Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna head out with my daughter around 2. Thinking about hitting below the dam. Haven't been there in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer23 View Post
      Gonna head out with my daughter around 2. Thinking about hitting below the dam. Haven't been there in a long time.
      Good luck!

Comment

Tons of people fishing and allot of squirrels around that dam was there yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Schultz1503 View Post
          Tons of people fishing and allot of squirrels around that dam was there yesterday
          No pigs?

Comment

None and went to sore finger then Willis creek that showed allot of evidence very recent

Comment

Originally posted by Archer23 View Post
              No pigs?
              They are there...

Comment

Went in at Gate 4 today, 7:00A, 36 degrees, wind turning to the South. We wanted to do the North side of the creek, so we headed up towards IV until we could cross that tributary. From there, we basically just meandered down towards VI for about 3 miles. Came up on three good sized pigs, ~175#. I only saw the back side of the last one myself - and didn't get a shot off. They took off North into the fields.

I think it would have taken a helicopter to get a pig out from there. Would probably have had to leave it by CR 349 (TPWD map) / CR 350 (USACE map) and drive around to it. We got back to the parking lot at noon.

Tons of pig sign out there, and a number of nice little ponds and mud holes. Impressive briars too...

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
                  Tree chicken, the other white meat...lol
                  Holy smokes!!! Outstanding Chief!!!

Comment

Hello all this is my first post. I went out to pecan grove with my wife saturday morning and walked the south bank then down the power line. Walked along the creek a bit and circled back. Did not see any pigs but did see a few signs of them. Then went to gate 5 and gate 6 just to walk around in the afternoon to do some tracking. I mostly spot and stalk but have not been successfull yet. Do any of you hang feeders? I have a bucket feeder but thought someone might just steal it.

Comment

Walked about 5 mi in Sore Finger yesterday am. Tons of tracks,many fresh. Didn't see a single piggy. Was out there from 9am-1pm

Comment

Originally posted by LonestarGent View Post
                        Walked about 5 mi in Sore Finger yesterday am. Tons of tracks,many fresh. Didn't see a single piggy. Was out there from 9am-1pm
                        They are out there. Ugh. Hard to shoot the evasive sore finger pigs

Comment

fulldraw91: My experience, for what it is worth, is the hogs will usually come to your feeder after legal hours, and yes, theft is very common. So, if you feel you NEED to use a feeder, then use a cheap PVC pipe feeder, or a perforated bucket feeder (just a 2-1/2 or 5 gallon plastic bucket with lid and a dozen 3/4" holes drilled in it, the hogs have to roll it around to get the corn out) Better is to sour some corn a few days earlier, and then bury it in a group of three or four holes in a muddy area. Deer and coons won't steal your soured corn, and the pigs will find it easily.

That said, feeders wont do much right now, with all the pecans on the ground, maybe next month.
                          Last edited by NightStalker; 01-24-2016, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Nightstalker, thanks for the tip. I have been out there and seen really good signs but never any pigs during daylight hours. Just one of those right place right time things. I hunted private land for a while and got spoiled, dinner bell rings and pigs come running. I can already tell I will have to hone my skills a bit on public land.

Comment

Originally posted by NightStalker View Post
                              fulldraw91: My experience, for what it is worth, is the hogs will usually come to your feeder after legal hours, and yes, theft is very common. So, if you feel you NEED to use a feeder, then use a cheap PVC pipe feeder, or a perforated bucket feeder (just a 2-1/2 or 5 gallon plastic bucket with lid and a dozen 3/4" holes drilled in it, the hogs have to roll it around to get the corn out) Better is to sour some corn a few days earlier, and then bury it in a group of three or four holes in a muddy area. Deer and coons won't steal your soured corn, and the pigs will find it easily.

That said, feeders wont do much right now, with all the pecans on the ground, maybe next month.
                              +1

Comment

No feeder, only deer will come to it, hogs are full of pecans...hunt the pecan trees at first light and last light.

Comment

Working...
                                X