is one heck of a tracker!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Nice buck... congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X