Lake Somerville PHL - 2019-2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scottimus View Post
    I can do that! Some GPS coordinates in the woods would be fantastic!
    Good luck with that on this page. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Comment

Haha. I was out there yesterday for about 7 hours and I only saw one deer, so you don’t want my coordinates. Saw more duck hunters than deer yesterday.

Comment

Still waiting on this so called rut to hit. I think everything is happening later this year. Seeing some new bucks the past two weeks but nothing I would consider chasing. Mostly by themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by greenmonstah View Post
          Still waiting on this so called rut to hit. I think everything is happening later this year. Seeing some new bucks the past two weeks but nothing I would consider chasing. Mostly by themselves.

Early mid dec

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by greenmonstah View Post

From my experience, next week, but could be late this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good morning all, I have been thinking about hunting Somerville on my week off. I'm just asking for some simple pointers not necessarily about hunting. correct me if I am wrong but its buck only right now... and bow only in both units..? Anything I need to know in regards to parking or checking in somewhere? Do climbers help or hurt you in these units?

Comment

Lake Somerville PHL - 2019-2020

Originally posted by zkrolczyk95 View Post
                Good morning all, I have been thinking about hunting Somerville on my week off. I'm just asking for some simple pointers not necessarily about hunting. correct me if I am wrong but its buck only right now... and bow only in both units..? Anything I need to know in regards to parking or checking in somewhere? Do climbers help or hurt you in these units?

You need your public land permit to hunt at Somerville. When you buy said permit you get a book with all the regulations and harvest information and dates. An OSR (on site registration) is required daily and can be done at any entry box or digitally on the Hunt Harvest app. You can park anywhere pretty much, just don’t block the roads. Climbers are tough as straight trees without branches are far and few between.

Comment

I’ll add this as well. You’re a bit late to the party. Most have been out there since summer scouting, running camera, sweating their butts off during archery season, etc. Be respectful of other people’s sets. I’d personally recommend going out mid day during the week to find a spot that isn’t already being hunted to avoid disturbing those that have already put the pre-work in. But that’s just my .02

Comment

My advice for your first day would be just to take you a little tripod chair in with you, find a nice trail that you think is a deer trail and sit off of that trail. When daylight comes, look around your area and make sure there aren't signs of other hunters. If there are signs of other hunters kindly ease your way out and find another trail. I would say that if no one is currently hunting the area you could stick it out until mid day before moving. Moving too early could not only ruin someone's hunt but possibly ruin your hunt the rest of the day. Another good indication is to watch where people have parked and don't walk in where they are parked. Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggwild View Post
                      I had some idiot do the same thing. Except they left a extra ladder along a tree and some trash. Since the ladder was not secured and with trash (water and propel) I took that ladder.. another mans trash is another mans treasure.

Good man cleaning up the woods!

Comment

Originally posted by HogStalker View Post
                        You need your public land permit to hunt at Somerville. When you buy said permit you get a book with all the regulations and harvest information and dates. An OSR (on site registration) is required daily and can be done at any entry box or digitally on the Hunt Harvest app. You can park anywhere pretty much, just don’t block the roads. Climbers are tough as straight trees without branches are far and few between.

I already have the permit and have harvested deer in other areas of the state this season. I understand the hard work that goes in to public land hunting as I am no stranger to it. I am of course respectful to other hunters and respect there work put in. It’s public land therefore I’m not late to the party. Everything said is Duly noted. I appreciate the advice. Good luck to all

Comment

I already have the permit and have harvested deer in other areas of the state this season. I understand the hard work that goes in to public land hunting as I am no stranger to it. I am of course respectful to other hunters and respect there work put in. It’s public land therefore I’m not late to the party. Everything said is Duly noted. I appreciate the advice. Good luck to all
                          My 2 cents on Somerville, which doesn’t matter but since we have this forum might as well express it I suppose. Somerville is over hunted/over pressured from what I’ve seen. I’m not sure why but maybe bowhunters enjoy it out there since it’s bow only or because of it’s location between major cities. I’m just glad it’s not a “draw hunt” like Granger or some of these other places yet. It took me years hunting/scouting there before I killed a mature buck. I’ve been walked in by Rambo hunters that think they can kill one walking around so many times each season. I would advise no scouting on the weekend because some of us hunt all day, unless there are zero trucks nearby in that area. The flood last year ran off some good deer, so there are a lot of 8pts that are at 12-12.5” inside spread range. Hopefully, with no flooding this year and other hunters letting these borderline bucks live, next year will be good. There are several hunters here that hunt years watching bucks grow up(including bucks over 13” inside spread) in hopes that someone else doesn’t invade on their hard-worked area. A lot of sweat and blood have been earned on that place by several of us over the years, and we take pride in this place as it’s been our second home.

But it’s public land, so I don’t have a say on what happens there and anyone that has the proper license can hunt there, so I’m not trying to be rude or anything just stating the truth. I would just like new hunters out there to realize what work is involved year round by some of us and respect that. The place is small and there are a lot of hunters out there already. It’s not like hunting Sam Houston, with over 162,000 acres to hunt, its very small. But as I said, it’s doesn't matter what I think because it’s public land. I do wish everyone there good luck who has earned it and hope some big bucks are killed there this year!

Comment

Anyone see any pigs out there lately? Want to take my daughter and looking for good spots.

Comment

Originally posted by scottimus View Post
                              Anyone see any pigs out there lately? Want to take my daughter and looking for good spots.
                              I seen 1 pig all dang season last season killed 9 this season sucked on pigs

Comment

Originally posted by GD47 View Post
                                I seen 1 pig all dang season last season killed 9 this season sucked on pigs

Can't hog hunt until April 1st, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X