No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So piggies at Granger are not always running and they can't see orange. Two myths busted.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
      Good guesses but no luck lol. I know the lake pretty well also. Maybe when u get back we can share the woods together sometime.
      i graduated from taylor in 91 , and my cousin lives by the doppler graduated from granger in 91, and my best friend lives right behind the army corps headquarters at granger dam, we kill alot of pigs behind the dam(walk to pecan grove and follow that creek to the south), but i have done better by the white bass drop off, close to circleville, actually parking at the primative boat launch and walking back towards circleville bridge. Our second choice is behind the water treatment plant and walking all the way back to the primative camp(has to be thick blood weeds for success), third would be over by the mouth of the river, ...i killed a pretty good buck out there on a draw archery hunt in 09, you have prob seen me in a photo if you have ever done a draw or post card hunt at granger. The best way to kill the pigs is to put boat in at taylor park and hunt all the open area on the other side of the lake or run up in the river and hunt the islands, sometimes those briar patches out in the open hold a bunch of hogs, it is hard to hit a running pig however, and i haven't been successful hitting one on the oof yet, but have to sling everytime as it is my duty... we will hook up when i get back.......

Comment

meant to spell check, on th hoof, my bad

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
          i graduated from taylor in 91 , and my cousin lives by the doppler graduated from granger in 91, and my best friend lives right behind the army corps headquarters at granger dam, we kill alot of pigs behind the dam(walk to pecan grove and follow that creek to the south), but i have done better by the white bass drop off, close to circleville, actually parking at the primative boat launch and walking back towards circleville bridge. Our second choice is behind the water treatment plant and walking all the way back to the primative camp(has to be thick blood weeds for success), third would be over by the mouth of the river, ...i killed a pretty good buck out there on a draw archery hunt in 09, you have prob seen me in a photo if you have ever done a draw or post card hunt at granger. The best way to kill the pigs is to put boat in at taylor park and hunt all the open area on the other side of the lake or run up in the river and hunt the islands, sometimes those briar patches out in the open hold a bunch of hogs, it is hard to hit a running pig however, and i haven't been successful hitting one on the oof yet, but have to sling everytime as it is my duty... we will hook up when i get back.......
          I've killed at least one hog In all the places you named above. Good hunting in those areas. Get ahold of me when ur back in town

Comment

My girl asked me yesterday...why don't you call grandma and ask her to watch the baby tomorrow so we can go hog hunting again. ohhhh yeah... Goin out again today. Great weather for it!

Comment

Hey guys been reading all the posts. Very much so want to take advantage of this public land hog hunting!! Not sure where it's at though. And is it like any ordinary public land where you just wear your orange and walk in? Thanks for the help in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Addicted2bh View Post
                Hey guys been reading all the posts. Very much so want to take advantage of this public land hog hunting!! Not sure where it's at though. And is it like any ordinary public land where you just wear your orange and walk in? Thanks for the help in advance
                You'll need to get an APH. TP&W will send you a booklet after that with maps of public hunting ops and printed rules of conduct along with location specific rules and regs. Hope this helps some

Comment

Crod- congratulations all the way around. The girl definitely sounds like a keeper!

Comment

These cold mornings get me itching to get out in the woods looking for hogs! Good luck Crod. Post more pics if you get into them again!

Comment

Hello, and Granger Update...

New to the forum, so I thought I would introduce myself. This is my first year hunting since 1996 and my first foray into public land hunting, hogs, and archery (albeit crossbow). Bowtech Assassin or Diamond Outlaw will be purchased later this month hopefully.

First trip (12/16/2012) - San Gabriel Unit – I walked for miles and didn't see anything (Entry 5 to 6), then rallied with my buddy and sat for a few hours at a promising spot I discovered with no luck either. I got tired of sitting so I began another stalk around where we were sitting. I heard crashing that could not be a deer and my buddy was still at the last spot. Thinking to myself this could go good or bad (first hog hunt), I moved towards the sound. I caught sight of a few adults (80-100 lbs. range) at about 20 yards. They must have seen me too, because they were making a b-line for heavy cover, but for some reason stopped and grunted at me momentarily. I had a pretty hairy shot with some vegetation between us, but let one fly. It struck her broadside and she fell, spun, and ran off. I quickly jumped onto a leaning tree (as the others seemed ****** and I couldn’t see them – don’t laugh). Then all of a sudden three or so piglets come flying by. No chance at a shot with their speed and no arrow cocked. Once things calmed down, I tracked her maybe 10 yds. Decent first hog and a great food sow for the table. The drag out was no fun at all, but my buddy thankfully did most of the work.

