No announcement yet.

Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a first timer hunting Laguna Atascosa, it was an awesome experience at an almost magical place. Saw nilgai, monster hogs that looked like bears, thoroughly enjoyed the hunting zen, and dined on venison backstrap medallions last night with a recipe a fellow hunter gave me after helping to quarter my deer. It was an amazing place and great people enjoying it. I am already making mental notes of lessons learned in preparation for next year.

Comment

Packed up and waiting for the last concrete truck, pass it off to my assistant, then headed south!!

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post
        Me and the boys had a great trip this past week but didn't get it done. Flyguyy and BPA it was good meeting you out there - I was the one foolish enough to bring my two boys deep into the refuge every day. Lots of miles especially in crisco mud in places. The logistics of moving our group in and out every day was pretty exhausting.

We learned a lot and had some opportunities on Nilgai. I agree that their eyesight can't be underestimated. I had my sons posted up on an escape route from a bedding area while i was off following trails and sure enough two cows, two bulls, and calf came out at 150 yards across the cayo (that's what we were calling the low clearing areas, may not be the right word) from where the boys were set up. Cows came out first and immediately picked them up, stared at them, and then made a hard turn back around from where they came rather than following the trail into a barrage of crossbow fire. On the ride home last night it slipped out that the younger boy had actually moved and was kneeling behind a bush and whispering to the older when the animals popped out! He ducked but too late. Oh well I guess you get what you pay for with a free youth permit...

For my part, I came upon a spike munching a prickly pear at 40 yds and for some reason didn't shoot it. At the time we were hot after Nilgai so maybe i wasn't able to mentally switch gears for something that's not a shooter in other circumstances? I can't quite explain it. A screw up and in direct contradiction to my stated hunt plan of "brown is down".

What we didn't have was encounters with relatively stationary, feeding Nilgai like Flyguy - loved reading your live stories btw, so much better than these post-hunt recaps - they were always on the move when we saw them, after having been bumped by us or someone else. We only glassed up one cow out in the open, and that was off on private way to the west. Probably need to spend more time glassing next time.

We'll be back! thanks for reading, and thanks to those who've posted information on this thread that has been so helpful.

gburk,

Nice to meet you as well! I was extremely impressed with you and your boys putting in those miles everyday! So good to see parenting like that! And it sounds like you had a solid plan!

Glad to hear you enjoyed hearing my encounter stories as they happened. Being relatively new to the forum, I wasn’t sure if they would be appreciated or just annoying. I hated leaving a day early. I haven’t stopped thinking about it since leaving! I’m already getting my pack set up and working in my hunt plan for the Dec 6th rifle hunt. (2 weeks!!)

Comment

Orientation at 9?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
            Orientation at 9?

Yes

Comment

Orientation at 9?

Yup. I’ll be leaving around 6 from home. Only hunting a day or two. Gonna take my boy to the lease before Cowboys game on Thanksgiving. Might make an all day sit Saturday and maybe a Sunday morning halfer. Safe travels gentlemen

Comment

Them guys will be in trouble then!
                good luck and post pictures!

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
                gburk,

Nice to meet you as well! I was extremely impressed with you and your boys putting in those miles everyday! So good to see parenting like that! And it sounds like you had a solid plan!

Glad to hear you enjoyed hearing my encounter stories as they happened. Being relatively new to the forum, I wasn’t sure if they would be appreciated or just annoying. I hated leaving a day early. I haven’t stopped thinking about it since leaving! I’m already getting my pack set up and working in my hunt plan for the Dec 6th rifle hunt. (2 weeks!!)

Comment

Originally posted by gburk View Post
                  Me and the boys had a great trip this past week but didn't get it done. Flyguyy and BPA it was good meeting you out there - I was the one foolish enough to bring my two boys deep into the refuge every day. Lots of miles especially in crisco mud in places. The logistics of moving our group in and out every day was pretty exhausting.

We learned a lot and had some opportunities on Nilgai. I agree that their eyesight can't be underestimated. I had my sons posted up on an escape route from a bedding area while i was off following trails and sure enough two cows, two bulls, and calf came out at 150 yards across the cayo (that's what we were calling the low clearing areas, may not be the right word) from where the boys were set up. Cows came out first and immediately picked them up, stared at them, and then made a hard turn back around from where they came rather than following the trail into a barrage of crossbow fire. On the ride home last night it slipped out that the younger boy had actually moved and was kneeling behind a bush and whispering to the older when the animals popped out! He ducked but too late. Oh well I guess you get what you pay for with a free youth permit...

For my part, I came upon a spike munching a prickly pear at 40 yds and for some reason didn't shoot it. At the time we were hot after Nilgai so maybe i wasn't able to mentally switch gears for something that's not a shooter in other circumstances? I can't quite explain it. A screw up and in direct contradiction to my stated hunt plan of "brown is down".

What we didn't have was encounters with relatively stationary, feeding Nilgai like Flyguy - loved reading your live stories btw, so much better than these post-hunt recaps - they were always on the move when we saw them, after having been bumped by us or someone else. We only glassed up one cow out in the open, and that was off on private way to the west. Probably need to spend more time glassing next time.

We'll be back! thanks for reading, and thanks to those who've posted information on this thread that has been so helpful.

gburk,

It was my pleasure to meet you and Luke. It was awesome to see you bring the boys out for the adventure. None of y’all will ever forget those days afield.

LANWR is a really neat and I learned a ton about Nilgai on my hunt. They’re in trouble next time I get drawn!

Flyguyy,

I also enjoyed your stories. Spotting them in the open and stalking within bow range of them is quite the feat. I applaud your grit. Good luck in New Mexico (and I hope you don’t need to find an apartment after the hunts)!!

Dustin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Headed south!!

Comment

Bpa556/Dustin,

Thanks man! My stuff wasn’t in the yard when I got home, but I don’t think I’m out of the woods yet. 2 tags down, 2 to go: Nilgai rifle - LANWR & archery Ibex - NM.

Here are a few more pictures from the hunt:

Comment

One rub line spot confirmed. Onto the next.

Comment

FlyGuyy, I also really enjoyed reading your live updates and posts. Having hunted Laguna I felt like we were along for the ride with you. Thanks for taking the time.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Comment

2nd rub line located. Onto 3rd

Comment

Atascosa 2019!!!

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
                              Bpa556/Dustin,

Thanks man! My stuff wasn’t in the yard when I got home, but I don’t think I’m out of the woods yet. 2 tags down, 2 to go: Nilgai rifle - LANWR & archery Ibex - NM.

Here are a few more pictures from the hunt:
                              Good stuff. Some of those shots look like horseshoe island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by piercebronkite; 11-21-2019, 01:55 PM.

Comment

2nd rub line located. Onto 3rd

That looks good and promising. Good luck sir

Comment

Working...
                                X