"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drahthaar View Post
    Long time lurker, first time poster. Wanted to say thanks for the great education you guys have given me while following this thread. Went out for my first Granger hog hunt on Sunday. Ran into Neano (good to meet you!) just past the primitive campsite. Wandered around that area for a good 8 miles in total. Lots of pig signs, but didn't chase up any live ones. Sounded like a military invasion near the border with private land, the shooting was on private land but close, so I headed out of there before I caught a stray bullet.

Went over to 6 around noon. Saw great signs and then got on 4 different hogs. That was a blast, and I'm hooked. Didn't get a shot off, but was THIS close. Chased up a great looking 8 pointer and a few doe as well. I know you can't shoot 'em, but fun to see. Looking forward to participating in the thread and possibly meeting up with some of you guys to learn from the pros.
    Welcome

Comment

Long time lurker, first time poster. Wanted to say thanks for the great education you guys have given me while following this thread. Went out for my first Granger hog hunt on Sunday. Ran into Neano (good to meet you!) just past the primitive campsite. Wandered around that area for a good 8 miles in total. Lots of pig signs, but didn't chase up any live ones. Sounded like a military invasion near the border with private land, the shooting was on private land but close, so I headed out of there before I caught a stray bullet.

Went over to 6 around noon. Saw great signs and then got on 4 different hogs. That was a blast, and I'm hooked. Didn't get a shot off, but was THIS close. Chased up a great looking 8 pointer and a few doe as well. I know you can't shoot 'em, but fun to see. Looking forward to participating in the thread and possibly meeting up with some of you guys to learn from the pros.
      Welcome Drahthaar! Keep up the hard work and it'll pay off.

Comment

Chased up a great looking 8 pointer and a few doe as well. I know you can't shoot 'em, .
        Whut? I carry a big fat blunt rubber arrow tip for shooting things I can't shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by RickyS View Post
          Whut? I carry a big fat blunt rubber arrow tip for shooting things I can't shoot.
          Man, how much fun would an Airow be in that situation??

(I can't post links yet Google it)

Comment

Originally posted by TXAggie06 View Post
            We see them the most in the morning around 7 to 8 just after sunrise but if you are moving alot you will see them well into the afternoon. Can't tell you about night time cuz we only go out mornings. They typically will scatter out maybe 100 yards and circle back around to where they were.
            thanks for the info!

Comment

WELCOME!!!!
              I was a lurker for quite some time before i started posting.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

@TXAggie06, that looks like some good sausage, you'll have to share the recipie!

@brandondferrier I chased up all the ones I saw between 1-2 PM. They were bedded down, but now I know where they live

Comment

The Italian sausage came out amazing!

For every 3 pounds of pork (after fat added):

2 tbsps minced garlic
                  1 tbsp smoked paprika
                  2 tsps toasted fennel seeds (freshly crushed)
                  0.5 tbsps salt
                  0.5 tbsps Goya Adobo seasoning
                  1 tbsps black peppercorns (freshly cracked)
                  1.5 tsps cayenne
                  0.5 tsp anise (freshly ground)
                  2 tbsps Italian parsley leaves (freshly chopped)
                  3 tbsps dry red wine
                  Fresh hog casings (optional)
                  Last edited by TXAggie06; 12-15-2014, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Whom all is going towards the end of the week, weekend. Looks like light rain Thursday/Friday then Saturday looks to be ideal. Sunny and 58.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                      Whom all is going towards the end of the week, weekend. Looks like light rain Thursday/Friday then Saturday looks to be ideal. Sunny and 58.

Saturday is looking great! I plan on going out that morning, probably checking out Gate 7 then backtrack and explore Gate 7 to 6.

Comment

Looks like me and couple friends might head to 6 on Sunday morning. Good luck on Saturday!
                        Last edited by Drahthaar; 12-15-2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Just a heads up, dove season re-open on Friday. Their might be a lot of dove hunters out there this weekend. They are not going to wear orange.

Comment

Originally posted by CARNAGE68 View Post
                            Just a heads up, dove season re-open on Friday. Their might be a lot of dove hunters out there this weekend. They are not going to wear orange.
                            As a Granger dove hunter, if they are where I am planning to be, they are some seriously misguided dove hunters :P

Thanks for the heads up, will be on the lookout!

Comment

Originally posted by TXAggie06 View Post
                              The Italian sausage came out amazing!

For every 3 pounds of pork (after fat added):

2 tbsps minced garlic
                              1 tbsp smoked paprika
                              2 tsps toasted fennel seeds (freshly crushed)
                              0.5 tbsps salt
                              0.5 tbsps Goya Adobo seasoning
                              1 tbsps black peppercorns (freshly cracked)
                              1.5 tsps cayenne
                              0.5 tsp anise (freshly ground)
                              2 tbsps Italian parsley leaves (freshly chopped)
                              3 tbsps dry red wine
                              Fresh hog casings (optional)
                              Dude...this sounds awesome, I can't wait till I can make my own harvested sausage

Comment

My hogs were shoot in the last hour of light, but we had 50 Granger Rangers pushing pigs plus the locals. "Shoot 'em in the lips" they will have their Nikes on.

Comment

Working...
                                X