No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I headed out this morning for the first time. I showed up at gate 6 around 6:45am. There were three other trucks of dove hunters there as well. I made my way down to the water line and just worked towards check point 7. Not sure how far down I got due to not staying on the main trails. I kind of followed a trail into the bloodweeds. Next thing you know I was surrounded by 10 feet tall weeds in every direction. I wandered around for another hour or two. I saw some sign, but not a whole lot. I am thinking my next investment is going to be a GPS. Hopefully the kills on this thread start to pick up next month as they did last year.

Comment

It will start picking up the cooler it gets.

Comment

Never go there without GPS unless you go there many times and get familiar with all landmarks. I went there around 5AM. Total pitch black and I carried my GPS but .... batteries died! Stuck sitting on ground for 2 hours before morning light. TIP: Always have GPS completely recharged or carry new batteries!

Comment

I got lost out there once when I was a kid. We were white bass fishing and it got dark faster than I thought it would. I walked around for a couple of hours before I ran into some other white bass fishermen who showed me how to get out of there. And I grew up fishing those banks!! A GPS would have definatly been helpful.

Comment

anybody know how high the lake is now?

Comment

Wondering the same thing. I have a camera and a blind out there, or did!

Comment

up 10 1/2 foot as of 3:30 today

Comment

when you say 10 1/2 feet increase...does that mean that if there was a measuring device in the water, that the water height is now 10 1/2 feet higher now than it was a few days ago or is there some other whacked out formula for that measurement?

Comment

poor little hogs, getting flooded out of there homes. Maybe this weekend I can go help a few of them out with some items, like arrows.

Comment

Went out on monday evening and all I saw were some snakes and a lot of deer. I went to my old spot from the fall and the grass was so overgrown I couldnt see anything, but it didn't look like the hogs had been through in a while.

Guess I'll have to try a different spot until the grass dies down.

On a different subject (non hog related), has anyone done any dove or teal hunting at Granger with any success? Thinking about giving it a try this weekend.

Comment

Right now, it is at 513.21 ft. Normal MSL is 504 ft. Pretty much that it is full already.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
                          when you say 10 1/2 feet increase...does that mean that if there was a measuring device in the water, that the water height is now 10 1/2 feet higher now than it was a few days ago or is there some other whacked out formula for that measurement?
                          Didn't you answer your own question.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bofly View Post
                            Didn't you answer your own question.....
                            I don't know that is why I asked...but by the non answer answer, I am guessing I guessed correctly...or is it the wrong assumption to assume that?

how's that for some non-sense....

Comment

Go to link here for recent Granger lake levels;
                              water, earth science, hydrology, hydrologic, data, streamflow, stream, river, lake, flood, drought, quality, basin, watershed, environment, groundwater, groundwater

You can see the lake level just before the flood was 502. Normal conservation pool is 504. and we are at 512, so yes, there was a huge rise in 48 hours. I suspect hunting in Sore Finger and Willis Creek should be a little better than usual as hogs were run out of some of their usual lowland haunts. Course, the mosquitoes are hellish right now too.

Comment

Bet it is muddy. Yeah, real muddy. Should make getting the boat out of the river easy, probably shoot hogs right from the canoe in the timber.

Comment

Working...
                                X