• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh mud!

Yee hawg!

Comment

Originally posted by Archer23 View Post
      Native Michigander here. They will have a healthy hog population in the next few years. I have buddies with many pics of hogs on state and private land in mid-Michigan. Go Blue!!
      Go BUCKS

Comment

Just got a new crossbow. Going to set it up and sight it in tomorrow. Going to teach my son to shoot it so hopefully he can get his first pig with it before he has to go back to Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ajcarricktx View Post
          Just got a new crossbow. Going to set it up and sight it in tomorrow. Going to teach my son to shoot it so hopefully he can get his first pig with it before he has to go back to Michigan.

I love mine. I shoot my bow and crossbow 50/50 now.

Isis spelled backwards is SISI.

Comment

Drove out there today to see how it looks.
            The east side of the primitive launch looks pretty navigatable with some of the grass on the trails looking low.
            May try it this week.

Comment

Originally posted by ajcarricktx View Post

If you don't mind my asking - what kind (brand) crossbow did you get? Features, etc.?

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

So when are we going to hold the next hunt?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
                  If you don't mind my asking - what kind (brand) crossbow did you get? Features, etc.?

Thanks,

Dave

I got a Horton vision 175 with reverse limbs. I like it because it's nice and compact and the weight balances great. It also shoots great.
                  50 yard shot group.

Comment

Thank you for this information, ajcarrick.

Much obliged - good hunting.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Crossbow all checked and shot one last time and getting our gear all ready. Hopefully tonight my son can close the deal on a hog at hog mountain. I know he's one excited 7 year old.

Comment

Flux capacitor

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm planning on going out and braving the jungle which Granger becomes in the summer as I have a few days off(for once) coming up. I went out a few weeks back to scout/explore/try to get a hog and saw some pretty recent sign between 6 and 7, but between the brush and tall grass a hog could have been within 10 feet of me in some places and I wouldn't even know.

Gonna check out a few areas I haven't been to despite the low chance of success, at least I'll get a chance to become more familiar with the area. This leads to a question:

Looking through this thread, it seems to general consensus is that spot and stalk is the most effective strategy throughout the year, though several members seem to have had some luck posting up in a tree stand. Do y'all think it would be worth it to hike in with a climbing stand, or is it just a waste of time? At the very least, I'd be away from the venomous critters(hopefully!).

Several posts in the thread suggest the hogs are probably in the corn on the neighboring farms, so I was thinking about looking for a tree somewhere close to a boundary adjacent to one of the corn fields, and hoping a pig might want to go for a stroll.

Comment

Look for recently used game trails between corn fields and heavy cover. Set up downwind at first and last light.

Another seldom used technique in this time of year: find recently used hog wallows, then come back and stalk up on them in the middle of the day. There is a hog wallow area within 50 yards of gate 7, SE of the gate on the north side of the parking area.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
                              Look for recently used game trails between corn fields and heavy cover. Set up downwind at first and last light.

Another seldom used technique in this time of year: find recently used hog wallows, then come back and stalk up on them in the middle of the day. There is a hog wallow area within 50 yards of gate 7, SE of the gate on the north side of the parking area.
                              Thanks for the advice, I think I actually know about where you're talking about, as i was checking it out last time i was out there. I'll definitely give it a look!

Comment

I can show you a pig in the daylight every evening. However, it's too hot and mosquito's and snakes are out.

Isis spelled backwards is SISI.

Comment

Working...
                                X