No announcement yet.

Official 2020 - 2021 Lakes Whitney and Aquilla hunting and fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I got bit as well but don’t know what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

dang. Yall be careful. Wear gloves and head nets.

Comment

Got my duck boat parts in. Just waiting on the longtail kit to come in stock. Now. I'm also waiting on all those secret duck hunting holes on Whitney and Aquilla. You can PM them if you like.

I still haven't gotten out there to harass deer and hogs. Maybe next week. With the cold front and late October here, I bet next week will be the bomb.

Comment

Originally posted by coojay View Post
          Well I got bit as well but don’t know what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I feel your pain.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
            Got my duck boat parts in. Just waiting on the longtail kit to come in stock. Now. I'm also waiting on all those secret duck hunting holes on Whitney and Aquilla. You can PM them if you like.

I still haven't gotten out there to harass deer and hogs. Maybe next week. With the cold front and late October here, I bet next week will be the bomb.
            PM sent J on duck holes.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Well, I've never even been to aquilla but I have a boat and dogs and plan on it. Let me know if you want to meet up some time.

Can you hunt whitney ducks? Or is it still draw?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                Well, I've never even been to aquilla but I have a boat and dogs and plan on it. Let me know if you want to meet up some time.

Can you hunt whitney ducks? Or is it still draw?

I'm not a duck hunter, but Whitney shouldn't be a draw. On Aquilla, lot of stumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                  I'm not a duck hunter, but Whitney shouldn't be a draw. On Aquilla, lot of stumps.
                  Oh really? I thought I was told whitney still drew like waco used too. Whitney intimidates me just because of the size and depth.

I don't mind going slow through stumps. Is it like Granger level bad? Or are there channels and markers?

Comment

Justindfw are you hunting this morning, there are 2 trucks at the gate.

Comment

Oh really? I thought I was told whitney still drew like waco used too. Whitney intimidates me just because of the size and depth.

I don't mind going slow through stumps. Is it like Granger level bad? Or are there channels and markers?

I'll let a duck hunter respond for Whitney, but nothing in the regs dictate a "draw", and what has in the past been most of the "duck" area is upriver, neither large or deep.

Aquilla has no markers, what I navigate I learned during low water periods.

Comment

No I'm at work won't hunt till next weekend. I hunt a different spot than that corner now. Same area

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          PM sent J on duck holes.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
                          Gee. That never came through for some reason. Hmm. It's ok. I'll just go out opening morning about 7 30 and drive around and scout some.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                            Justindfw are you hunting this morning, there are 2 trucks at the gate.
                            when my dad and I scouted we saw two pop up s back there before deer season so I moved to a different spot and set my dad a spot up 100 or so yards from me.

Comment

Gee. That never came through for some reason. Hmm. It's ok. I'll just go out opening morning about 7 30 and drive around and scout some.

OK. I'll do everybody here watch-n a favor and lettem know where they are and gonna be. I hear ya get scolding from other duck hunters. But I'd rather share this time. Conditions aren't/won't be very good this year due to the lack of low water allowing vegetation to grow on the beaches, and then flooding of the vegetation. So I know everybody can use some help.

Best places to hunt on the W lake are between Chisholm Trail and the Dam. And for Aquilla, between Hwy 22 and the dam. Good luck to all.

Comment

In all my years, Whitney has never been a draw except for "Deer Shotgun" during the general season (permits were only good for one week). The Steiner Vally area was the only rifle legal unit back then, and included in the permit system. And that was all done away with (archery only now) when a certain Ranger got transferred from Waco to Whitney/Aquilla (I'll withhold the name for that person's privacy). As for Aquilla, Aquilla was with Whitney when I first started hunting down there. No permit there needed on that lake till TP&W signed a contract with ACE for exclusive rights for the Type II Walk-in program. Once that contract expired, it was treated just like Whitney.

And yes, Aquilla can be just like Granger or worse pending water level and where your trying to get to. So be on your toes. Pre scout it and use a GPS with little to no "Off-Set".

About the "Deer shotgun" permits: Everybody was a duckhunter when you didn't have a deer permit. "Duck Hunt-n wars" come to mind.
                                Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-24-2020, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X