Atascosa 2019!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stonecreek View Post
    It would have been nice for other hunters who know the difficulties of bow hunting, especially with Nilgai, to reach out to you. It's not like they didn't know it was yours and that you were the one "dragging the trailer". How hard would it have been to say, she's over there or at a minimum, here's your arrow? It's not like you didn't sit in the same spot all weekend and they didn't know where to find you. Hopefully the one checked in Saturday morning wasn't someone playing finders keepers, but if so what can you do? If not congratulations to that hunter putting in the work and having success for his effort. In fact congratulations to all the successful hunters enjoying the sweet success of their efforts. Sorry that happened, but that's hunting, it happens.
    I was the one that found the dead cow and for your information I did actually look for the hunter. By 2pm the next day(75 deg and in direct sunlight), the cow was bloated, full of flys and it hair was slipping. There was no salvaging it at all or I would have made the 2 mile trek out in an attempt to save it for the hunter. Having killed several Nilgai myself, I know how difficult they are to kill and how much of a prize it would have been. I went by the check station the next 2 evenings in an attempt to locate the hunter so I could share the location of the cow and his arrow. These were my only opportunities as we arrive early and sit all day in the field. But by all means go ahead and keep assuming.

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
      I was the one that found the dead cow and for your information I did actually look for the hunter. By 2pm the next day(75 deg and in direct sunlight), the cow was bloated, full of flys and it hair was slipping. There was no salvaging it at all or I would have made the 2 mile trek out in an attempt to save it for the hunter. Having killed several Nilgai myself, I know how difficult they are to kill and how much of a prize it would have been. I went by the check station the next 2 evenings in an attempt to locate the hunter so I could share the location of the cow and his arrow. These were my only opportunities as we arrive early and sit all day in the field. But by all means go ahead and keep assuming.
      well you should have tried harder!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        well you should have tried harder!!!
        [emoji2359][emoji1787]

Comment

Originally posted by CAP View Post
          Does anyone have any info on late orientation? Due to some unplanned stuff at work, i may be a day or two late for my mid-november hunt
          As far as late orientation goes. Good luck, I called the first day to the number where you have to push 105 for hunt information. The first time I called they told me I could go to the hunt station any time and they would let me do the orientation. Then I called the day I was heading down and they told me that they had specific times 8:30am, 2:30pm and 5:30pm. Well I walk in at 5:30 pm and the people at the check in station look at me like I was crazy that I was there for an orientation. Said I would have to come back at 8:30am, I explained my situation and they decided to let me watch the video.

As far as not spot and stalking I had one at 30 and one at 90ish. It’s not my preferred method and I set up early every morning and evening but you could definitely get it done spot and stalking.

Comment

Looks like more helo hunts happening.
            Nilgai antelope are expected to be taken out at the Laguna Atascosa Wildlife Refuge due to fever ticks. The USDA says the aerial hunt will happen between October 2019 and March 2020. This isn&rsquo…

Comment

We are set up and ret to go boys!!!! There will be arrows flying

Comment

Originally posted by m10 View Post
                https://valleycentral.com/news/local...rvest-to-begin
                WOW! they're doing this during the hunting periods we paid for...

Comment

Originally posted by m10 View Post
                  https://valleycentral.com/news/local...rvest-to-begin
                  No wonder I saw so many pairs of calves with no cow around.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck today fellas.

Jeff

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

6 yards.

Came to full draw on what would have been my biggest boar. Too dark to shoot though.

Comment

Originally posted by GBludau View Post
                        6 yards.

Came to full draw on what would have been my biggest boar. Too dark to shoot though.

Let Bambi have an arrow! You have the cooler space, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nope. I'm not doing all that work for a doe. I'm far in. I'll shoot them with a camera and post. A lot less work!

However, the Laguna Master said he ain't above it and let it rip. Guess he's keeping his claim of the title. Let the chalkboard filling begin!!!

Last edited by Mr. Public; 11-01-2019, 09:47 AM.

Comment

For those that have done the orientation already, did they say anything about just shooting the hogs and letting them fertilize if you don't care to bring them out?

If so, what are your personal thoughts on it?

Comment

Originally posted by hound dog View Post
                              For those that have done the orientation already, did they say anything about just shooting the hogs and letting them fertilize if you don't care to bring them out?

If so, what are your personal thoughts on it?
                              Eradicate. Hogs are not required to check in. Only deer & nilgai

Comment

I personally ain’t wasting an arrow on a pig.

Comment

Working...
                                X