No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed To Granger now. Meeting longbow and another guy this afternoon, maybe we'll see of few of you guys out there.

Comment

Man I wish I coulda gone.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
        You'll be runnin into about 20 guys out there for the Ranger hunt!!! See you out there. Come meet all of us at the primitive campground.
        Doh! I missed this post before I left or I would have stopped by. We did run into a bunch of folks in the San Gabriel unit and a couple in Pecan Grove. Didn't see any pigs though, it was a rough weekend. We saw sign of them all over but didn't come across any. None of us know much about hunting hogs though so maybe there was a problem going on with our technique. I'd like to head out again in a couple weeks just for a day hunt if you or anyone else would like to tag along and show us newbies around the area. Sorry I didn't get to see ya'll out there, I wish I would have checked the site before I left!

Comment

I hit Pecan Grove yesterday. Got their about 530am and kind of wandered around in the dark for a while. Finally set up not far from the spill way and saw 3 hogs about 300 yards off coming across the spill way gully. when it finally go light out we found the dirt road that takes you back into the unit. Saw lots of fresh rooting and even surprised two that were laying up in the wood in the very back of the unit. Saw one dead hog that I guess was shot during the helicopter shoot (just skin and bones left). I can't believe how much we walked yesterday. We made it all the way to the back of the unit where it dead ends into the river. I found some really promising spots. I think with the full moon the last few night the are moving only at night. Can't wait to get back out their. I would really like to go out to some of the other units with someone who knows whats going on out their. I am free most weekends and all day on Fridays. Only takes me about an hour to get down their from Waco. Would also like to go out to Aquilla. So Sent me a PM if interested.

Comment

Hello everyone. I am new to the hog hunting extravaganza and I am trying to do as much hunting as I can squeeze in between deployments. My self and 7 buddies all got together this last weekend and did some nonstop walking looking for some bacon to shoot at but none of us shot at a single pig. We barely saw any. Is it better to still hunt or creep your way through the woods? I have deer hunted since I was about 12 and shot plenty of woodchucks, rabbits, squirrels etc. But I am definitely trying to figure the hogs out. Any insight would be very much appreciated. I am stationed at Ft Hood so Granger is not that far of a drive and I kinda chalked this trip up to a scouting trip. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Went to access point 4 on Saturday. Didn't see anything. Scared a rabbit and a coyote but did not see any hogs. Followed flinging arrows around in circles till the sun went down.

Comment

I was lookin for tracks.

Comment

I can not believe this was Granger less than 1 year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    I can not believe this was Granger less than 1 year ago.

Nothing like that now....back to the old days of kickin logs to find the hogs....and look under every blow down

Comment

Granger Lake/park place right? in between taylor?
                      THis sounds like a good idea. Ok, s o the Public Land hunting lisence/permit, Can you get it throughout the time at any time?

Comment

Cameron, I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but if you are asking what I think then yes, its near taylor and yes you need the Anual public hunting permit to hunt there. Also yes, its all year round for hogs, archery only. You can pick up the permit at Walmart and I believe there is an Exxon off of SR95 that you can buy the permit and license at also.

Comment

Ok thanks. But online it says from August 1st to September 1st of the next year. So do i have to wait till August or can i get it now, and do ihave tobuy another one in august?

Comment

Its just like all the other Licenses you get, its from September 1st to August 31st or something like that. You can buy one now but its only good until August 31st and then you have to renew it. Its really just an addition to your current license but you gotta have it to hunt public land in Texas.

Comment

Now that I'm back from the shoot-out I will try Granger....maybe this coming weekend.

Crod, I know you would love the shoot-out you really need to go next year. I shot 4 Javi's(recovered 2) and 1 hog but never found it. I feel I will do much better next year now that I know the ranch a little. Maybe they can do the Granger hunt a different week than the shoot-out...stunk they were at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                                Now that I'm back from the shoot-out I will try Granger....maybe this coming weekend.

Crod, I know you would love the shoot-out you really need to go next year. I shot 4 Javi's(recovered 2) and 1 hog but never found it. I feel I will do much better next year now that I know the ranch a little. Maybe they can do the Granger hunt a different week than the shoot-out...stunk they were at the same time.
                                Id like to go, keep me in mind next year and maybe ill play hooky from the ranger hunt next year

Comment

Working...
                                X