X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just saw a pack of 12 behind the dam.

Comment

Originally posted by JLively View Post
      I believe that just letting us hunt after dark would sure help.
      Is this even inforced. You do have 30 min after dark also. It can take a few hours to walk out from deep. Even longer carring a pig. There is no proof what time the pig got stuck with an arrow. If it is 40min after dark and pigs are moving all around me I might have to stick it out a few more min till they offer the shot. Feel like it is my duty to help with the hog crisis. I would be willing to do that for the local farmers. Not really I follow all game laws. I have come across a few hunters out there after dark on my way back in however there were still set up and hunting.

Comment

I usually try to hang out until the 30 minute after dark but I am always out by myself and with at least a 30 minute walk back from my usual spot I dont test it too much, would hate to run up on some hungry coyote at night with no firearm although after the heli hunt that is probably not too likely to happen. I think all of the meat eaters are pretty well fed now.

Comment

Anyone been out recently? We're heading up there with a fairly large hunting party the end of this month. Just curious if anyone is seeing anything and if so do you mind saying where? I'm sure there are plenty to go around

Comment

I will tell you i've seen at least one hog each time ive been out this week near the river. And watch out for ticks, they are starting to get bad.

Comment

baits untouched midweek in sore finger . . . .

Comment

Will be going out this weekend. Rain or shin. anyone else

Comment

Gourgous mourning to be out...good luck to all who go out. I will be out there Monday mourning.

Comment

Any updates from this mourning?

Comment

Blacksunshine popped his Granger cherry today. We had a good time. Not sure what yall are talking about on how the heli shot messes up hunting. We were all over pigs. Actually i have seen more pigs since they did the shoot. But also I think it maybe cause I found a honey hole, get into pigs every single trip to this area so far. Packed back a baby and tracked another one seemed like for ever.Blood trail got smaller and smaller and it got dark. Had a great time. Thanks for tagging along BS, and the corn. Soak those feet and get ready for the next hunt.

Comment

Mike and I went out today, saw probably 15 or so hogs...whacked a few, couldn't find the big one, tracked it for an hour or so....then nothing...blood just stopped....self sealing gas tanks I guess...

found several rotting hogs from the heli hunt I guess.

I did whack a rabbit from about 15-20 yards...broke a broadhead on him.

Place is kinda flooded out in several places, hard to get around.

Man my outta shape feet are sooooooore...ask Mike, man I whined like a little girl....

Comment

Great to hear guys...my feet are ready to go tomarrow mourning. This should be a good week with the weather.

Comment

Granger sounds like a good place to try for a pig. I haven't read all 21 pages of this thread, but I looked over quite a bit of it. I also noticed the number of views...How crowded is it over there? I hunt the LBJ grasslands some during archery only season. Is it similar to the set up over here? There are 1000's of acres to hunt, but it is spread out over a couple of counties. Without someone giving away their secrets you just have to study the maps and take a guess at which "unit" to try next. Also, I noticed a couple of people carry in supplies for sleeping out in the woods. So, you can camp on the land, but you just aren't allowed to be hunting after dark. Is that correct? Thanks

Comment

The only place you can camp is at one of the parks or the primative camp. You can only get to it by boat, or hike. I think its called Fox Bottom. I carry a bunch of crap. I hope to one day be able to do a self guided elk hunt and see this as kind of training. But I think I am just dreaming. But hey that is free so..... There are a lot of pigs out there. I wont tell you were they are cause that is part of the fun. Exploring all the wma. Hunting your own style. I can tell you that I find it easiest to go after a rain so you can find fresh tracks easy. Find choke points on creeks where it is too steep for them to cross other places. Every thing out there crunchs with every step so wet weather helps with that also. You will run into other people. Not always bad. We had some guys on boats fishing push a sounder of pigs towards us. They were about 80 yards out so no shot. The pigs dont always go too far when you bump them. I think they are aware that when they are moving they are making as much noise as we are and are easier to track. It is thick woods out there. It would not be hard to walk past them if they did not take off or make noise. You have 30 min before and after dark. Right at dark the woods come alive. You should be in a good ambush spot set up and waiting to pop them. GPS is your friend after dark for sure. And have your walking boots on. You will cover some ground to find them. The spot I hunt is a littel over a mile back. Pm me I will go with you if the timing is right. I cant get enough of it.

Comment

Where is Granger at?

Comment

Working...
                                X