No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run Blue Lacy tracking dogs, if you need assistance tracking your deer, I live in Georgetown. Just pay my mileage which shouldn't be more than $20.00, just want to continue to get as many blood tracks for my dogs as possible. Text or call 512-838-1698.

Comment

Anyone been out lately? Had a couple of foggy mornings last week but I was engaged and could not make it out. I imagine the mosquitos are pretty hellish after the rain.
      Last edited by NightStalker; 01-30-2024, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Went out to sore finger and found some right before the freeze, stuck my first at granger but never found it, went back while duck hunting last weekend and all the pig sign I had seen is underwater, looked like everything outlined in red was at least a foot under from what I could see.

Comment

Bowhiking. I have hunted that area. Never found much. Just a thousand willow trees and their fallen branches. Terrible walking. I approached by boat, rather than walking in. Some sign on the mainland, nothing on the peninsula.
          Last edited by NightStalker; 02-07-2024, 09:41 PM.

Comment

How is the duck hunting this year?

Comment

Before it was underwater all the sign and pigs I saw were in the thick stick grass or whatever it's called down near the shore. I figure anywhere that is easy Walking won't be where the pigs are. Didn't duck hunt granger till the last weekend of season, didn't even shoot but saw a decent amount flying. Pic of the south shore during the freeze not sure how to post without a picture?

Comment

Hunted west Sore Finger this morning, approached from CR 349. Weatherman goofed me. Forecast was for rain at dawn, overcast all morning, and sunny in the afternoon. I got out there right after the light rain ended, about 8am. The damp grass made for quiet movement. But the sun came out as soon as the rain ended, so there were no hogs still moving. I walked anyway just to scout.
                Poor scouting. There was no damage to the grain fields on the north side of CR 349. There was no fresh rooting around the blackberry vines on the WMA. No fresh tracks. Saw a few deer and dove, nothing else.
                Dam road is still under construction, so access to the Pecan Grove unit remains problematic.

Comment

You can access the east side of Pecan Grove from the "gate", 8 I think, that is right past the **** road. I'm planning on going out tomorrow morning and walk down a couple miles then crossing the spill way to a dry creek when I've see lots of hog sign.

Comment

Let us know how it goes, Bulldog. They did not evaporate, they have to be somewhere. Unless, . . . . . . . . there are no pigs at Granger😀

Comment

Did not see a single hog but lots of sign down the spillway about 1.5 miles in. Did see lots of deer, about 25, and 3 toms and one hen. There was lots of hog sign, maybe corn the creek some.

Comment

Hunted gate 4 today, the little patch on the west side of CR348. Lots of pigs seen, but no shots taken. I figured the low overcast and cool temperatures might get them moving, and the high winds would cover the sound of my movements. I was right on both counts. One problem: while the stiff breeze was generally out of the SW, it was highly variable, there were lots of eddies and crosscurrents.
                        I spotted a group of 2 brown sows and 5 yearlings first, at about 715pm. They were moving through an area of tall grass about 30 yards away and at first all I saw were the sows shoulders. They were getting closer. They were crosswind to me. At 20 yards they broke into an open area. I was trying to draw a bead on the closer sow, but she was not presenting a good shot. A moment later she winded me and they all ran off. Ten minutes later I spotted a single black hog (probably a boar). He was 20 yards upwind and moving almost directly toward me, but we saw each other at the same instant and he ran off.
                        As dark was falling, I set up 20 yards downwind of a heavily used game trail. Nothing came down my trail, but at 8:05 pm a group of 6 black hogs came down a more distant trail. I could see them clearly, but brush prevented me from taking a shot. I actually heard one of them grunt twice a minute before they came into view. Legal hours ended at 8:15.

So, an exciting two hour hunt. Note to self, bring bug juice next time.

Interestingly, the wheat field on the south side of the parcel was starting to make heads, yet I observed no hog depreciation of the crop.

The first group was at 30.699936256580994, -97.4223326859982
                        The boar was at 30.69900535756163, -97.42236877330264
                        The last group was at 30.70024309664214, -97.41997808711551
                        Last edited by NightStalker; 03-25-2024, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I hunted gate 3 and the north side of Willis creek on Saturday evening. Didn’t see anything in either location. The wind was changing throughout the day which was why I switched to Willis after first going to the San Gabriel. Walked around for hours trying to keep the wind in my face. Only saw cows, squirrels, and deer. On my way out I was cutting diagonally across the fields just south of 349 and noticed a large, at least 2 acre area, of pretty fresh rooting. But that was all the info my walking yielded.

Three weeks ago I shot my first pig, a sow, on the south side of Willis Creek. I was on foot right at last light. I shot it at 15 yards as it walked right by me. It was within 200 yards of CR348, just north west of the gate. Never found the dang thing. There was blood in the area that I shot it but it entered a massive thicket of poison ivy and green briar and ran for a good 10 seconds in a dead sprint before it crashed. I waited 30 minutes and then looked around in the dark for over an hour. Always sucks to wound something and not find it.

I’m thinking about going out there this evening.

Comment

Bowmasterluke: Hurts to not find the animal, but the local farmers thank you anyway. Any speculation as to where you hit it? Were you going for a double-lung or for a heart shot?

Comment

If the forecast holds and there is heavy overcast, I will try my luck again this evening, Wednesday.

Comment

Nothing seen this evening. Was not fully overcast, about 50% clouds. And the wind died completely, not a breath. This made it hard to know where my scent was drifting.

Comment

Working...
                                X