Second trip (12/28/2012) – San Gabriel Unit – Went back to where I got mine last time with my buddy. Within 15 minutes of getting to “the spot”, we walked up on a dozen or so that were bedded at ten yards. We didn’t even see them and **** near crapped our pants when the whole forest erupts with hogs running in all directions. Again, I had one stop behind cover, slung one, but must have been deflected. Now I am arrowless and in the middle of the hogs. I decided to grab my knife instead of trying to cock and load another arrow. Thankfully some went to the left and stopped allowing my buddy to take a shot. It was a butt shot, but it dropped her (quickly finished with a knife to end her suffering). We stayed and chased the others for a few hours more, but no further shots were offered. We had been waved off by a tree stand hunter and later met him on his way out. If you are on here, it was nice meeting you (don’t remember your name) and sorry if we spooked what you were after. We decided to gut and head this one and carry it out Native American style on a thick stick, which was a lot better than dragging.

Trip three (12/29/2012) - San Gabriel Unit – My buddy, his dad, and I headed back out because after the success the two previous times, we were told that it was a fluke by the old man. We of course checked the previous spot, but they were nowhere to be found. I am assuming from the previous days kill. So we walked and walked (Entry 5 to 7) and saw lots of deer sign, but no hogs. Once again we were waved off by a tree stand hunter. Sorry again. I’m blaming the intrusion and bad luck on the old man.

Next trip (01/05/2013) - San Gabriel Unit – Will be solo - AM
                      Last edited by Removed; 01-03-2013, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jkuroski1973 View Post
                        New to the forum, so I thought I would introduce myself. This is my first year hunting since 1996 and my first foray into public land hunting, hogs, and archery (albeit crossbow). Bowtech Assassin or Diamond Outlaw will be purchased later this month hopefully.

First trip (12/16/2012) - San Gabriel Unit – I walked for miles and didn't see anything (Entry 5 to 6), then rallied with my buddy and sat for a few hours at a promising spot I discovered with no luck either. I got tired of sitting so I began another stalk around where we were sitting. I heard crashing that could not be a deer and my buddy was still at the last spot. Thinking to myself this could go good or bad (first hog hunt), I moved towards the sound. I caught sight of a few adults (80-100 lbs. range) at about 20 yards. They must have seen me too, because they were making a b-line for heavy cover, but for some reason stopped and grunted at me momentarily. I had a pretty hairy shot with some vegetation between us, but let one fly. It struck her broadside and she fell, spun, and ran off. I quickly jumped onto a leaning tree (as the others seemed ****** and I couldn’t see them – don’t laugh). Then all of a sudden three or so piglets come flying by. No chance at a shot with their speed and no arrow cocked. Once things calmed down, I tracked her maybe 10 yds. Decent first hog and a great food sow for the table. The drag out was no fun at all, but my buddy thankfully did most of the work.

Second trip (12/28/2012) – San Gabriel Unit – Went back to where I got mine last time with my buddy. Within 15 minutes of getting to “the spot”, we walked up on a dozen or so that were bedded at ten yards. We didn’t even see them and **** near crapped our pants when the whole forest erupts with hogs running in all directions. Again, I had one stop behind cover, slung one, but must have been deflected. Now I am arrowless and in the middle of the hogs. I decided to grab my knife instead of trying to cock and load another arrow. Thankfully some went to the left and stopped allowing my buddy to take a shot. It was a butt shot, but it dropped her (quickly finished with a knife to end her suffering). We stayed and chased the others for a few hours more, but no further shots were offered. We had been waved off by a tree stand hunter and later met him on his way out. If you are on here, it was nice meeting you (don’t remember your name) and sorry if we spooked what you were after. We decided to gut and head this one and carry it out Native American style on a thick stick, which was a lot better than dragging.

Trip three (12/29/2012) - San Gabriel Unit – My buddy, his dad, and I headed back out because after the success the two previous times, we were told that it was a fluke by the old man. We of course checked the previous spot, but they were nowhere to be found. I am assuming from the previous days kill. So we walked and walked (Entry 5 to 7) and saw lots of deer sign, but no hogs. Once again we were waved off by a tree stand hunter. Sorry again. I’m blaming the intrusion and bad luck on the old man.

Next trip (01/05/2013) - San Gabriel Unit – Will be solo - AM

congrats on the kills!!

Comment

Went out this morning for the first time to hunt granger .Got within 20 yds of a nice sounder. i passed on the big sow as i was so far deep in there i woulda never got her out . I took the eater ! Talked to nino on here on the trail in too. Found a big shed as well
                          Attached Files

Comment

My hunting buddy got within feet of 4 big ones today. She was pumped!!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RACK MASTER View Post
                              Went out this morning for the first time to hunt granger .Got within 20 yds of a nice sounder. i passed on the big sow as i was so far deep in there i woulda never got her out . I took the eater ! Talked to nino on here on the trail in too. Found a big shed as well
                              Congrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by RACK MASTER View Post
                                Nice kill! About how long after we talked did you run into them? Just wondering what time it was really.

Comment

Working...
                                X