X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where the LDP's

Comment

Shnf first time

This is my first season to hunt the national forest I live in Huntsville any tips for around here or maybe an area I can park and find a tree to climb thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Corey99peckitt View Post
        This is my first season to hunt the national forest I live in Huntsville any tips for around here or maybe an area I can park and find a tree to climb thanks.
        West side of 45 is typically better hunting. You can park anywhere along the forest service roads. Good luck sir

Comment

Sounds like drogers hunts the East side. Lol

Comment

No, he hunts DCNF! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by HotRod Hunter View Post
              Sounds like drogers hunts the East side. Lol
              A little misdirection perhaps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post

That’s exactly what I was thinking

Comment

Chances are you will see more hunters than deer either side

Comment

Chances are you will see more hunters than deer either side
                    Yeah opening day of gun season it's going to be like world war III.

Comment

Originally posted by NF HUNTER View Post
                      Yeah opening day of gun season it's going to be like world war III.
                      I was curious about this. This is my first year on public land. Where I bow hunt on SHNF I have only seen two trucks so far this season (and no deer, bad sign maybe?). I'm sure there will be far more people for rifle season out there, but how packed does it really get? I drew a doe permit this year, so I want to check it out, but I am also cautious. My current spots are, at a minimum, 1/2 mile off of any road or trail. I drew Trinity River NWR and San Angelo State park this year which starts November 2nd, so the first hunt on SHNF I will get in rifle season will be November 16th. I assume it will have died down some by then.

Another question, is the doe tag like an MLD permit? Do I use my license tag along with it? Does it count towards my state bag limit?

Comment

My first year in the San as well but from 25 yrs ago in the Angelina forest I wouldn’t gun hunt till December. During the week is better too. The worse the weather the fewer the hunters as well. If you hunt deep enough you should be ok too most weekends warriors don’t travel too far from the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
                          My first year in the San as well but from 25 yrs ago in the Angelina forest I wouldn’t gun hunt till December. During the week is better too. The worse the weather the fewer the hunters as well. If you hunt deep enough you should be ok too most weekends warriors don’t travel too far from the road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          This is true

Also but a forest map and blackout about 500yrds from all roads and hunt that area

Comment

That’s exactly what I was thinking
                            Originally posted by TMiddleton View Post

I don't know what y'all are talking about, he can try either side cause last I checked there aren't any deer in the Sam [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thisisbeer View Post
                              I was curious about this. This is my first year on public land. Where I bow hunt on SHNF I have only seen two trucks so far this season (and no deer, bad sign maybe?). I'm sure there will be far more people for rifle season out there, but how packed does it really get? I drew a doe permit this year, so I want to check it out, but I am also cautious. My current spots are, at a minimum, 1/2 mile off of any road or trail. I drew Trinity River NWR and San Angelo State park this year which starts November 2nd, so the first hunt on SHNF I will get in rifle season will be November 16th. I assume it will have died down some by then.

Another question, is the doe tag like an MLD permit? Do I use my license tag along with it? Does it count towards my state bag limit?
                              The doe permit is not used in conjunction with a tag off your license, it is the tag. That is what you must put on the deer when you use it (think of it as a freebie tag for the shnf in the mail, except it's only good for general season). And only a fraction of the hunters are out during archery, don't be surprised if you're covered in hunters during general. My advice- avoid the first two weekends of gun season and the last weekend, it'll sound like a firework show then. You want deer hunting uninterrupted, get a muzzleloader and you'll have two weeks almost entirely to yourself.

Comment

Also sorry about not giving an update everyone, haven't been getting notifications to the chat. Thinking about taking a spray bottle of peroxide out with me cause of all the rain scheduled to come by this morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X