No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Muzzy I was unclear. I was meaning I would rather hear a story like yours than only,"I shot a hog today" Enjoyed reading it.

Comment

Txfirefighter... I plan on either just taking out the hams and loins. However I am prepared to drag it back to the truck and use bottles of water in the truck to clean it. I guess it also depends on how nasty the thing is, what the temp is outside, how far the truck is, how long I have been out and if anyone is with me. I would not bring it to my house to clean however. I dont want hog anything in my trash can. I also would not like the ticks and lice to get on my pets and end up in the house with the family. Just clean meat at the house. Leave all the guts and hide out there for the buzzards and yotes.
      Last edited by Dirtymike; 02-19-2010, 09:45 PM. Reason: Edit

Comment

Muzzy I just remembered part of what else I had said that got erased. You said you were in a canoe. Did you put in at Prmitive lanch. If so how was it? Have not dropped a boat in there since last summer when it was really really low. Was wondering if it was high up and an easy lanch.

Comment

Pics....Pics....

Comment

Dirty I did NOT put in at the primitive lanuch, I entered somewere else by crossing private land put I did paddle past the primitive boat launch and it looked as it always does the water is a little higher but getting lower every day. And it was LOADED with people people people everyhwere. Although I am seeing pigs I am seeing more people than anything.

Comment

reply to txfirefighters question

TXfirefighter when I shoot a hog that is particularly nastier than normal I do a couple things different that you might find useful. One if the hog has a considerable amount of lice and ticks on it before I begin cleaning it I spray with bug repellant to deter from finding a tick the next day were the sun doesn’t shine. After skinning it I take the hide and other waste products away from the house, like mike said I do this in a timely fashion in order to prevent the lice and ticks from getting on the family pets. If you don’t have a pasture to dump them in I would suggest a secluded county road although some may disagree with that it is not a big deal something will eat it. As for the meat I tend to leave it in ice water for 12 hours before (A) BBQing it or (B) boning it out or (C) freezing it. By doing this it helps to remove most of the hair and dirt left behind from skinning it and helps to remove some of that wild smell. As far as lice are concerned the lice on animals is not the same as lice on humans so you don’t have as much to worry about those but ticks are ticks and if your not careful will wind up in some all to unfortunate spots. Hope this info was helpful and not to overwhelming if you need help making sausage and cutting pork chops and the works well you have my number and we can figure something out its kind of one of those things if you get all that stuff out to get it dirty the more the merrier just do it all at once kinda thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post
                Were you in "D"? That's the south side of the river where the Primitive camp is.

We've gotten small really stinky ones out of there also for some reason.

Good job on the porkage.
                No further up river closer to the main lake

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                    Muzzy I just remembered part of what else I had said that got erased. You said you were in a canoe. Did you put in at Prmitive lanch. If so how was it? Have not dropped a boat in there since last summer when it was really really low. Was wondering if it was high up and an easy lanch.

Dirty I did NOT put in at the primitive lanuch, I entered somewere else by crossing private land put I did paddle past the primitive boat launch and it looked as it always does the water is a little higher but getting lower every day. And it was LOADED with people people people everyhwere. Although I am seeing pigs I am seeing more people than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
                      Somewhere on here is a post from a guy saying he was going out with a group in a few weeks. That was a few weeks ago. Im wondering if it was him and his group you saw? He was looking for as much info as possible. Seems wierd for it to be that packed. Even the Ranger has told me that the primitive camp gets more use during the ranger hunt than any other time. 6 days till Friday!!!! Cant wait!!

Comment

Looks like 60s and a chance of rain Friday evening and Sunday evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Muzzy100 View Post
                          I have not hunted below the dam in several months has anybody been down there and hunted since the helicopter and if so are willing to mention what you saw. NO need to specify were below the dam just wondering the current stats down there.
                          It has been slow down there the last few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                            Somewhere on here is a post from a guy saying he was going out with a group in a few weeks. That was a few weeks ago. Im wondering if it was him and his group you saw? He was looking for as much info as possible. Seems wierd for it to be that packed. Even the Ranger has told me that the primitive camp gets more use during the ranger hunt than any other time. 6 days till Friday!!!! Cant wait!!

So is friday covered in this 50$ bounty I hear of or is it only sat and sun...day ?

Comment

I think once Wildman parks his truck at and starts taking people over to the PC its game on....

Comment

Here piggy piggy:

Comment

Working...
                                X