No announcement yet.

Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I didn’t see it but heard it was a good buck. That weight was full body, not field dressed, but still a big ole buck!

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
      That 10 pointer must of been a toad. Big deer for down here.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
      That’s a huge deer. I thought my buck was big bodied but that 10 had to be massive. I wonder if that’s the live weight instead of dressed

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
        That’s a huge deer. I thought my buck was big bodied but that 10 had to be massive. I wonder if that’s the live weight instead of dressed

Yes, live weight.

But that Nilgai on the board at 450 was dressed!

Comment

To the idiot that came pedaling into the top of 3 this afternoon. Next time you see a guy in hunters orange that is CLEARLY making a stalk you can either stay back at a safe distance and observe, or turn around and go somewhere else. What you shouldn’t do is wait 3 minutes and then just pedal on through my stalk and blow out all the critters! I sat on that bedded bull at 790 yards for 3 hours! He was just finally on his feet and moving to where I could get in close enough for a shot. I KNOW you saw me!!! Where were you even going? The road ends just past where I was??? This place is HUGE and there are only 35 of us out here. Come on, man! I hope your tires are flat.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
            To the idiot that came pedaling into the top of 3 this afternoon. Next time you see a guy in hunters orange that is CLEARLY making a stalk you can either stay back at a safe distance and observe, or turn around and go somewhere else. What you shouldn’t do is wait 3 minutes and then just pedal on through my stalk and blow out all the critters! I sat on that bedded bull at 790 yards for 3 hours! He was just finally on his feet and moving to where I could get in close enough for a shot. I KNOW you saw me!!! Where were you even going? The road ends just past where I was??? This place is HUGE and there are only 35 of us out here. Come on, man! I hope your tires are flat.
            You weren't able to yell at his jaZz for an explanation?

Comment

He’s probably thinking the same about you

Comment

Enjoyed reading this thread so far so thanks for everyone chipping in this year. I have a rifle tag for this coming weekend's hunt (starting Dec. 13) and have a couple questions. I last hunted LA with a bow on an exotic hunt back in 2017 and most of those shallow depressions and wetlands were bone dry. How has the moisture been this year and are most of those shallow areas dry or is there a lot more water scattered around? Last time I mostly hunted unit 3 because I like to get into more remote areas and saw quite a few nilgai on that hunt (no bow shot). Others previously commented on this thread that unit 3 hasn't had as many harvests this year compared to years past so I'm wondering if indeed unit 3 numbers are down or perhaps the population control is working and density is down across the refuge? Thoughts on these topics are appreciated!

Comment

Flyguyy I hope you’re still at the skinning rack with a good story to tell!?!

Comment

Yes, live weight.

But that Nilgai on the board at 450 was dressed!
                    Ahhh ok, was just wondering. My buck was about the same. Man to have a 450lb dressed nilgai would’ve been awesome. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzy View Post
                      Enjoyed reading this thread so far so thanks for everyone chipping in this year. I have a rifle tag for this coming weekend's hunt (starting Dec. 13) and have a couple questions. I last hunted LA with a bow on an exotic hunt back in 2017 and most of those shallow depressions and wetlands were bone dry. How has the moisture been this year and are most of those shallow areas dry or is there a lot more water scattered around? Last time I mostly hunted unit 3 because I like to get into more remote areas and saw quite a few nilgai on that hunt (no bow shot). Others previously commented on this thread that unit 3 hasn't had as many harvests this year compared to years past so I'm wondering if indeed unit 3 numbers are down or perhaps the population control is working and density is down across the refuge? Thoughts on these topics are appreciated!
                      Compared to 2017, there is a ton of water. Most dry beds are full of water. 3 had tons of water in it that was bone dry in 2017 when I hunted there last. I didn’t hunt 3 this past hunt but ride there to check it out. Lots more grass and much taller than last time. I guess the water has really made things flourish. Didn’t see a single animal back in 3. I guess they we hiding or off in the brush somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                        Compared to 2017, there is a ton of water. Most dry beds are full of water. 3 had tons of water in it that was bone dry in 2017 when I hunted there last. I didn’t hunt 3 this past hunt but ride there to check it out. Lots more grass and much taller than last time. I guess the water has really made things flourish. Didn’t see a single animal back in 3. I guess they we hiding or off in the brush somewhere else.
                        How has the water been since October? I did the first bow hunt and was curious. The spot I had nilgai in range should be fine either way. Just may affect how they travel to that area though.

Comment

Way to make it happen Flyguy!

Comment

Great Job FlyGuy, you put in some work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone else on here going to be down there this weekend for the 1st rifle hunt (Dec 6-8)?

I’ll be leaving town tomorrow sometime around mid-morning. Just trying to make it to the campground before they close the gates at 10pm.

I’ve been pretty geeked out about this hunt since returning from the 3rd archery Hunt In November. I ended up buying a new Mtn bike last week. Been wanting a new one with wider tires for quite a while and this gave me the excuse to pull the trigger. I went with the Salsa Timberjack, which cost me more than I want to admit. I’m having the shop install a back rack for me which should be ready today [emoji1696][emoji1696].
                              Then I dropped another bundle at REI on a frame pack, pump, and anything cages to outfit this thing to hunt off of. I Might have gotten a little out of control? Idk. I’m just excited to pick it up tonight and start adding on the accessories. I’ll send more picks once I have her put together.

I’ve bought 4 extra tubes, but I think I’ve about decided to have the shop set it up tubeless and run that slime stuff instead?

I’d love to hear input from others with experience if that is the way to go???

I was down there with two buddies 11/21-24. We rode bikes deep into Unit 3 and back every day. Only had bike trouble once when my buddy had a flat Sat night. We fixed it pretty quickly with a patch kit. They're small and cheap - I'd recommend buying one or two. We also met a guy with a gun/bow rack on his handlebars. I plan on adding something like that to mine. Good luck!

Comment

Sorry I went dark for a while.

And sorry for the rant. I was super ****** in that moment, probably should have held off on posting until I’d cooled off. I’d put in a ton of work to get a bull and finally had a chance, only to have it blown by another hunter. But that’s public land hunting, I knew that going into it. It just seemed so obvious to me that when someone is creeping and bear crawling along that you shouldn’t ride/walk by them at 80 yards. But I talked to him after for a bit and I don’t think he hunts too much, he just didn’t put together what was happening. Later I was talking to another hunter when this guy passed by and he then relayed a story of a very similar incident with that same individual from the previous day. It honestly may have been one of his very first times to hunt. I’m sure he didn’t mean harm, just doesn’t know hunting etiquette yet. Anyway, I feel bad now for losing my cool, so my apologies to the group.

To pick up the story.... I had an idea of where they busted to when he came thru so I made my way in that direction. I Didn’t figure I had much of a chance to still hunt them in the timber but gave it a try. There were a bunch of them. Probably 15 cows and calves, with one lone grey bull that was with them but mostly kept his distance.

It was approaching sunset and I had just about given up but I Eventually bumped into the herd in the thick stuff. They were nervous but not panicked. I could t find the bull but I had a cow in my crosshairs at 35 yards. Thought about it... Thought about it some more...decided to pass. Eventually the group moved out and single file crossed an opening at 60 yards. I watched each one through my scope waiting for that bull to follow suit but he never showed. Disappeared like smoke.

And that was the end of day 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X