"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
    Alright guys I got my orange on and ready for grxh, briarfriar don't worry I got you an extra set
    I hear banjo music in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
      Good hunting. Maybe next time we can seal the deal. I'll be out quite a bit that first week of January. I txt you and we can give it a go again.
      Hell! At least I got to see some hogs that day. That was well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
        Alright guys I got my orange on and ready for grxh, briarfriar don't worry I got you an extra set
        That's disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by PigAddiction View Post
          That's disturbing.
          Or hilarious. ..tomato tomoto

Comment

TXUSNAVYCHIEF would you be kind enough to help another retired chief learn the ins and outs of hog hunting in tx. For landowners luck we don't have hogs in northwestern ky. I'm going to be in falls county, in mid September. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I was a submariners and retired off the USS Dixon. Thank you for any assistance.

Comment

75 yards!!!!

Comment

Costa in the house!!! Where at?

Comment

I'll be out tomorrow with my brother. I'm going to set him up to use his doe tag and I will be in the bottoms chasing pigs. I will report tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
                    75 yards!!!!
                    Wow...impressive congrats. ...how's the deer killing coming along

Comment

75 yards!!!!
                      DUDE! You can't throw that out there and not tell us the full story! C'mon, I know you can tell a good story!

Comment

Originally posted by Will R View Post
                        TXUSNAVYCHIEF would you be kind enough to help another retired chief learn the ins and outs of hog hunting in tx. For landowners luck we don't have hogs in northwestern ky. I'm going to be in falls county, in mid September. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I was a submariners and retired off the USS Dixon. Thank you for any assistance.
                        Yep, u can call me anytime Brother, 5129208355, David

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                          DUDE! You can't throw that out there and not tell us the full story! C'mon, I know you can tell a good story!
                          Story is coming! Just got it dressed and back to camp, now getting some Taco Bell! I spent 13 hours in the field today with zero water and only ate a protein bar. I'm starving!

Comment

Story is coming! Just got it dressed and back to camp, now getting some Taco Bell! I spent 13 hours in the field today with zero water and only ate a protein bar. I'm starving!
                            Practicing not eating for GRXH 2016 are we, The Force is Strong with this one!!!!!

Comment

This is Spinal Tap!

Comment

Ok, so here's the scoop:

As many of you know, I got drawn for the deer hunt, and I've been working on my second buck, since my first one was not able to be recovered, only to be found by our brother Carnage, and then the next morning when Navychief went to get the head for me (Carnage gave him GPS coords, and I was in Houston visiting my son), the antlers were sawed off.

So anyway, it's around 5pm and I have been in the field since 6:30am, chasing deer and glassing all day. No food other than my 7am protein bar and no water. I'm on hands and knees in a crp field, about 90yds away from a 180-190 class megabuck, when I hear the sounds of people way off behind me. No sooner did I hear this, than a good dozen deer ran past me, bumped into my herd containing megabuck, and they all decided to leave together! RATS!

So, I get up, and start to head back, lamenting that it's now too late to arrive at my other stand I baited with sweet feed, and if I went there, I'd likely just spook away any visitors. Well, I don't make it 20 paces when I look back, and see about 25 hogs emerge from a patch of Johnson grass and start feeding about 500yds away from me.

I think to myself that a hog would be a nice consolation prize, and also that the last two pigs I killed were in October and November of 2014, so if I don't kill a pig soon I will be pigless for 2015, which would be downright unacceptable. Stalk time!

I slowly creep up to about 100yds away, when I run out of stuff to hide behind. After a few minutes, some of them drift a bit closer. There is a big alpha sow, a boar with HUGE tusks, some younger sows, and about twenty 60-70lb meatballs. The alpha sow gets to 75, and I think that this is about the best I'm gonna get. So I draw back elevate all the way to my bottom pin (which is set for 70), settle the pin, and let her fly!

As my bow lowered in the follow through of the shot, I could see what felt like an hour of hang time as my arrow arched up up and up, and then sailed down. SHWACK!!!

Holy crap! I can't believe I hit her! Well, she dropped like a sack of potatoes and just started squealing up a storm. Her herd mates closest to her ran a bit, but the rest couldn't care less. The big boar, followed by several others, came up to her to see what the hell all her squalling was about.

I could have lobbed a shot at the boar also, but I wanted to conserve arrows, and if I tried to explain to my buddy Jackster78 that I needed help moving TWO big hogs, he would have probably killed me, hahahahaha.

So, after a whole lot of amazement that I made such a shot (I practice at 80, but have never shot at an animal over 60 before), we carted her out, and I showed Jackster and his kid how to make quick work of field dressing a hog.

Big thanks to Jackster and his son for helping me move that big ol' gal, and come on GRXH! Granger Rangers POR VIDA!
                                Last edited by Sneaky; 12-29-2015, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X