No announcement yet.

Public duck hunting near Houston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck and I hope you have better luck than me with advice. I moved to SE Texas 7 years ago and tried to figure out the public land thing and have never a group of hunters so unwilling to share any advice. I tried doing my own scouting but just didn’t have any luck and not enough time. I just do a guided teal hunt or 2 every year and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have a boat the entire coast or any navigable public water way that is out of the city limits is available to hunt. Just make sure you don’t wander onto a refuge with special regulations.

Comment

Shot many of limits out at star lake in the late 90’s to mid 2000’s.

Comment

I've seen quite a few people hunting Lake Somerville, but haven't hunted it myself.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Louisiana

Comment

Within 2.5 hours opens up a couple spots that we’ve pounds ducks on.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
                Good luck and I hope you have better luck than me with advice. I moved to SE Texas 7 years ago and tried to figure out the public land thing and have never a group of hunters so unwilling to share any advice. I tried doing my own scouting but just didn’t have any luck and not enough time. I just do a guided teal hunt or 2 every year and enjoy it.

Probably cause most guys that are still killing ducks on public busted their tails to find them. For one reason or another there seems to be more people and less ducks on public than back in the day. Good reason to keep quiet

When I first started hunting them we launched at 5am and had plenty of time to get there with a 15hp. Then the people showed up so we got a 50 and out ran them. THen we had to launch at 3am. Then the lawnmower engine boats showed up and when they couldn't find ducks theyd spend half the morning running all the shallow water shooting mud and grass rooster tails.

Comment

You're gonna have to put in the work like all us other tight lipped unhelpful public hunters. Simple as that. Or just do like most of the new guys. Pull up in a mud boat 10 min before shooting time, set up 50 yards from the next guy, call call call, skyblast, get bored after 30 minutes and leave, making sure to drive past everyone.

Comment

Back in the early 2000s we killed a lot of ducks along the coast.. jd Murphy star lake texas point anahuac refuge pace track .. now that you have the names you can go scout and find the spots.. I sold out when the sitting in line to get a spot started.. I'd much rather sit on the tail gate and shoot doves..

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      Probably cause most guys that are still killing ducks on public busted their tails to find them. For one reason or another there seems to be more people and less ducks on public than back in the day. Good reason to keep quiet

When I first started hunting them we launched at 5am and had plenty of time to get there with a 15hp. Then the people showed up so we got a 50 and out ran them. THen we had to launch at 3am. Then the lawnmower engine boats showed up and when they couldn't find ducks theyd spend half the morning running all the shallow water shooting mud and grass rooster tails.

I’ve had the same experience. Used to be great and took many limits on public. If I remember right I think it all changed 4-5 years ago. Crowds of folks starting showing up. Only private for me know or hunting in Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s.

Comment

Always like the guy that post up a month before the season & wants areas. They can get on every website & ask that question, but evidently can't search the web for areas open to public by going to refuge, WMA sites etc. Get out & learn it. Places that produce one year or even 1 month before will probably not be as good as last time. Food availability or water levels change & as they do ,so do the duck movements.

Comment

Buffalo bayou. Closest and greatest.

Comment

Dam B near Jasper. Big lake with lots of areas. Just need a Type 2 permit.

Comment

OP, like some folks said its hard hunting lately. And some folks' head explode just reading the lake they hunt being named.

Here is an article on finding duck holes - https://www.ducks.org/hunting/waterf...den-duck-holes

Here is where I found the article and a ton more information that should help you figure out duck hunting public - https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/...ks#Post5268623

Now let's see a pick of your new boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X