No announcement yet.

Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Clear out of the country and ask questions later”. I love that, and will have to steal that one! Great job! You have some of the finest table fare out there; my kids love Nilgai.

Excellent write up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
      The final board:

Sorry, I meant to post this last night. There were much fewer Nilgai killed than I expected to see on the board (5 total) and zero hogs. Still the overall success rate was pretty high with 20 kills for 35 hunters.
      So, out of the five Nilgai total you took two - nice!

I can't help but wonder about the helicopter "hunts" and how many Nilgai were killed prior to the public hunts.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
        So, out of the five Nilgai total you took two - nice!

I can't help but wonder about the helicopter "hunts" and how many Nilgai were killed prior to the public hunts.

Ha! Thanks for noticing!

During orientation they said that they knew this was a hot topic. They said no hunts had been conducted yet b/c they keep getting pushed back for various reasons, but that those would only take place in the non-hunting zones.

Interestingly enough, I helped a hunter load up a huge bull that 1st evening and asked him about how it all went down. He said that 3 bulls were together and bedded down in the wide open in front of him but out of range at 700 yards. At about 5 pm that evening a helicopter flew over fairly low ( I recall seeing it and thinking about the helicopter hunts). He said that when the sound of that chopper got close those 3 bulls - along with another group of 4 other bulls that he didn’t even know where there - jumped up and ran like the wind. Luckily they ran into range and he dropped a super nice one!

Comment

Originally posted by mags84 View Post
          FLyGuy

Where were you camped out there? is there a designated area or are you allowed to stay out on the refuge so you dont have to pack back every evening?

As others have said, no camping on the WMA. The only campground is Thomassie. They do close the gate at 10pm (tho I’ve gotten there as late as 10:30 before and it was still open), which can be a pain. After I got back with that last Nilgai I was locked out. Not the end of the world, but it sucked to have to leave your truck at the gate and walk in when you are that tired. This worked ok for solo, but if I had a couple buddies I’d look into renting a fishing shack or something. Off season prices are pretty low from what I heard and it would have been real nice to have a washer and drier. The temps were high and by day 3 my clothes were smelling pretty **** manly, and my bloody game bags were seriously rank!

Comment

As others have said, no camping on the WMA. The only campground is Thomassie. They do close the gate at 10pm (tho I’ve gotten there as late as 10:30 before and it was still open), which can be a pain. After I got back with that last Nilgai I was locked out. Not the end of the world, but it sucked to have to leave your truck at the gate and walk in when you are that tired. This worked ok for solo, but if I had a couple buddies I’d look into renting a fishing shack or something. Off season prices are pretty low from what I heard and it would have been real nice to have a washer and drier. The temps were high and by day 3 my clothes were smelling pretty **** manly, and my bloody game bags were seriously rank!
            Seaway village RV park has 5 apartments right down the road

Comment

Just put down a pretty decent sized nilgai! Super excited. Sorry for the multiple shots for everyone else out here, but I was making sure he wasn’t gonna go into the next county. Now to make sure my tarp is still under the backseat of my truck!

Comment

Thanks for the posts and pictures. Great hunt. Congratulations.

James

Comment

Originally posted by caalexander4 View Post
                  Just put down a pretty decent sized nilgai! Super excited. Sorry for the multiple shots for everyone else out here, but I was making sure he wasn’t gonna go into the next county. Now to make sure my tarp is still under the backseat of my truck!

Congrats! Pics when you can.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                    Congrats! Pics when you can.

Comment

These things suck to break down and haul out. But good luck to the rest of y’all.

Comment

Congrats man! Going to be a long day now!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats man! Going to be a long day now!

It was! Took me about 4 hours total to get it out.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                              Congrats!

Thanks! It was worth it for sure.

Comment

Congrats! What cal/type of rifle?

Comment

Working...
                                X