No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw quite a few hogs and even saw my first batch of piglets. Mom busted out of a brush pile and left them. I circled around bow ready because I could see movement and there were ten piglets maybe a few days old there. They scattered into the brush pile. I found it odd that mom took off and never came back as I was ready to get charged but nothing. I left them were they were and moved on. Next brush pile a monster boar came out of at ten feet away and crashed through a barbed wire fence into private land breaking two strands of wire and bending a t post. I've never seen anything like it. I was sure the fence was going to turn him back my way. It was way to dry and noisy to effectively give a good stalk but still managed to see plenty and get to full draw a few times. The piglets and big boar made the trip worth while. Lost my hunting buddy for 9 months due to deployment but I will be out still and maybe the old lady too. Still working on that one.

Comment

Didn't make it out today, life happened and didn't have a chance to tune my broadheads yesterday, I've just been practicing with field points. Gonna get that done today though. I'll be hunting on private land next week but hopefully I can make a trip out to Granger next week.

Also, noob question: does anyone use a leaf suit or camo face paint? When Ive been out there it seems like you'd get hung up on just about everything, and since hogs don't see too well I'm not sure if the face paint would be necessary.

Comment

Went out for a short bit with the kiddo this morning. Busted a small group early, but nothing after that. Ran into one other hunter just across PC. Exchanged what areas we had covered and moved along. Very shortly after I found a small pair of binoculars. If you think these are yours shoot me a pm with the brand name so we can meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
          Your brother must really love you! That is one of the finest production blades on the planet; I LOVE my E.S.S.E. steel!

However, my everyday pig sticker is the Busse Combat Satin Jack. That E.S.S.E. is one helluva knife though.
          Man rat that's a fancy knife you got...looks very nice and special custom steel too...I just ordered a new set of custom tkc scales for my esse to make it a little more fancy and better ergonomics all in one.

Comment

Originally posted by ajcarricktx View Post
            Saw quite a few hogs and even saw my first batch of piglets. Mom busted out of a brush pile and left them. I circled around bow ready because I could see movement and there were ten piglets maybe a few days old there. They scattered into the brush pile. I found it odd that mom took off and never came back as I was ready to get charged but nothing. I left them were they were and moved on. Next brush pile a monster boar came out of at ten feet away and crashed through a barbed wire fence into private land breaking two strands of wire and bending a t post. I've never seen anything like it. I was sure the fence was going to turn him back my way. It was way to dry and noisy to effectively give a good stalk but still managed to see plenty and get to full draw a few times. The piglets and big boar made the trip worth while. Lost my hunting buddy for 9 months due to deployment but I will be out still and maybe the old lady too. Still working on that one.
            Yes, they are survivors, sows will run off and will not defend the piglets I have even put them in my cargo pockets to squeal every step I took, she will just have another litter, she will go back to them though..I raised a few from babies to eat, they are over 100 pounds now...much cheaper to let them grow off granger then shoot....way cheaper..

Comment

Rat like my TK Custom 7 1/4" blade for pig sticking as well. Have a BK 2 coming as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                Whizuh-whuh?

To hunt hogs at granger you need:
                1) a bow, knife, or bare teeth
                2) valid tpwd hunting license
                3) archery stamp
                4) Annual public hunt permit
                5) boner for hog meat

Ducks: duck stamp and shotgun

Deer: Granger draw deer permit

Ref:
                TPWD 2015-2016 outdoor annual bible; TPWD APH 2015-2016 Guidelines; USACE Ft Worth District Hunting Guidelines

I may be wrong.

Sooie!
                From the 2015-16 Outdoor Annual.
                Archery Endorsement

Type 135:
                $7
                Required to hunt deer or turkey during an Archery-Only open season. Required to hunt deer at any time in Collin, Dallas, Grayson or Rockwall counties.

Comment

I got double this morning, about two minutes apart. One is about 160 lbs. and the other about 50 lbs. The small one is no good (see picture).
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CARNAGE68 View Post
                    I got double this morning, about two minutes apart. One is about 160 lbs. and the other about 50 lbs. The small one is no good (see picture).
                    Great job!

Comment

When did you start using crossbow?? Saw your last couple were crossbow kills. No more recurve?

Comment

Originally posted by strigif0rm3s View Post
                        When did you start using crossbow?? Saw your last couple were crossbow kills. No more recurve?
                        Last Saturday I used my longbow. I made three shots total and one connects but only got fats on my arrow. Not enough power to go through briars.
                        Last edited by CARNAGE68; 01-16-2016, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Carnage, congrats. You are awesome. I think i might make my way out in the morning. Gonna find a spot and sit, maybe a pig will come by and impale itself on my arrow.

Comment

Congrats again Carnage! You're about as lethal as a helicopter hunt Now, what the heck is going on with that 50lb'er?! Festering wound in the hindquarters?

Comment

Thanks. I only took the back straps, but changed my mind and throw it away.

Comment

Originally posted by CARNAGE68 View Post

Real nice all I want is one hog and I'll be happy no luck whatsoever how do you do it

Comment

Working...
                                X