"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pbaird View Post
    Where is the best place to park to access the area below the ****?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    There's a small parking lot at the top of the lake side of the dam nearest the entrance and another further down near the spillway

Comment

Looking forward to hunting public land. I'm near Granger and wondering how most folks set up? Is this mainly a spot and stock, pitch a corn out and set up?

Are trees stands left over night? I'd image some folks might not respect a stand left over night and take it?

Thanks for any insight!

Comment

Thank you JSpradley. Would it be best to be on the North or South side of San Gabriel River over near the Spillway?

Comment

Originally posted by AdventureBoy View Post
          Here's a tips for the noobs. Don't hunt easily accessible areas with heavy traffic. Don't hunt the woods in the winter, no cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Yep. Just because you find lots of rooting pig-sign does not necessarily mean there are any hogs bedding down near there. During the day, which is the only time you can hunt Granger, you need to find where they are sleeping, and that will always be in cover, and usually pretty thick cover.

There's pretty much a direct relationship between your desire NOT to go in "there" and the likelihood of pigs being in "there".

Pigs can travel miles from their beds to feeding grounds each night.

Last edited by Endo; 01-17-2017, 09:48 AM.

Comment

I've always kicked them up in the thick stuff. They are tough. At the dam, the west side of Granger, and gates 6-7, primitive camp. They're all over, but they do travel. Putting in the miles is a must. Also, sorefinger.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you JSpradley. Would it be best to be on the North or South side of San Gabriel River over near the Spillway?
              Can't answer that one...I didnt have any luck haha

Comment

Thanks again guys. I have been routinely going to 6 and walking trails towards the pond and gate 7 as well as down towards the river. I think my biggest problem is the fact that i have only been able to go at like noon and stay until about 3PM or so. Might have better luck in this same area early in am or late evening wouldn't you guys think?

Comment

I have best luck early AM or right before dark. They sometimes move right before sunset. Walk slow and listen.

Comment

A lot of blood weed (giant ragweed)behind primitive camp right now, and that is where they bed down. Move slow with the wind on your face and locate them.

Comment

Is the Primitive Camp area the one with the circle drive at the end of CR 496?

Comment

Is the Primitive Camp area the one with the circle drive at the end of CR 496?
                        Yes, you gotta walk in there a bit. 3 miles from circle drive to camp. Unless you take boat from the launch.....

Comment

Primative launch is closed. Has been for months..no access..the sign says use other entry gates!

Comment

Originally posted by NAVY CHIEF View Post
                            Primative launch is closed. Has been for months..no access..the sign says use other entry gates!
                            Get out the Sketchers.

Comment

new to the forum never hunting public land and BOWHUNTING. Looks like this would be a much different hunt than most traditional hunts. Looks like most folks are looking for bed down sites, can you not hunt pigs after dark in public land?

Comment

Originally posted by Fredmorris View Post
                                new to the forum never hunting public land and BOWHUNTING. Looks like this would be a much different hunt than most traditional hunts. Looks like most folks are looking for bed down sites, can you not hunt pigs after dark in public land?
                                No hunting after dark on WMAs.

Comment

Working...
                                X