Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
    Just busted up another big bull while still hunting. He never even saw me. Heard me in the grass and bolted. Too thick in here. Gonna have to sit on a trail and catch one coming through (like I originally told myself[emoji2959]).

Dang these thinks are spooky!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are! I am really missing that wind we had on day one. This brush is so noisy and so hard to move thru on a quiet day like this.

Comment

Well, this morning got exciting. I went back to the spot I saw the cow and calf yesterday morning and was slowly working my way through it. Was just about to the target area when I Glassed up a cow feeding on the bank at 800 yards away, but on the opposite shore line. Had to make a BIG horseshoe around to get there. I was afraid she was visible from the road so I was moving pretty quickly (turns out she wasn’t). About 100 yards later I bumped a cow Nilgai out of the spot I was originally intending to still hunt thru (dang it!). I slowed a little and about a minute later I see a doe and yearling walking through parallel to me and about 80 yards in front. I knocked an arrow and started trying to catch up to them. Found cover and crept in to what should have been ~40 yards of them when I noticed a buck on alert and looking generally in my direction. Ranged him at 18 yards but no shot. He turned broadside and I saw he was a pretty nice 8pt!!! I drew back and waited for him to step out into a lane but he turned and headed away instead of crossing it. I let down, Relocated him at 80 yards and started moving in on him when I busted out the **** doe and yearling and they all took off together. Oh well, back to the cow. I make my way to the edge and verify she is still there feeding (200 yards) and then Back out again to finish my loop around to her. There was a big open area I had to cross so I verified she wasn’t in view of me and hustled across. Made it about 10 steps when I busted the same **** doe and yearling, who flagged and blew their way all across that opening and in full view of the Cow. I gave it a minute to see if the buck would follow. He didn’t. Finished the stalk around the bank line but, of course, the cow was adios.

Fun stuff. With a rifle I’d have (at least) 3 nilgai down, plus filled my buck and doe tags, to go along with that hog (assuming good marksmanship at 65, 65, & 200)

Now I’m sitting here like a weirdo in just my underwear and hunters orange vest trying to let all my clothes dry out. I got absolutely soaked blazing thru that tall wet grass and sweating buckets. It’s already hot this morning.

Comment

Here is the board from last night. I was the last one out so it should be complete. Not nearly as many kills yesterday, much hotter temps seemed to have everything sitting still mid day.

Comment

Keep it up bud. You’ll get something down

Comment

I am stupid.

I got my clothes dry and just now got back dressed and all packed up. I walked down the bank and about 5 yards out into the open with The thought was in my head that “it’s way too hot for anything to be out in this blazing sun”. Looked to my right and that **** cow I came over here for was standing there at 280 yards just staring a hole through me. Lasted 10 seconds and she split. Son-of-a...

Comment

Those are some great, detailed stories Flyguyy, thanks for posting them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just stuck a bull at 50 yards.
                ����

Comment

Originally posted by SLICE & DICE View Post
                  Just stuck a bull at 50 yards.
                  ����
                  Don't push him too hard. Good shot?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Looked good. I thought I saw the arrow hanging out the other side. Sounded good but no blood at point of impact. Im not far from the road. Going to break down my ground blind and pack my gear out. Give him some time

Comment

Looked good. I thought I saw the arrow hanging out the other side. Sounded good but no blood at point of impact. Im not far from the road. Going to break down my ground blind and pack my gear out. Give him some time
                      Awesomeness. [emoji106]

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s awesome!!!! Hope he’s down close!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
                          I am stupid.

I got my clothes dry and just now got back dressed and all packed up. I walked down the bank and about 5 yards out into the open with The thought was in my head that “it’s way too hot for anything to be out in this blazing sun”. Looked to my right and that **** cow I came over here for was standing there at 280 yards just staring a hole through me. Lasted 10 seconds and she split. Son-of-a...
                          I saw more animals during the heat of the day on my previous hunt there. Literally 95 degrees and I saw 20 pls nilgai out grazing. Them animals do not mind the heat at all

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                            I saw more animals during the heat of the day on my previous hunt there. Literally 95 degrees and I saw 20 pls nilgai out grazing. Them animals do not mind the heat at all

Good to know!!!! I’m lookin’!

Comment

Just stumbled on this thread and enjoying it!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyGuyy View Post
                                Good to know!!!! I’m lookin’!

Yea I was surprised to see so much movement. Between 11-2 I saw more animals on their feet than any other time of day. Found a lot of nilgai bedded down in the open fields in unit 3 also. But there was no way to get on them with a bow.

Comment

Working...
                                X