Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
    Haha ...im new to hunting and the thing I've learned from my limited three years of experience is you gotta put the work in and don't expect any help...people put in a lot of time and effort, especially public land, that they aren't giving up knowledge easy.
    Expect to hike for a good 15 days or so and then you might get a shot at a sprinting pig haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
    Wildman and I actually sat down and figured this up one time; keep in mind this was many years ago.

We figured that you would get to shoot at pig once out of every 6 hunts and the average to kill a pig was 1 in 12 hunts. If you take a normal hunting weekend you could possible get in 6 hunts in one weekend. One after work Friday, three on Saturday and two on Sunday. Of course, this is hunting a different place each time as well. If you hunted hard, you probably get a shot at a pig in a weekend and it usually required two full weekends of hunting (or the equivalent) to actually kill and recover a pig at Granger.

Comment

****, I wish my odds were that good.I have scouted just about all of Granger in the last two years and have seen alot of wild life and only got off 1 arrow and missed. Hunting is a passion for me and I plan to spend the rest of this year out there trying like hell to get a pig. I'm also looking forward to the next extreme hunt in February. It will be my first time .

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
        Wildman and I actually sat down and figured this up one time; keep in mind this was many years ago.

We figured that you would get to shoot at pig once out of every 6 hunts and the average to kill a pig was 1 in 12 hunts. If you take a normal hunting weekend you could possible get in 6 hunts in one weekend. One after work Friday, three on Saturday and two on Sunday. Of course, this is hunting a different place each time as well. If you hunted hard, you probably get a shot at a pig in a weekend and it usually required two full weekends of hunting (or the equivalent) to actually kill and recover a pig at Granger.
        100% agree. it takes a lot of walking SLOWLY and patience to get a Granger pig.

On a side note I have a question for everyone. Something I've noticed. Tell me if you agree and what your experiences are.

The hogs at Granger are almost 100% nocturnal (from what I've experienced). I have seen some on the move during dawn and dusk; but I almost always kick them up when they're bedded down during the day.
        What have you guys seen as far as their patterns? Have you seen them on the move during Daylight hours? I pretty much just stalk - as that's the only way I've had any success.
        Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by strigif0rm3s View Post

On a side note I have a question for everyone. Something I've noticed. Tell me if you agree and what your experiences are.

The hogs at Granger are almost 100% nocturnal (from what I've experienced). I have seen some on the move during dawn and dusk; but I almost always kick them up when they're bedded down during the day.
          What have you guys seen as far as their patterns? Have you seen them on the move during Daylight hours? I pretty much just stalk - as that's the only way I've had any success.
          I've never seen them during the daylight hours moving around. It's always been scaring them while bedded down.

Comment

I've seen it all...

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
              I've seen it all...
              Oh I bet.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

The best way to hunt them is just like you say; sneak and peek until you spot one before it spots you.

Another good way is to post up along the edge of a field at dusk or dawn and catch them transitioning. I have a favorite spot behind PC where I can see for a long way; I then wait for them to come out of the hardwoods into the field and then put the sneak on them. This is fast and furious as you are not only trying to stay out of sight of the pigs but you are also trying to beat the setting sun.

There are a 'few' places back in the timber that you could sit and get a shot before they head into the fields. They are few and far between and are highly guarded secrets; but they are out there. Once again, these work best early morning or late evening.

Comment

Is there a 2017 GRXH thread yet? I can't find it....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                    Is there a 2017 GRXH thread yet? I can't find it....

Here ya go buddy...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
                      Thanks! Subscribed!

Comment

Conforming what strigif0rm3s said: May find pigs moving in first half hour and last half hour of legal times. Movement at other times: Sunny or partly cloudy day = no movement. Heavy overcast or fog = may get movement. There are exceptions, but you don't plan your hunt based upon the exceptions. Windy days help too, as they cover the sound of your movement. Best day is a windy overcast day following a light rain or heavy dew.

But really, don't bother. There are no pigs at Granger.

Comment

New to Texas, got a new bow and was wanting to go hog hunting. Seems Sore Finger is the place to do it. Any experienced Granger hunters willing to show 2 of my co-workers and I the ropes at Granger? We are hoping to go 1/21/2017, obviously our chances of getting a pig are slim without the knowledge of the land. Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by DaneGarcia View Post
                            New to Texas, got a new bow and was wanting to go hog hunting. Seems Sore Finger is the place to do it. Any experienced Granger hunters willing to show 2 of my co-workers and I the ropes at Granger? We are hoping to go 1/21/2017, obviously our chances of getting a pig are slim without the knowledge of the land. Any info/help would be greatly appreciated.
                            Come the weekend after Valentine's.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                              Come the weekend after Valentine's.

Sounds good, is there an even going on then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaneGarcia View Post
                                Sounds good, is there an even going on then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                GRXH!!

Comment

Working...
                                X