"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
    My buddy and I walked from 6 to 7 and back yesterday and didnt see anything. Still way to much corn up around there. Saw that there was some fesh pecans on the ground though. Also got caught in a beatuful rain storm that felt really cool. Prolly will try again next week.
    Be sure and scout out the pond about halfway between 6 & 7...there's a biggun that beds on the East side of it where the tall bloodweeds meet up with the pecans right by the waters edge...just no good way to approach his turf silently. At least he was haunting that spot back in late April/early May. Haven't been back in there since then. He wasthe first pig I ever saw at Granger (or Texas for that matter), and he charged me and then he hauled butt outta there (that's when I got hooked on this I think...the adrenaline rush was crazy) The bloodweeds were only waist high then, I moved on when they got so high/thick I couldn't move around without everything within 10 miles hearing me...that dude might just still be there. I'm heading back out there (Comanche Bluff/ Primitive Camp) late tonight to go in early AM for that big old sow I saw last week. I'm gonna be waitin' for her at her water hole at the crack of dawn! This time if I see her, I'm shootin' and thinkin' about how to get her outta there later, lol.
    Last edited by Idaho TradBow; 07-29-2010, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
      You ever try to hunt the fence line by the corn. I found some really big holes where the pigs were crossing. They have it torn up pretty bad. At least last year. Over by that white farm house. I imagine you could ambush a whole mess of hogs there right at dark.
      I know the spots your speakin' of and was wondering the same thing...but I bet they cross at night. That corn is so high/thick that they have food/shelter all in one place...no need to come back across the fence into the gov owned area except for water...they might get thirsty after daylight, like the bunch on the other side of the river by the comanche bluff area I'm pestering currently. Not sure. What crod was sayin' re the crops being harvesting/coming down makes a whole lotta sense when you see how thick those fields are, eh?

Comment

Know the water hole, been there many times. Only saw 2 hogs there once and never again because of darn bloodweeds. plenty of cow and hog tracks all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho TradBow View Post
          I know the spots your speakin' of and was wondering the same thing...but I bet they cross at night. That corn is so high/thick that they have food/shelter all in one place...no need to come back across the fence into the gov owned area except for water...they might get thirsty after daylight, like the bunch on the other side of the river by the comanche bluff area I'm pestering currently. Not sure. What crod was sayin' re the crops being harvesting/coming down makes a whole lotta sense when you see how thick those fields are, eh?
          You got 30 min before and 30 min after dark to hunt it. You would have till almost 10 oclock to hunt it. I got a shot at some hogs right off that fence a while back. There was a ton of them and I had little babys with in kicking distance and huge mommas on the other side of the tree. I was a bit nevrous and just grazed one. Ok I was scared **** less. It is pretty intense when you have pigs on three sides of you and babys under you. Momma dont like it when there babys are in trouble. Any how I am sure they travel it often. I have seen it covered back up and the pigs just make there way in again. With this heat they are heading back to water and mud during the day. I am sure of it. Pigs sweat glands are not effective and this being the main reason they wallow in mud and water for the evaporation. Unless theres a stock pond in the middle of that field they are coming and going. On these hot days is when I would be hunting the muddy low laying lands that are shaded and thick and along the river. Just my two cents.

Comment

Hi!, I'm Phillip Fields from Virginia. I've been reading through this thread and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm planning on a few days hog/javelina hunting in South Texas around Jan/Feb. After reading this thread I might extend my trip 2 or 3 weeks (I'm retired) and hunt some pigs around Granger. Would a couple of weeks give me enough time to learn enough about the area to maybe kill a pig or 2?

Comment

You got 30 min before and 30 min after dark to hunt it. You would have till almost 10 oclock to hunt it.
              That's not correct. The Legal shooting times for feral hogs on Granger WMA is from 30 minutes prior to Sunrise to 30 minutes after Sunset, NOT DARK. Yall sure don't want to get a game violation for hunting on public land after shooting hours because it's bad enough when it's committed on private property.

Be REAL careful and always double-check the sunrise and sunset times for Granger before going hunting or any place you hunt.

Comment

You got me. I guess my wording is not correct. Guess its closer to 9 oclock.
                Last edited by Dirtymike; 07-30-2010, 06:35 PM. Reason: to edit

Comment

Phillip you could go out there and get lucky and kill a pig right off the bat. You never know. I will tell you it aint easy. Cause they usally know you are there before you know they are there. It is thick out there. If you dedicated a few weeks to it I bet you could whack one. But like I said it aint easy. You earn your hog out there. Its not for lack of there being hogs cause there are tons of them.

