"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
    Welcome. Happy hog hunting! Lots of good critters around those woods. I think some one had a popup blind along the fence and mesquite scrub sendero last year at the bridge....your BIL? Is that land still for sale or is that the land on the other side of the tracks?

Food plots are great to hunt but can encourage nocturnal feeding of deer, especially with lots of night illumination. New moons and dark skies will get the deer feeding at the plots early morn and late evening. Hogs will feed anywhere anytime and arent prone to feeding at plots...in my experience.
    Yeah that's the land I can hunt on, my uncle was letting some kid hunt there last year but i don't think he killed anything. I was hog hunting a food plot last year on some private land my uncle planted for the cows, went out there 27 times and 25 out of those 27 times I had hogs out there feeding. Not once did I have to step into the woods to look for hogs. I'm new to deer hunting also, but since I live in Circleville and I can experiment with food plots in my backyard on the river and take what I've learned and apply them to next year's deer season. So with that said if someone is experienced with food plots we can plant, run a feeder and put up night lights and can hunt 24/7 365.

Comment

Super sweet! Im up river near Weir. I got to thinking about it after I posted...you were essentially hunting a food plot...meant for cattle but still a food plot...I felt retarded. I havent had the luck around a plot...maybe just the hunting location with respect to hog territory.

Comment

Would a pontoon boat be ok to use on the San Gabriel river. Ive been considering getting a new boat for hunting the area and was thinking about a john boat but want a little more room for the family when im on the lake. I tried to find info about if that would even be legal but didnt find much. What do you guys think?
        Last edited by Chillgsxr; 11-04-2015, 12:20 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by Chillgsxr View Post
          Would a pontoon boat be ok to use on the San Gabriel river. Ive been considering getting a new boat for hunting the area and was thinking about a john boat but want a little more room for the family when im on the lake. I tried to find info about if that would even be legal but didnt find much. What do you guys think?
          I've seen pontoons up the river. Wouldn't be my first choice, but doable.

Comment

It's legal, just go slow and stay out of the stumps.

Comment

As long as the motor is not a mercury, lol..I think 2 yrs ago everyone at the granger ranger either cracked their transom or lost a prop except me....I unlock my motor....those stumps will eat your boat in the river or u will get lodged on top of them..

Comment

Itd be taking a chance to get it much past the railroad bridge...sandbars. Down stream from there should be gravy....well, that was before the last slew of storms.
                Last edited by Briar Friar; 11-05-2015, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Cool. Thanks all.

Comment

Went out tonight trying to hit a doe. Had does on three sides of my blind at one point, only issue was the only one in range was directly behind me. Ended up getting to shoot a hog. Had a good blood trail that I tracked for about an hour before it went cold. Couldn't find anything about 6ft from this pic.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Well dang! Pretty frustrating to burn the time and get no meat. Better luck next time.

Comment

Granger hogs are beast. It probably made it to the aide station and got patched up. Some one will finally kill it and when they butcher it up they will find your marks on it.

I thought about just going out hog hunting anf give the does a break. Will see with this cooler weather. Hope you slay them does.

Comment

Anyone chase the piggies around this weekend end? I'm looking to get out first thing tomorrow morning.

Comment

Me and yogaball spent four soaking wet days there and saw two pigs. 14 deer though.

Comment

Went out this weekend and brought home 1 hog. I'll post a pic soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rambo1 View Post
                                Went out this weekend and brought home 1 hog. I'll post a pic soon.
                                Congrats! Cant wait to see the pics.

My breakfast and lunch meat this week is Granger hog, rear leg, seasoned with Dillo Dust. Hooray for me!

Everybody...What broadheads do yall prefer for harvesting hog in Granger? Im not sold on a particular one yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X