"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
    nah, I just sign away any responsibility on your behalf...once I enter the gate, I am entering at my own risk and peril...easy as pie....

help me to help you....hahahaha
    see......if everyone would just help everyone we wouldnt have to hunt granger and have to spend money on the darn permits!!! Good thinkin blacksunshine.

Comment

hey blacksunshine, off topic but is Klein's Processing right off of main street in Pville? I was passing through there today, tried to see if I could see it, but did not. Wasn't really looking all that hard though.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeard View Post
        hey blacksunshine, off topic but is Klein's Processing right off of main street in Pville? I was passing through there today, tried to see if I could see it, but did not. Wasn't really looking all that hard though.
        hmmm...dunno...don't ever really drive through town...but, I had to look it up now that you mentioned it...

found this:

kleinsmeats.com

whilst googling I saw a mention of Delahunty lane and then remembered there used to be someone who did processing out of their house there in the Springhill subdivision, behind the walgreens on 1825...just remember that because that it the neighborhood that I grew up in...but have no clue who the Klein's might be.....

found this page:

control-f and look for klein, shows 15209 delahunty, 251-3300

Comment

ten 4 thanks. Buddy of mine gets dried sausage made there and it is pretty dang good for a pretty good price. Just thought you might know.

Comment

didn't know of a processing place in pville till recently...lived here my entire life...but only started hunting the last 3-4 years...have to call tomorrow to get the skinny...

Comment

Being that we own land out there I can say that landowners have no say so in the matter of the Heli shoot at Granger. Yes they do ask landowners if they can fly over private peoperty but its not like we ask them to come, or hire them (our pockets aint that deep either).

The reason that they do the heli shoot is because the Army Corps of Engineers, Texas Parks and Wildlife, and the US departent of Agriculture have realized a nation wide problem of a very distructive and invasive species. The wild hogs are NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!!! They are bad for deer and all other native species as well as the farmers that produce YOUR FOOD!! Think about that for a little bit.

I understand that you are mad that hunting is messed up (for a month or two out of a year) but this is for a very important cause. Everyone is better off with hog control in the long run.
              I hear what your saying, and I agree with you. And I'm not mad, I just wish that they could do the heli-hunt at a time other than what alot of hunters consider the prime time to be out there trying to stick a pig. It would be nice to think there could be some kind of compromise, but thats probably doubtfull, at best. From an agriculture standpoint, I'm sure the farmers like the fact that it happens before their crops are in the ground.

Comment

Congrats Surfin Pete!!!!

Comment

Yea the farmer may not like the fact that the heli is chasing them into there fields. They really have to do it now. Cause most of the cover is dead. Everything is not all green up already. Also about the cost of the permit. Its 48 bucks. Find me a place where I can hunt hogs year round or even a month for 48 bucks. Hell even a night. Most hog hunts are atleast 100 bucks. It is still a good deal. Try a dove hunt and price it. I think we get a hell of alot for 48 bucks a year. It is a large area with tons of wildlife and hunting oppertunities for a more than fair price. Just get out there and hunt it, enjoy it, and forget about the fact there was ever a heli shoot. I bet you will still find a pig. You wont find it at home. I am sure someone will find a pig. I hope it is me this weekend. I would rather be out there hunting then upset about a heli shoot. Wish me luck Sat. Should be out there all day.

Comment

Being that we own land out there I can say that landowners have no say so in the matter of the Heli shoot at Granger. Yes they do ask landowners if they can fly over private peoperty but its not like we ask them to come, or hire them (our pockets aint that deep either).

The reason that they do the heli shoot is because the Army Corps of Engineers, Texas Parks and Wildlife, and the US departent of Agriculture have realized a nation wide problem of a very distructive and invasive species. The wild hogs are NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!!! They are bad for deer and all other native species as well as the farmers that produce YOUR FOOD!! Think about that for a little bit.

I understand that you are mad that hunting is messed up (for a month or two out of a year) but this is for a very important cause. Everyone is better off with hog control in the long run.
                    Does the heli shoot actually help enough to make a difference? If so then we who paid for the permit did get screwed. Not this year for me because I knew they would do it, but last year I was ticked.

And it does mess up hunting for a little while IMO. Shooting 100 pigs is 100 pigs less you could possibly see and it's hard enough to get one with a bow..making it just 10% harder is a big hit IMO.

I know they hurt farmers and they are not native. I'm just in the same boat as Crod. And I get tired of people saying the hile hunt does not make it harder but at the same time saying it helps the farmers a lot...It can not do both.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                      Yea the farmer may not like the fact that the heli is chasing them into there fields. They really have to do it now. Cause most of the cover is dead. Everything is not all green up already. Also about the cost of the permit. Its 48 bucks. Find me a place where I can hunt hogs year round or even a month for 48 bucks. Hell even a night. Most hog hunts are atleast 100 bucks. It is still a good deal. Try a dove hunt and price it. I think we get a hell of alot for 48 bucks a year. It is a large area with tons of wildlife and hunting oppertunities for a more than fair price. Just get out there and hunt it, enjoy it, and forget about the fact there was ever a heli shoot. I bet you will still find a pig. You wont find it at home. I am sure someone will find a pig. I hope it is me this weekend. I would rather be out there hunting then upset about a heli shoot. Wish me luck Sat. Should be out there all day.
                      I agree, and dont forget, we are not limited to Granger, that 48 bucks covers a lot of places.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        Does the heli shoot actually help enough to make a difference? If so then we who paid for the permit did get screwed. Not this year for me because I knew they would do it, but last year I was ticked.

And it does mess up hunting for a little while IMO. Shooting 100 pigs is 100 pigs less you could possibly see and it's hard enough to get one with a bow..making it just 10% harder is a big hit IMO.

I know they hurt farmers and they are not native. I'm just in the same boat as Crod. And I get tired of people saying the hile hunt does not make it harder but at the same time saying it helps the farmers a lot...It can not do both.
                        I didn't say that it doesn't make it harder to hunt. I agree that it makes it much harder for the simple fact that there are less pigs (for a little while). And yes the shoot helps enough to make it worth while.
                        Last edited by gbeard; 01-29-2010, 06:11 PM.

Comment

isn't lake gtown a corp place also? can you hunt oinkers out there?

Comment

i couldn't resist and has to go out for a bit tonight. Didn't see as many remains as i expected but saw one pretty fresh head laying in the middle of a jeep trail. Good news is rhar i saw 2 alive and heard several more. They are deffinately not quite as vocal and i has to go a little deeper but there was a lot of fresh sign. I think we're OK!!!

Comment

some hogs will cannibalize one another, if it's dead, it's dinner....ie, i would not be surprised if you did not find much in a couple of days and the rest that are still there are having a feast on their dead brethren keeping them out and about out in the open more than normal...

I need to get out there soon...

Comment

Poor guy, I'm really only sad cuz I didn't get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X