"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigLig View Post
    I sure didn't. Part of my going back out to PG is in hopes that I'll stumble across it. Not hopeful but worth a shot.
    Not sure if I'll be in the same area, but I'll keep an eye out for it if I hit PG tomorrow as well.

Comment

rookie question:
      what gear do you take with you other than your weapon of choice and pig sticker?
      do you guys field dress on spot or is there a designated spot?
      just dont want to step on any ones toes.

or if anyone would like to show a rookie the ropes on how to do it the granger ranger way.

**** i feel like a rookie.
      Last edited by Rugby hunter03; 01-15-2016, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rugby hunter03 View Post
        rookie question:
        what gear do you take with you other than your weapon of choice and pig sticker?
        do you guys field dress on spot or is there a designated spot?
        just dont want to step on any ones toes.

or if anyone would like to show a rookie the ropes on how to do it the granger ranger way.

**** i feel like a rookie.

Since I usually am out there alone I pack a trash compactor bag in my day pack to haul out the quarters and backstraps. I quarter it where it lays and toss the rest under a bush for the vultures. I also bring a couple ziploc bags for the opportune rabbit kill.

I always wear my blaze orange and pack a headlamp in case I'm walking back around dusk.

The best time to go is right after a good rain! Your footsteps are muffled and the smell of fresh pig beds is more intense. Tracking is also easier in the mud.

Comment

Originally posted by Village View Post
          Since I usually am out there alone I pack a trash compactor bag in my day pack to haul out the quarters and backstraps. I quarter it where it lays and toss the rest under a bush for the vultures. I also bring a couple ziploc bags for the opportune rabbit kill.

I always wear my blaze orange and pack a headlamp in case I'm walking back around dusk.

The best time to go is right after a good rain! Your footsteps are muffled and the smell of fresh pig beds is more intense. Tracking is also easier in the mud.
          thanks for the info, the last time i went hog hunting i was on private farm land and it was set up for hog skinnin

Comment

You have to carry the hogs out whole, that's what the rule book says for a rookie, gut then pull across your shoulders so the hog lice can get on you, if you do this you won't be a rookie anymore....lol hahahaha.

Comment

Somebody in this thread said an archery endorsement is required to hunt hogs at Granger. From my understanding, you only need an archery stamp during ARCHERY ONLY season while hunting deer or turkey or in specific counties. Can somebody clarify with a source please?
              Last edited by LonestarGent; 01-15-2016, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Whizuh-whuh?

To hunt hogs at granger you need:
                1) a bow, knife, or bare teeth
                2) valid tpwd hunting license
                3) archery stamp
                4) Annual public hunt permit
                5) boner for hog meat

Ducks: duck stamp and shotgun

Deer: Granger draw deer permit

Ref:
                TPWD 2015-2016 outdoor annual bible; TPWD APH 2015-2016 Guidelines; USACE Ft Worth District Hunting Guidelines

I may be wrong.

Sooie!
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-15-2016, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Thhhppptt!
                  Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-15-2016, 11:47 PM. Reason: Thhhpppttspake

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
                    You have to carry the hogs out whole, that's what the rule book says for a rookie, gut then pull across your shoulders so the hog lice can get on you, if you do this you won't be a rookie anymore....lol hahahaha.
                    dont forget the daum hog tag. I think its dumb to have to use a hog tag at Granger. No where else in TX is it required or even heard of.

Hog tags and sorefinger will get under your skin

Comment

Omg u guys are gonna scare off anyone from hunting granger [emoji23][emoji23][emoji12][emoji12][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                        Whizuh-whuh?

To hunt hogs at granger you need:
                        1) a bow, knife, or bare teeth
                        2) valid tpwd hunting license
                        3) archery stamp
                        4) Annual public hunt permit
                        5) boner for hog meat

Ducks: duck stamp and shotgun

Deer: Granger draw deer permit

Ref:
                        TPWD 2015-2016 outdoor annual bible; TPWD APH 2015-2016 Guidelines; USACE Ft Worth District Hunting Guidelines

I may be wrong.

Sooie!

OMG!

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                          dont forget the daum hog tag. I think its dumb to have to use a hog tag at Granger. No where else in TX is it required or even heard of.

Hog tags and sorefinger will get under your skin
                          I was in Duches last Saturday and they're already stocked up on hog tags for the GRXH rush.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSNAVYCHIEF View Post
                            Um, your posting as if u are, we're deer hunting, you would be poaching, might need to re word or change your post...Deer hunting strictly draw only and it was over on Jan 3. Fyi, game wardens police this forum
                            I apologize if it sounded like we were deer hunting, we were not. Very different rules for that, clearly. I was only reporting what we saw. Since I didn't include squirrels and rabbits, I see how my message was open to that interpretation. My bad.

I look forward to meeting the game warden - I have about a dozen questions for him. I imagine that as the bass fishers converge, I will get that opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
                              Just looked it up...that things a beast...I have one similar but 6" blade...esse6..was a gift from my brother and I wasn't going to use it until I killed my first pig out there but that seems to be taking a while so I'm just going to start hacking **** with it
                              Your brother must really love you! That is one of the finest production blades on the planet; I LOVE my E.S.S.E. steel!

However, my everyday pig sticker is the Busse Combat Satin Jack. That E.S.S.E. is one helluva knife though.
                              Last edited by Rat; 01-16-2016, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by byrontx View Post
                                I apologize if it sounded like we were deer hunting, we were not. Very different rules for that, clearly. I was only reporting what we saw. Since I didn't include squirrels and rabbits, I see how my message was open to that interpretation. My bad.

I look forward to meeting the game warden - I have about a dozen questions for him. I imagine that as the bass fishers converge, I will get that opportunity.
                                No apology needed.....happy hunting...I used to put any and everything on here but not anymore..

Comment

Working...
                                X