"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggested Strategy

I can't take advantage, I have a 50 hour week coming up. But perhaps someone can, and report out.

Granger is up to 518 ft., that is 14 ft over conservation pool. Corps finally started dumping water today. They are putting 2000 cfs. through the dam. (as an aside, it is probably great fishing below the dam right now, but don't slip and fall in!)

That 14 ft of water will have driven the hogs OUT of some of their traditional heavy cover. For instance, I know there are some hogs in the San Gabriel unit (east of willis creek park) as I have heard them call when I was fishing. They are all driven out of there now, most of that unit is under water. All the wooded areas in Sore Finger are also deeply flooded, leaving only the open fields.

Ugh, wonder what last years dead bloodweed (aka giant ragweed) stalks will be like after 2 weeks submerged? Not looking forward to that.

Gate 4 wooded areas will also be partially under water, concentrating the hogs in the remaining wooded areas. Likewise gate 6

Gate 7, eh, not so much, still plenty of woods for the critters to hide in.

So, anybody been able to get out since the water came up?

I fear the lake will now start a slow fall, slowly letting the hogs back into their cover.

Ugh! Wonder what last years dead bloodweed (aka giant ragweed) stalks will be like after 2 weeks submerged.
    Last edited by NightStalker; 06-01-2015, 08:59 PM. Reason: adding

Comment

How is the fishing in the narrow part of the river? I'd like to go scout the higher grounds with my kayak and bow, but if that proves fruitless, then go do some fishing while out there.

Comment

I am no pro. The river is always hit and miss for me. I have the best luck out there with red head white body roadrunners. Catch anything from catfish to bass on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Village View Post
          How is the fishing in the narrow part of the river? I'd like to go scout the higher grounds with my kayak and bow, but if that proves fruitless, then go do some fishing while out there.
          With the river running as it is the narrow part will be too fast. If I were you depending on what you want to fish for I guess. I would put in at Taylor park couple of creek that should be way up around there paddle up and use minnows for some crappie action maybe. Catfishing should be good so paddle out from the boat ramp to the tree line and tie off. fish chicken livers on the bottom, or if you have a cast net get you some shiners. Parks may still be closed though. Good Luck.

Comment

Anyone keen to try take advantage of the high water level at San Gabriel tomorrow and want's some company?

Comment

i hear the lake is closed for a month, I havnt been out there and am assuming you can still get in going from primitive launch?
              Any of yall heard anything on closures

Comment

yep shes closed for the rest of the year...sorry boys time to start hunting elsewhere!

Comment

still 6 feet over pool, they are still dumping 2000 cfs

I am sure the lake is filled with floating wood. Yep, give it a month to settle. Assuming tTS Bill does not fill it up again,.

Comment

If the lake is closed, does that also mean hunting isn't allowed?

Comment

Originally posted by Lexington View Post
                      If the lake is closed, does that also mean hunting isn't allowed?
                      No, you can still hunt. In fact you can still launch small craft from no. 7 and/or the bank. They don't have the lake closed, just the ramps and parks.

Comment

Anyone been to check out fishing at the dam?

Comment

I read it was hot on a FB group. Not sure how good the info is.

Comment

I see lots of vehicles down there every afternoon. Guess I'll have the to stop by and put a line out and see for myself!

Comment

anyone spot any hogs lately? think i'm going this weekend....

Comment

Originally posted by bushcraftbrandon View Post
                                anyone spot any hogs lately? think i'm going this weekend....
                                Sorefinger is pretty good this time of year.

lmao

I have not been out in a long time. My guess is vietnam jungle right now. Bring a machette.

Comment

Working...
                                X