Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by strigif0rm3s View Post
    You can't shoot hogs with a gun out there..... Just fyi
    Totally read gun.....gut. My bad. It's early

Comment

Originally posted by strigif0rm3s View Post
      Totally read gun.....gut. My bad. It's early
      It's all good. I bow hunt Granger, but I've come across a few folks who were sporting illegal firearms out there. One was out there yesterday evening in fact.

Y'all be safe out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
        It's all good. I bow hunt Granger, but I've come across a few folks who were sporting illegal firearms out there. One was out there yesterday evening in fact.

Y'all be safe out there.
        Yes I've seen it too.

Comment

The game Marshall states is people out there using firearms to hunt Hog especially at night he's been trying to get them but I guess its hard to do so.
          All we need is a stray bullet hurting one of our fellow hunters or fishermen out there people can be so stupid!

Comment

Went out on Sunday, 6:45AM, Gate 4, 65F. Wind was dead calm, and we did the North side. We were able to cross the small tributary from the North rather sooner, and saved some distance. We were also able to bypass the virtually impenetrable cedar jungle there.

We took the fast path for the first mile and a half, largely up along the field line. Dropped into the trees to check the spot we saw three large pigs last time (near VII), but no one home today. The little mud hole by that tree has dried up. We then went up to the cottonwood toward the end of that 1st tree line, and the hog signs were everywhere again. Continued East and checked out the old home site. There's a well secured pop-up blind and a small (operating) feeder at the South end of that. Then East more and South, down East of VIII on the map.

That is a very interesting place. I'm going to call it the mud flat. Every single step you take lands on pig tracks. Every step. Some old, some new. The big trees are all dead, but it's pretty easy to get around without making much noise. Which was good, because we came up on a couple of pigs there at close to 10:00AM. (One large, dark, let's say 160# and another, lighter with dark spots, maybe 120#) We heard them and saw them, but they didn't bolt. They were probably at about 20 yds, but were back inside a forest of twigs which made a kill shot questionable. They started walking, and we tried to follow them West, but hit the creek without seeing them, so we doubled back again. I went out in front to try and cut off their escape route to the North and drive them over to my kid.

You may continue reading when you stop laughing. I came up on them, and they did head back slightly West as planned, right before putting on their swimsuits and hitting the creek for a short swim to safety.

Excellent day at Granger. A bit too warm, perhaps, but we didn't see any snakes this time. It will require snake protection hereafter.

Fishermen in transom canoes were WAY up into Willis Creek. We even passed one on foot. Only saw one hunter, and he had a gun - hopefully a .410 looking for squirrels, but I didn't ask. Barrel was too small for a 12ga or 20ga. I never heard him fire.

Comment

Please tell me that someone was able to get out there today!!!! Any of you lucky middle of the week hunter's play in the mud? Cloudy windy cold and wet. I just wish the weather pattern held true to the weekend as projected 2 weeks ago. Oh well, should hit up gate...... well haven't decided but for sure somewhere this weekend. Aldo i havr breenThinking of getting some snake boots, any advice from someone who has a pair. Of boots that is.

Comment

Oh yeah, forgot to mention my wife got a tick out there two weekends ago. Thought it was crazy for ticks in February.

Comment

My third Granger hog for 2016. Got it today around 5:45pm.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CARNAGE68 View Post

Nice one bro !!!! any signs of ticks on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Schultz1503 View Post
                      Nice one bro !!!! any signs of ticks on it?
                      Did not see ticks or lice.

Comment

Ive posted this on the recap but Im gonna post it here too...

I saw three hunters not associated with GRXH 2016 that did not have any blaze orange on front or back of torso...they had blaze orange lids but none on the torso.

Warning: I am the large blaze orange critter wearing leg gaiters...I will go out of my way to interrupt my hunt and whoever elses to politely remind whoever is not wearing 144 inches on front and back of torso...of the rules.

Yee Hawg!

Comment

Originally posted by CARNAGE68 View Post
                          Awesome! Good job Carnage. I think I found one of your bolts stuck in a tree east of gate seven...just beyond the feeder creek. Green nock? I tried to dig it out but it was stuck like chuck.

Comment

Conditions were excellent yesterday, the 23d. About 1-1/4 inch of rain overnight had the ground and leaves damp, but did not leave puddles. High winds too, out of the NW. The combination of damp ground and high winds meant you could move cross county absolutely silently. High overcast offered the possibility that the pigs would still be moving in daylight.

But it was not to be. I hunted from gate 6 to gate 7 (to keep the wind in my face) for 4 hours and did not see a thing.
                            Last edited by NightStalker; 02-24-2016, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Well, not exactly true. I did not see a hog, just lots of deer. I did stumble across a turkey nest with two eggs in it. Pretty cool, as I have never seen a turkey at Granger.

Comment

I also tried something new. Hunted gate 4/Willis creek, but hunted the WEST side of county road 348 that crosses the WMA.

Weak. Some pig sign, but not much.

Comment

Working...
                                X