"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
    Pretty positive you can't carry at Granger...
    Federal property, no carry.

Comment

When the COE ran the hunting you could not carry, now that TPWD has control LTC can carry.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
        When the COE ran the hunting you could not carry, now that TPWD has control LTC can carry.
        It is still owned by the feds, no carry on federal property, period. Did y'all even take the CHL/LTC class?

Comment

Tpwd told me i could......

Comment

Originally posted by strigif0rm3s View Post
            Tpwd told me i could......
            Wow...haha yeah that clears things up...you can't have firearms but hypothetically you would need to have your concealed...
            What the he'll is that answer supposed to mean

Comment

I asked about open carry (not knowing Texas laws and just double checking)

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                It is still owned by the feds, no carry on federal property, period. Did y'all even take the CHL/LTC class?

Not true as a general statement. It is true for federal buildings, but not necessarily true for land and wilderness areas.

Most federal wilderness areas (parks) choose to follow the state rules in which they are located. For example I know that you can carry on PINS (Padre Island National Seashore). I have been personally checked by a park ranger there when I was carrying my pistol.

Firearms

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park. It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. Note that firearms, even legally possessed ones, are prohibited in all Federal buildings.

Having said that, I don't know the Granger specific rules...and that email posted is vague and not at all a clear answer.

Besides, granger pigs are not normal hogs. They are not aggressive. They are very skittish and run like hell. Hogs at granger that have an attitude live very short lives. Natural selection at work out there. Not saying a hog coming after a human out there is not possible, but I'd be surprised and I've personally never seen it in my years out there. That includes multiple times of snatching screaming piglets from a sounder.

Comment

I was told it was illegal to carry concealed on Granger by the game warden, face to face (Mike, the last game warden) because it is owned by the army and is federal property.

He also said it was a federal offense to do so. I've never seen it written or researched it, just didn't do it.

I'll take Mike's word over an email written by some pimply faced office guy at Smith School road any day.

If you have it in an actual statute somewhere that would be the only way I would carry. As I said, if it isn't legal it's a federal offense.

I would hate to see someone get federal time because of a post on TBH...

Comment

Just asked. I didn't plan on carrying but if was allowed it would be nice for following a blood trail into some of the thick areas for sure.

Comment

I agree with you on that recommendation . My understanding is that each Fed park can set their own rules.

It gets confusing when you combine pure gun carrying questions with a hunting situation. That tends to lend itself to confusing questions and interpretation. I sure as hell am not going to get in a position of trying to explain to a granger game warden that I'm not using my gun to hunt hogs...only the bow I'm also carrying.....riiight. Lol.

Also, part of my response was questioning why anyone would feel the need to carry a sidearm for hog defense...at least in granger. I think you are in more danger from crack/methheads out there, but that's a different topic.

Comment

Nice post's endo

Comment

Originally posted by Endo View Post

Besides, granger pigs are not normal hogs. They are not aggressive. They are very skittish and run like hell. Hogs at granger that have an attitude live very short lives. Natural selection at work out there. Not saying a hog coming after a human out there is not possible, but I'd be surprised and I've personally never seen it in my years out there. That includes multiple times of snatching screaming piglets from a sounder.

Glad to hear that. I've been meaning to ask how aggressive they were as I would like to take my 10 yo son out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ajcarricktx View Post
                            Can you carry a pistol at granger for self defense? Had a couple of scary close encounters today. We did spill some blood but lost them when they crossed a fence into private land.
                            Federal, not allowed, I wouldn't be posting...

Comment

Originally posted by byrontx View Post
                              My son and I made our first hunt at Granger this morning. We've done recon, but this was the first time with weapons. Thanks to everyone on the thread for familiarizing us with the area and terminology in advance.

We arrived at Gate 7 at 6:45 in time to be in the woods at sunrise, 7:02. 34 degrees with, unfortunately, a decent breeze from the North, which would make it hard for us to get downwind of any piggies. We met a couple of gents from the forum in the parking lot. They were headed Northeast towards Gate 5, so we went West towards the steps.

After about half an hour, we came up on 12-15 pigs - but they knew we were coming and took off like scalded, well, pigs, due North up an obvious (and marked) hog superhighway. We followed them maybe 50 yds up to a little mud bowl, but never saw them again. Did see a deer to the West there, but at rifle distance, not crossbow. The pigs seemed small, probably nothing over 75#.

We continued South and West a total of about a mile, past a cable strung over the river, and to a fenceline that you'd have to cross or go around to continue in the WMA. Then we turned around, walking between the private property line and the river. Saw another deer down at that end, but again, not close. After less than ten minutes - by the old washing machine - we walked up on a larger hog, maybe 100#. We were within 15 yds, but it took us by surprise and we didn't get a shot off.

Perhaps not great, but a good morning hunting! As total noobs, we have some work to do on our style (and noise). Hopefully we scared pigs towards other hunters and not away from anyone. We never saw another soul once we left the parking lot, though I know that we went in the 'less popular' direction to start with.

Happy hunting!
                              Um, your posting as if u are, we're deer hunting, you would be poaching, might need to re word or change your post...Deer hunting strictly draw only and it was over on Jan 3. Fyi, game wardens police this forum

Comment

Originally posted by ajcarricktx View Post
                                Can you carry a pistol at granger for self defense? Had a couple of scary close encounters today. We did spill some blood but lost them when they crossed a fence into private land.
                                Illegal to carry, federal....

Comment

Working...
                                X