No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck out ther Idaho TradBow! ....and watch out for the you know whats... LOL!!!

Comment

The question is: can ya hunt them with a bow? What is open season and bag limit for big lizards in Williamson County?

Comment

Originally posted by kestimator View Post
        Good luck out ther Idaho TradBow! ....and watch out for the you know whats... LOL!!!
        Thanks kestimator...struggling with my conscience...was gonna take wifey out to her favorite restaurant (Joe's Crab Shack on the Riverwalk) Friday night, but she says I should go hunting....dang...probably one of those female things where they say you *should*, but if you actually DO....ahem....prolly gonna go NEXT Friday I'm thinkin'...and to Nightstalker (nice avatar BTW- will refer to that when I get to butcherin' my 1st pig)...I think I remember reading that you can take alligators but only if on private land. They can be in public water, but you must be on private land when you shoot it with whatever (bow/gun/spear), and it must be brought out of the water on private land. And after getting the gator it has to be taken to TPWD for the hide to be tagged per CITES requirements...I'd double and triple check on that though, 'cause I'd suspect if wrong, the fines could be steep! I find it odd after years of making sure if it was ok or not to shoot a grizzly or wolf where I was hunting, I'm now talking about the same issue but with GATORS???? Boy I AM far from home, lol...

Comment

what exactly do i have to do to hunt pigs in granger? what hoops do i have to jump through?

Comment

Originally posted by rar15usa1 View Post
            what exactly do i have to do to hunt pigs in granger? what hoops do i have to jump through?
            Texas hunting license, WMA hunting permit, if born after september 2, 1971, you must also have a hunters education class

Comment

thanks blacksunshine.

Comment

Originally posted by rar15usa1 View Post
                thanks blacksunshine.
                forgot, this time of year you need snake boots and sulfur powder to keep the ticks off....

Comment

me and the old man have pretty much lived at Granger for years and never have seen any type of gator sign

Comment

I also have never seen any signs out there, but it doesn't mean they are not there. I have seen so many weird things out there I could never explain.

Comment

I wonder if a dragged hog would look anything like a gator slide?

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
                        I wonder if a dragged hog would look anything like a gator slide?
                        It might in some circumstances perhaps - but what I saw wasn't a slide, there were tracks in the mud stretches between water holes where it had lifted its body up and was walking with the last little bit of it's tail dragging behind...it's really pretty obvious, and doesn't really match up with, or resemble anything else...you see a continuous "s" shaped tail drag with foot prints to the left and right. And there's no sign of a depression between where it's belly would be unless it actually laid there and in fact DID "slide". What I was where obvious tracks of a gator on the move. Google pics of gator tracks on the net, and you'll see what I mean. They're really unlike anything else out there. I was skeptical myself, and thoroughly checked into all things gator (tracks especially)....and also discovered that some fishermen found a 42" long female gator in the spring of 2009 below the dam by the spillway. They called TX parks and Wildlife who captured and relocated it to a location further Southeast. They thought it could be a rare local or could also be a pet someone had released after it got too big for them to handle. What I at one time thought may have been gator sign between Gates 6 & 7 on an island I'm not so sure about now, and am inclined to dismiss them as gators - in fact looked like something "sliding" with no footprints clearly obvious like the ones were I'm referring to. The tracks I located in the that deep ditch/draw in the Northeast end of Pecan Grove were very clear, and very obvious. There was even evidence if it getting itself a "snack" along the way. I can track and read sign even though I'm new to this particular area. If I run into that again I'll take some pics and post them. I'm finding Granger to be a fascinating place. I mean it's a fun place to just get all camo'ed up, and melt into...some of the things I've seen in there have been pretty surreal, lol. I plan to get out there again just as soon as I can, but I have to check out the last few zones I've yet to explore (and hopefully skewer a pig), and then I'll head back below the dam again. I'll bet after all this rain fills those ditches a bit, that (or those) gator(s) light work back up into the back areas from the river...similar conditions to when I was there when I saw the tracks..within 2 days of some really heavy rains. Otherwise, I'd bet they'd stick pretty tight to the river. But who knows...I may never see sign like that again either...

Comment

I've spent hundreds of days out there over the last 20 years, and I've never seen a gator. That's not to say there couldn't be one or two of them somewhere in there, but I've never seen any sign of them. A lot of the "slides" you are seeing could be from nutria or beaver. There are a ton of them out there and they have slides everywhere. The tracks, I can't explain though.

Comment

I wonder if big ol' crane/heron tracks could be mistaken for gator prints???

also picturing someone sticking a hog, it runs down by the water and expires, hunter trots down to fetch, drags it up to more solid ground and the slid hog covers up the hunters footprints, .....

yea, I am a conspiracy theorist....and I love it!

Comment

Ive spent hundreds of days down there in the last 6 years and havent seen, heard a gator. I dont believe they are there till I see one.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                                Ive spent hundreds of days down there in the last 6 years and havent seen, heard a gator. I dont believe they are there till I see one.
                                Okay. I don't either ...but it's a fact (for me) that there were gator tracks where I saw them when I saw them...having not seen a actual gator there myself I can only surmise an actual gator leaves actual gator tracks (hypothesizing)...and the Fish & Wildlife folks aren't lyin' to me (wouldn't wanna call somebody a liar without proof they're lyin')... otherwise we're in agreement

Comment

Working...
                                X