Comment

Phillip, Dirty Mike has the right of it. Blind luck plays a big role. I went three times last fall, hunted hard, and saw nothing but tracks. The next week I went crappie fishing by gate 6 (checkpoint II) and had one come ambling down a game trail on the other side of the river. I could have hit it with a well cast lure it was so close, and it was during broad daylight (overcast day). PS, the fish skunked me too!

Comment

Phillip you could go out there and get lucky and kill a pig right off the bat. You never know. I will tell you it aint easy. Cause they usally know you are there before you know they are there. It is thick out there. If you dedicated a few weeks to it I bet you could whack one. But like I said it aint easy. You earn your hog out there. Its not for lack of there being hogs cause there are tons of them.
                      I appreciate the info. I didn't expect it to be easy, especially as I intend to hunt them with my longbow.

Comment

Phillip, if you need help getting on some hogs PM me. Cant guarentee anything 100% but for the 100s of times i've gone out my batting average is pretty good. I can prolly get yah on a few groups in a two week period.
                        Lot of the regulars including myself will prolly be more than happy to take you out and show you the ropes out there.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                          Phillip, if you need help getting on some hogs PM me. Cant guarentee anything 100% but for the 100s of times i've gone out my batting average is pretty good. I can prolly get yah on a few groups in a two week period.
                          Lot of the regulars including myself will prolly be more than happy to take you out and show you the ropes out there.
                          Crod, I appreciate the offer. I'll get in touch with you later in the year after I've finalized my annual trip for hogs/javvies. I usually put together a group of buddies from NC/VA.

Comment

I would like to join up with yall here in a few more weeks.. I like do a few weeks of dove hunting out there then i focus on hogs for the rest of the season unless I get drawn for a deer hunt.. I havent been on a hog hunt in prolly two months. Just to dam hot and way to overgrown..

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho TradBow View Post
                              X2 !!! That's the only deer hunting this kids gonna be doing this year. I'm really more interested in the hogs, but if I can hunt both in a general archery season as Somerville has I'm sure going to get there to scout out the area adequately before October. I want to go through Sorefinger and Willis before heading over to Somerville though. I think I can get the smaller acreage at the Somerville WMA scouted out in about 3 trips or so which would probably take me a month and a half to get in. So I should start by mid-August. Until then I want to get in those last areas of Granger I haven't dripped sweat all over yet. I found that the primitve campground area, the area below the dam (North side of the river), and the area halfway between gates #6 & #7 (pond) were all good. I also wanna go back for that sow I saw near the P.C. campground area when I shot my first pig the other day. She was freakin' onery and huge. I picked a smaller pig because even though I wanted that hog, she was just way too much for me by myself to get out of there with that approx 2 mile hike/drag back out to the parking area at Comanche Bluffs. The medium-ish sow looked easier to get out and I assumed more tender, so I begrudginly opted for that pig over her. She was a happy medium between the numerous small ones and the big sow. I have been reliving that scene over and over...about 5 minutes after I shot her younger/smaller herdmate she came back by herself to stare at me from on top of a rise overlooking where I was waiting to follow up my pig. The rain was pouring down hard as heck by then (and made my tracking a real chore too). She growled, then huffed, grunted...clicked her teeth (spooky)...and if looks could kill, I swear I'd be dead. When I stood up, and pulled my knife (just in case) she slowly turned and trotted off. I was wondering for a minute just how determined she was going to be! She's a beaut..all black russian...huge tusks, and just gnarly as all heck...I thought she was a boar at first until she turned sideways, and I saw a row of teats hangin' down off her..easily over 250/300 lbs, twice as tall as my 80/100 pounder and twice as long, and MUCH thicker/muscular...now all I can think about is getting that sow, and trying to come up with a way to get her big arse out of there without giving myself a coronary, or hernia...I am badly hooked on hawg hunting @ Granger I'm afraid ...
                              Twice as long and thicker? doesnt sound Russian at all to me..............

Comment

FYI, The guy that had cattle in the San Gabriel unit doesnt have them in there anymore. they took them out around the end of June. Has anyone noticed if this has made any difference? more hogs or less without the cattle in the area??????

Comment

Working...
                                X