South Llano draw hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Llano draw hunt

Well my son has hit the mother load, I believe. He was drawn for "Gun Dee/Either Sex" at Llano. I put in for this particular hunt for the exotics, it says sika, fallow, and Axis. Anyone have experience at this Llano hunt? I would love to see some pictures or just hear how it is. Thanks for the time.

I've hunted the state park as well as the bigger area in the hills behind the park that used to be called Walter Buck WMA. It's all part of the park now. The actual state park section along the river is LOADED with axis. The hills above all of that (old Walter Buck WMA land) has lots of game too, but more of a normal population of stuff. You still have a good chance of seeing exotics, but you can't really escape the axis on the main state park along the river. Take lots of ammo and hope you draw a stand close to the river. Don't cry if you "get stuck" hunting the hills though. Still very cool with lots of game. My dad saw a mountain lion trailing a group of hogs back there one time. Mountain lions are off limits on your hunt, but was still cool for him to see.

Comment

Not selected for me. Smh

Comment

Good Luck to y'all!

Comment

Congrats on getting selected! I would try to hunt anything close to the campground. Last year we would be heading out in the morning and saw about 30-50 axis in the campground each morning. First afternoon of my hunt I saw about 40 axis single file in a trail from the mountain. Shot the 3rd axis in the front and everything else scattered.

Comment

My son was fortunate to be drawn last year for it. He was able to shoot a buck and doe out there(whitetail). Feel free to PM me if you want more details. We hunted the (tree stand) and then moved to stand 34 I believe. It was up on the hill at the highest point. No one had hunted that stand on any of the previous hunts so we gave it a shot and he shot the doe and buck about an hour apart.

Comment

Congrats. This was one of the ones I was really hoping my son would get drawn for but it didnt happen this year. Save some axis for us for next year[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats to your son. That should be a great hunt. No personal info here but I have also heard that the axis are mainly around the river.

Comment

hunted it last year for axis they where everywhere dont know how many got killed but everybody got at least one i had a group of about 20 or 30 run by me at one point we couldnt shoot deer but saw alot of deer as well some really good ones but we only hunted the lower part of the park no clue what the hills would have really fun hunt hoping to go again some day

Comment

Hunted the private property next door a few years back, on a doe management hunt. Really beautiful country. We saw LOTS of nice bucks. My brother, his son and myself took 2 does each, as part of the management. But we saw probably at least 4-5 good "shooter bucks" every time we sat in a blind. It was excruciating.
                    Again, this was next door to the TPWD property. So I expect y'all should have a great hunt.

Good Luck!

Comment

My son was drawn there 3 years ago. Blinds are drawn by the kids based on the order they were selected in the lottery. Axis will only be down close to the river. Take A LOT of corn, corn as much as you can in all directions of your blind that you can get a clear shot from. 8 kids on the hunt we were on and not a single Axis was taken, and only a couple seen, we did not see one and we hunted down by the river. The other youth hunt that year had several Axis taken, just the timing, the Axis in that area travel large distance up and down the river.

My son did take 3 WT doe and one hog. We saw a nice buck first day but never got a shot. If you want a chance at a real nice WT buck pick one of the blinds at the very back of the park, long way from the river, no Axis there, but there were a couple of very nice bucks taken back in that area.

Comment

It has been many years ago now (15 or 16) and back when it was called Walter Buck WMA, but sounds like not much has changed since then, with a key exception if they are now letting you feed corn. Back then, all you could use was protein because it was one of the largest turkey roosts in the state of texas, and they would NOT risk the corn having the Alpha-toxin and killing the turkey. My buddy and I were drawn for a 5 day archery hunt, and the Biologist told us the same thing - If you are wanting Exotics try to get drawn for areas down by the River. That's what we were drawn for and we both shot WT bucks, and saw alot of Axis but never could quite close the deal on them. We had also put in for our sons for the youth gun hunt, but did not get drawn. The Biologist told us we should still bring them down on standby as they held 5 or 6 standby spots open and not alot of people would come down to take a chance on the draw. We went and they got drawn. My son drew the furthest stand to the back of the property line and was able to kill a 138 class 9pt WT buck. My buddies son shot a doe. As many have already stated it was a target rich environment back then, and seems like it still may be. i'm not sure what rules have changed over the 15 years, but being able to feed corn could be a difference maker.

Comment

The combined the Walter Buck WMA with the South Llano River State Park years ago. They used to be separate hunts.

Now they let you bait with "clean" corn because of the turkeys. If feeding dirty corn was a problem, there wouldn't be a Rio Grande Turkey West of I-35.
                          Last edited by bigchiefj; 09-09-2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Buddy of mine and I killed 6 WT and 8 axis on a management hunt there. You’ll do well...filled 5 150 quart coolers...

Comment

I got drawn for the Exotic hunt.My buddy and I will be there the last week of October.We' re stroked.

DJ

Comment

Working...
                              X