No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD used to do shotgun draw hunts for hogs at Granger. The same entities that support the helo hunt actually did a formal request for TPWD to increase the number of those shotgun hunts in order to harvest more pigs. Instead, TPWD discontinued them all together. I wish Trey would bring those hunts back.

Comment

They use to kill the crap out of hogs on the shotgun hunts too

Comment

Originally posted by Granger455 View Post
        TPWD used to do shotgun draw hunts for hogs at Granger. The same entities that support the helo hunt actually did a formal request for TPWD to increase the number of those shotgun hunts in order to harvest more pigs. Instead, TPWD discontinued them all together. I wish Trey would bring those hunts back.
        Granger 455 from 446!! Or should I say Frendship Batalion Cheif 1 from Batalion Cheif 2. Never seen you post on here before. I didn't know that they used to have shotgun hunts! What the heck were they thinking getting rid of those?

Comment

probably too many hog crazed loons out there with shotguns....

Comment

The only reason they have to bring in the helos is because we bowhunters are not good enough to keep the numbers in check, and the reason we bowhunters can't kill enough to keep the numbers in check is because we are not allowed to hunt after legal hours. If they would let bowhunters in at night, they could save the cost of the helocopter shoot. Not clear to me why they won't at least try it on a trial basis.
            Last edited by NightStalker; 01-29-2010, 10:12 PM.

Comment

The shotgun hunts became rifle hunts which still include your choice of shotgun and now pistol.

We all used slugs on those hunts because of their accuracy and knock down power.

The hog chopper will never make a dent in the herd.

Humor me please.

The only way to get rid of the majority of Granger hogs would be extensive trapping over a long period of time but it would be a BIGTIME money losing operation for TPWD.

The lucky bidder would have to run at least a hundred box traps that would need to be checked, baited, and maybe unloaded daily.

Call me crazy but 100 traps would be needed if you wanted to do it right.

Those of you who have hunted out there in all the units or worked out there can pick a unit and think of many places where you'd put a trap and catch em.

There are miles of bank from the primitive boat dock to the farthest point on G and back around to the mouth of Willis creek.

I'm guessin I could I could trap 500 hog the 1st month with 30 well placed traps in the San Gabrial unit.

Your daily totals would fall off over time but that's fine.

So....

100 traps at $250 $25,000

5 trucks, trailers, 5 ATV $150,000

300,000# of corn $36,000

3 helpers $75,000

Supervisor up to $75,000

Those are off the top of my head not including daily's like fuel, insurance, meeting environmental restriction, vandalism, maintenance and a whole lot of other stuff.

Your requirement would be to rid the WMA of 95% of hog in 365 days and establish a successful program that can be the model used at all WMA statewide.

Could you remove a lot of hogs using less traps? Sure, but I don't think you'd meet your requirments.

In conclusion, for the near future, there are always gonna be plenty of hogs at Granger!

Comment

Originally posted by gbeard View Post
                Dang blacksunshine I'd be neck deep in Lawyer fees. It costs a lot to cover ones butt. lol

I have hunted on many farmers places over the years and have never had one complain of this ! Not saying it is not true but it seems to be one of those old wives tales , that really mean I don't want anyone to hunt on my land but I don't want to be rude either. This attitude seems to be prevalant in Texas more than any other state I have hunted. I listened to one farmer/rancher in Lampassas for 3 hours complain about how he can't keep sheep or goats on 4000 ac he owns in Jarrell because of the hogs and coyotes , but when I suggested I would hunt them for him. Oh , I don't let anyone hunt on my property . Then don't complain about it !! All hunters are not going to shoot your property up and leave the gates open. My 2 cents only !

Comment

I dont know what yall are talkin about.... They aint no hogs at granger! hehe notice this was the same day they killed 100 pigs.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TXFireFighter View Post
                    I dont know what yall are talkin about.... They aint no hogs at granger! hehe notice this was the same day they killed 100 pigs.
                    Very niiiiccceeee. Gettin warmed up for GXRH!!

Comment

Originally posted by alec73065 View Post
                      I have hunted on many farmers places over the years and have never had one complain of this ! Not saying it is not true but it seems to be one of those old wives tales , that really mean I don't want anyone to hunt on my land but I don't want to be rude either. This attitude seems to be prevalant in Texas more than any other state I have hunted. I listened to one farmer/rancher in Lampassas for 3 hours complain about how he can't keep sheep or goats on 4000 ac he owns in Jarrell because of the hogs and coyotes , but when I suggested I would hunt them for him. Oh , I don't let anyone hunt on my property . Then don't complain about it !! All hunters are not going to shoot your property up and leave the gates open. My 2 cents only !
                      You are right. I wont complian anymore.

Comment

Dang thats a nice group of pigs. I hope yall can get a few of them.

Comment

You are right. I wont complian anymore.
                          I wasn't trying to make you mad and I am sorry if I did , you seem like a very nice guy and you give tons of GREAT advice to all of us on here. I am just saying give a few people a chance and you will find that we will 1) help with the Hog/Coyote problem. 2) close the gates 3) not shoot your cows 4) not sue you. I have started out on more hunting trips and ended up helping farmers move cows, bale hay , fix frozen tanks and various other farm chores and never gotten my rifle out of the truck. I have always tried to not be the hunter that shows up the night before the season starts to ask permission to hunt. I am usually the guy there in the spring driving tractor and helping plant or whatever needs to be done. I have tried to form that relationship with anyone here in Texas but have been cussed out, flat out told no , or just told the liabilities are too great.

Comment

Traps don't work for long unless you relocate them a good distance after each sucessful use. Hogs learn fast. Mostly you'll catch the younger ones and that is not the main breeding population. A 100 tarpets would be a massive effort, just the area around Primitive that I am most familiar with it would be very difficult work.
                            I think the combined bowhunting and a shotgun hunt or two, plus adding some night hunting would help some.

Comment

Granger 455 from 446!! Or should I say Frendship Batalion Cheif 1 from Batalion Cheif 2. Never seen you post on here before. I didn't know that they used to have shotgun hunts! What the heck were they thinking getting rid of those?
                              I was just reading this thread and wanted to make a point. It seems that some of the bowhunters feel that the powers that be are somehow against the bowhunters. that is false assumption in most cases. The people who are most interested in doing something about the feral hog problem at Granger (yes it is a problem) dont care how we get the numbers, as long as we get them. I would love for TPWD to give the hunters a little more advantage. I think a shotgun hunt each month would be a benefit to us, and a revenue maker for the state. I think they used to charge $50 per hunter for those hunts. they were lottery type just like the deer hunts. they do let the gun deer hunters shoot pigs, but lets face it, deer hunters on a drawn hunt usually wont squueze on a pig and screw up the rest of their deer hunt. As far as night hunts, I agree that would improve the hunters chances, but on a WMA, it aint gonna happen.

Comment

Very nice, and I know it's probably a silly question but I'll ask anyway. What unit. I put a trail cam out last night and anxious to check it in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X