No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well there are 113 of them laying out there right now. They quit at 4:00pm. Pretty good day! 68 of them came from the river around primative and Taylor park. That was a hot spot. I think they got 28 behind the dam and the rest came from private property.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeard View Post
      Pardon me.. 99 hogs!!!! All before luch break
      That blows......................... thiers my license purchase down the drain.

Comment

Well there are 113 of them laying out there right now. They quit at 4:00pm. Pretty good day! 68 of them came from the river around primative and Taylor park. That was a hot spot. I think they got 28 behind the dam and the rest came from private
        property.
        Did they say what they got in Caldwell County? We heard them but didn't see them.

Comment

Where is the video?

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bubba's bulletman View Post
            Did they say what they got in Caldwell County? We heard them but didn't see them.
            He said they flew Caldwell Co. yesterday. He didnt say how many but he did say that they had heck shooting on some of the places they flew due to heavy brush. You might call Eddy and ask him.

Comment

Originally posted by blacksunshine View Post
              Where is the video?
              One of the Park Rangers was taking a lot of pictures but I dont think that anyone had a video cam. Man I would love to be the guy in that helicopter. How do you get such a cool job?

Comment

Do they fly the same places at the WMA more than once or do they just try and pass everything? That sounds like a lot of pigs down. May put a damper on hunting for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by apoc330 View Post
                  Do they fly the same places at the WMA more than once or do they just try and pass everything? That sounds like a lot of pigs down. May put a damper on hunting for a while.
                  ohhhh it will put a damper on the hunting, does every year.

Comment

Are they flying again tomorrow? What area?

Comment

I dont know, 100 hogs dont seem to be all that much compared to the number that is out there. If they dont pick the hogs up how do they confirm the kill? Can you get the pics. Would be neat to see. I think they are really doing what has to be done. I think it would be more effective if they had a comp to see which set of dogs and hunters could harvest the highest number of hogs over say a three day weekend. I think it would be fun for the hunters, cost no money and actually make some money. I know chopper fuel cant be cheap, the pilot sure aint. Just seems like a not very effective route to cut down on the hog numbers. I think the reason it is used is cause it is way more fun for the guys that have the heli and the ones that are lucky enough to do the shooting. They should at least make them follow the WMA rules. Bow only.

Comment

Guys,
                        Don't worry. The hunt is for show and little else. It's conducted mainly to help out and appease the surrounding landowners and it makes a very small dent in the hog population at all. I was told by Trey several years back that the hog population hovered around 1500 give or take a few hundred. To shoot them they have to run them out of heavy cover with the heli where they can blast them on open ground. Those of you who hunt out there know how hard that is to do. Yes, it will have them spooked for a while, but things will return to status quo pretty quickly.

Comment

I just wish they would do it a little later in the year. Right now seems like a good time for hog hunting for the peeps that went out and purchased a permit. Its after the deer draw hunts, before the return of poison ivy season. I know its for the best, and helps the deer pop. out. I agree with Montec and Treys assesment is probably right on. Im sure they have their reasons for doing it now. I just wish they could show some love for the folks that threw down a little donation to hunt out there.

Comment

One of the Park Rangers was taking a lot of pictures but I dont think that anyone had a video cam. Man I would love to be the guy in that helicopter. How do you get such a cool job?
                            That would be the coolest job ever! If anybody knows anything about how those guys get that jog, please post. I often wondered if they where ex-military or something. I bet those guys wish they had a video cam. for that slaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Montec man View Post
                              Guys,
                              Don't worry. The hunt is for show and little else. It's conducted mainly to help out and appease the surrounding landowners and it makes a very small dent in the hog population at all. I was told by Trey several years back that the hog population hovered around 1500 give or take a few hundred. To shoot them they have to run them out of heavy cover with the heli where they can blast them on open ground. Those of you who hunt out there know how hard that is to do. Yes, it will have them spooked for a while, but things will return to status quo pretty quickly.
                              Maybe they should do it during the summer, maybe August or so when its to dang hot for hunters to hunt out there and hunting traffic is very slow. Not now right after deer season, when the weather is great for hunting and people are still filling the itch to hunt.

Thier timing doesnt reflect a decision based upon the hunters that utilize the property and buy the licenses to do so. I agree it needs to be done to protect the landowners crops, but do it with everyone interest in mind, We hunters have money invested into Granger also.

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
                                I just wish they would do it a little later in the year. Right now seems like a good time for hog hunting for the peeps that went out and purchased a permit. Its after the deer draw hunts, before the return of poison ivy season. I know its for the best, and helps the deer pop. out. I agree with Montec and Treys assesment is probably right on. Im sure they have their reasons for doing it now. I just wish they could show some love for the folks that threw down a little donation to hunt out there.
                                Ditto, I swear I was typing when you were LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X