Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 79F250 View Post
    Yes sir good luck on your hunt
    I'm going to try and do a thread of the experience. I spent years as an outdoors videographer and producing outdoors tv, so I normally self film my hunts when I can. I don't think I'm going to for this hunt since I don't know how pressured they are. Just going to focus on the hunt itself, but I'll be documenting everything I can and snapping pics in the blind/scouting. Hopefully I have some service.

Comment

You can probably get some really good video out there of some big bucks

Comment

Originally posted by 79F250 View Post
        You can probably get some really good video out there of some big bucks
        Looks like I'm taking camera gear...... lmao

Comment

Good luck! That's some good country.

Comment

any turkey advice?

Son and I drew a hunt there in march

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
              any turkey advice?

Son and I drew a hunt there in march
              Bring extra ammo, they're covered in turkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Bring extra ammo, they're covered in turkeys.
                That's what I like to hear!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe outdated info but here is my write up from 2016 on the JD.

I hunted compartment 5. Saw a ton of hogs in the sendero along the river. I was there for the "trophy" hunt. After they released us, I drove in and baited the sendero by the river for the night hunt. Had a few hours to burn, so I set up under a shade tree watching another sendero by an oil pump. Hit the rattling horns a few times and 15 mins into sitting in my chair out jumps a nice shooter buck and makes a bee line for me. I had him in the scope but didn't want to go home after only being there for less than an hour. Short time after that buck walks by, I see another bigger bodied buck with a floppy ear. Watched him for a bit, picked my gun up, didn't pull the trigger, cause I just got there. That night in the river sendero I baited I get covered up in hogs, see a few does, and a small 10 point that was inside his ears. Next morning I set up by the pump house, and had the big floppy eared buck in my scope with 2 mins until legal shooting light, then he disappears into the brush. Never saw him again. Later I would see several does, a few small bucks. Also saw a bunch of javelinas, and a few coyotes. Saw two javi's run off a young coyote. Pretty cool to watch that.

Compartments 1-5 were slow my week. Hunters in the compartments down near choke canyon (11-13) saw more deer. One guy had no less than 10 bucks every hunt in front of him. One buck was taken. While I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
                    Maybe outdated info but here is my write up from 2016 on the JD.

I hunted compartment 5. Saw a ton of hogs in the sendero along the river. I was there for the "trophy" hunt. After they released us, I drove in and baited the sendero by the river for the night hunt. Had a few hours to burn, so I set up under a shade tree watching another sendero by an oil pump. Hit the rattling horns a few times and 15 mins into sitting in my chair out jumps a nice shooter buck and makes a bee line for me. I had him in the scope but didn't want to go home after only being there for less than an hour. Short time after that buck walks by, I see another bigger bodied buck with a floppy ear. Watched him for a bit, picked my gun up, didn't pull the trigger, cause I just got there. That night in the river sendero I baited I get covered up in hogs, see a few does, and a small 10 point that was inside his ears. Next morning I set up by the pump house, and had the big floppy eared buck in my scope with 2 mins until legal shooting light, then he disappears into the brush. Never saw him again. Later I would see several does, a few small bucks. Also saw a bunch of javelinas, and a few coyotes. Saw two javi's run off a young coyote. Pretty cool to watch that.

Compartments 1-5 were slow my week. Hunters in the compartments down near choke canyon (11-13) saw more deer. One guy had no less than 10 bucks every hunt in front of him. One buck was taken. While I was there.
                    Great info! So definitely don't pass up a great deer just because it's day 1?!

Comment

Yeah that's a principle I've seen repeated so many times. Did it myself once, saw a super nice mature buck early opening morning back when I did the deer lease game, didn't want to end my season so early and been seeing him regularly on trail cam. Never saw him again of course.

That's what I like to hear!

Kiddo and I were throwing sticks at them and running down the road chasing them off on foot. **** corn hoovers will gobble up every kernel not leaving a trace. Made me really glad I don't bother with corn the last ten years, reminded me of all the frustrations that revolve around feed.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                        Yeah that's a principle I've seen repeated so many times. Did it myself once, saw a super nice mature buck early opening morning back when I did the deer lease game, didn't want to end my season so early and been seeing him regularly on trail cam. Never saw him again of course.

Kiddo and I were throwing sticks at them and running down the road chasing them off on foot. **** corn hoovers will gobble up every kernel not leaving a trace. Made me really glad I don't bother with corn the last ten years, reminded me of all the frustrations that revolve around feed.
                        Waa that recent?

Comment

Originally posted by tellewis View Post
                          Great info! So definitely don't pass up a great deer just because it's day 1?!
                          That is age-old question! The buck I finally "settled" on I had in my scope twice the first few hours. He was obviously the biggest in the area body wise. I even passed on our allowed management buck just so make sure I didn't scare him off. Spot on about the blinds. They are wide open, with no window coverings. I saw more deer sitting on a lawn chair under a mesquite tree, than I did in the box blind. They were really skittish and kept their eyes on the blinds. ! I came home empty-handed but far from a failed hunt. Passed on shooting hogs, coyotes, and a few deer waiting for the "one" I saw the first hour I was there to come back on my terms. Good luck to all headed down there. Also, the longer I was there, the less deer I saw, so they knew when the hunting was on.
                          Last edited by .270; 12-18-2019, 06:15 PM.

Comment

One thing I'll say about the blinds, they have the high dollar Atascosa blinds and they sure are nice. We thought we'd be smart and hunt away from the blinds and ended up spotting a really nice management legal buck about 120 yards from one of the blinds, woulda had an easy shot had we been in the blind but instead he was gone before we could close the 800 yard gap. The deer will go where they want to go. My boy killed a doe 35 yards from a blind, of course, again, we were on foot in the brush and could have just sat nice and comfortably in a chair in the blind on my cell phone browsing TBH. lol
                            ^of course this is on the hunts in November, they may be more blind shy later in the season after a few hunts going on.

Waa that recent?

Few weeks ago, November. We ran into 50-60 hens everywhere we went, several different flocks all over the place. Almost ran over two with the truck.
                            Last edited by justletmein; 12-18-2019, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X