No announcement yet.

DCNF Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I havent stepped foot on it but have you considered the bow only land in newton? Maybe all the surrounding pressure has the deer stacked in there. I'm tagged out for newton or that would be where I'd try. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
      I havent stepped foot on it but have you considered the bow only land in newton? Maybe all the surrounding pressure has the deer stacked in there. I'm tagged out for newton or that would be where I'd try. Just a thought.
      I haven’t, but that’s a pretty good drive from Tyler. What’s the land called?

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
        I haven’t, but that’s a pretty good drive from Tyler. What’s the land called?
        There's also Alazan bayou wma. It's near lufkin and bow only.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think unit 122 on ONX

Comment

Yeah I would imagine that an extra hour to 1.5hrs for you. Alazan would be another option. I always overlook that one. It's much closer to DCNF. I think they do a few lottery hunts but I would imagine it's not as pressured as DCNF. They all have big deer im sure but to me there is something special about Davey that you never know what's roaming those woods.

Comment

Yeah looking on the map unit I would either hunt dcnf or alazan from where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                Yeah looking on the map unit I would either hunt dcnf or alazan from where you are.
                Thanks for the info man. If my place doesn’t get any better next year, I may be selling everything and going back to the basics and just hunt public strictly. I’m tired of the wild/stray dogs, and the brown it’s down mentality. Would be different if I didn’t sink money into my place, but tired of doing it and not be able to reap the benefits. Plus on 90 acres when the bucks aren’t there, they just aren’t there. Don’t have enough land to move around and find them. I know the forests get plenty of pressure and stuff, but at least you have enough room bounce around and attempt getting away from it. Plus like you said, never know what’s going to show up out there.

Comment

Thanks for the info man. If my place doesn’t get any better next year, I may be selling everything and going back to the basics and just hunt public strictly. I’m tired of the wild/stray dogs, and the brown it’s down mentality. Would be different if I didn’t sink money into my place, but tired of doing it and not be able to reap the benefits. Plus on 90 acres when the bucks aren’t there, they just aren’t there. Don’t have enough land to move around and find them. I know the forests get plenty of pressure and stuff, but at least you have enough room bounce around and attempt getting away from it. Plus like you said, never know what’s going to show up out there.
                  You get into hunting public and you'll learn the code pretty quick. The green screen has added a lot of pressure the last few years on the public pieces I hunt. Good luck!

Comment

Alazan went to drawn hunt only for deer this season. No deer hunting allowed right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                      You get into hunting public and you'll learn the code pretty quick. The green screen has added a lot of pressure the last few years on the public pieces I hunt. Good luck!

Can you elaborate on “the code” part?

Comment

Originally posted by luna-tuna View Post
                        Alazan went to drawn hunt only for deer this season. No deer hunting allowed right now.
                        I might be reading it wrong but looks like the old river tract is still open to bow only.

Comment

Can you elaborate on “the code” part?
                          Just pulling your leg. Secrecy is all I was referring to.

Comment

Just pulling your leg. Secrecy is all I was referring to.

I had a hunch that’s what you meant, but wasn’t sure if I was missing something lol. I’m secret on my private place. Definitely not talking much on public. And I I don’t expect any handouts either. It fuels my fire to go into the unknown and try to figure it out.

Comment

I had a hunch that’s what you meant, but wasn’t sure if I was missing something lol. I’m secret on my private place. Definitely not talking much on public. And I I don’t expect any handouts either. It fuels my fire to go into the unknown and try to figure it out.
                              I hear ya. Have fun with it. Its tough this time of year.

Comment

I would think if a person found a honey hole on NF they wouldn’t share it on an open forum. Wouldn’t a pm be the best way to share it, if at all? And the there is the code.

Comment

Working...
                                X